trading 2008 Z06 for 2013 Boss

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
.......since burnin4 is a big strip guy.

^I'm not really a big drag strip guy, but I use the strip to help establish baselines and as a tool for feedback. A time slip allows me to analyze where I stand, and where I need to improve.

My playground used to be on the street where my Z was king, but now I live in a busier city, value my license, have more responsibilities, and enjoy night/weekend spirited driving with an occasional trip to the strip.

Also, my Boss on street tires will run door to door with a stock C6Z till about 100mph, I have absolutely no doubts. It'll all be over when the Z gets traction and begins to stretch its legs in 3rd/4th gear, but up to 100mph the driver of a Z will be down right nervous. Both cars are going to have very similar trap speeds with the Z being slightly stronger. There is no doubt that a Z is a superior car, but this Boss with bolt-ons is a nasty ride.

Last edited:

ihatepotholes

Established Member
^I'm not really a big drag strip guy, but I use the strip to help establish baselines and as a tool for feedback. A time slip allows me to analyze where I stand, and where I need to improve.

My playground used to be on the street where my Z was king, but now I live in a busier city, value my license, have more responsibilities, and enjoy night/weekend spirited driving with an occasional trip to the strip.

Also, my Boss on street tires will run door to door with a stock C6Z till about 100mph, I have absolutely no doubts. It'll all be over when the Z gets traction and begins to stretch its legs in 3rd/4th gear, but up to 100mph the driver of a Z will be down right nervous. Both cars are going to have very similar trap speeds with the Z being slightly stronger. There is no doubt that a Z is a superior car, but this Boss with bolt-ons is a nasty ride.

you are way too nice. i think you have the most experience here when it comes to drag racing both cars. i wouldn't even bother explaining anything to him. by the way, i love that in car video, the exhaust sounds awesome!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
to those following this thread, I was able to match my best mph from my stock Z06 to my Boss with bolt-ons, both trapped 123mph. I hope this provides enough evidence to substantiate my claims that a bolt-on Boss versus a stock C6Z is a drivers race. The Boss will need tires at the drag strip because the oem 285's just cant handle the power compared to the 325's on the Z.

Boss qtr mile pass

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu28Dh4StYI&feature=g-upl&context=G2c3962aAUAAAAAAAAAA"]Boss at The Rock - YouTube[/nomedia]

Here's is my best mph from my 06 Z06

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnImun7Ich8&feature=g-upl&context=G2ccac3cAUAAAAAAANAA"]11.50 at 123.95 Bone Stock C6Z06 - YouTube[/nomedia]

My Z had a little better et's but my Boss easily has the potential to get to a 11.50 or better with a little more practice.

svt1111

Established Member
to those following this thread, I was able to match my best mph from my stock Z06 to my Boss with bolt-ons, both trapped 123mph. I hope this provides enough evidence to substantiate my claims that a bolt-on Boss versus a stock C6Z is a drivers race. The Boss will need tires at the drag strip because the oem 285's just cant handle the power compared to the 325's on the Z.

Boss qtr mile pass

Boss at The Rock - YouTube

11.50 at 123.95 Bone Stock C6Z06 - YouTube

My Z had a little better et's but my Boss easily has the potential to get to a 11.50 or better with a little more practice.

Nice run man.

I love how you left soft and didn't even powershift. Nice driving though! Makes me kind of want to recant the statement I made earlier about leaving mine stock! lol.

You have stock control arms still? How did you set the shocks, and what was your 60', and launch rpm upon slipping the clutch?

Thanks- and great job!

You really confirmed what I thought about the Z06 vs. Boss debate since I have some seat time in the Z as well. I don't know why people struggle with believing this coming from people who have had both cars, lol.

I bet with line lock you can really heat up those DR's and let her rock!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Nice run man.

I love how you left soft and didn't even powershift. Nice driving though! Makes me kind of want to recant the statement I made earlier about leaving mine stock! lol.

You have stock control arms still? How did you set the shocks, and what was your 60', and launch rpm upon slipping the clutch?

Thanks- and great job!

You really confirmed what I thought about the Z06 vs. Boss debate since I have some seat time in the Z as well. I don't know why people struggle with believing this coming from people who have had both cars, lol.

I bet with line lock you can really heat up those DR's and let her rock!

I was having a hard time with my 60ft's yesterday, the stock clutch hated 17psi + hard launches, as well as power shifts. It would immediately bog/slip after every shift. I also cooked the clutch on a few of my burnouts, which made for an inconsistent day. I went back to 23psi and was able to get a little spin off the line and the clutch was more forgiving when shifting. Needless to say I learned a lot yesterday and will make significant improvements my next time out. I'm considering a line lock right now, fairly inexpensive mod with great results.

I have metco billet lower control arms and brackets. I tried launching all over the board, but 4500'ish plus a little slip was kinda working. I had 4 1.7's but no 1.6's. Suspension was set at 3 all the way around, which next time I will try full stiff in the front and full soft in the rear.

there was a stock C6Z at the strip with a very inexperienced driver and I'm not sure if he even got 1 clean pass, blew every run.

svt1111

Established Member
I was having a hard time with my 60ft's yesterday, the stock clutch hated 17psi + hard launches, as well as power shifts. It would immediately bog/slip after every shift. I also cooked the clutch on a few of my burnouts, which made for an inconsistent day. I went back to 23psi and was able to get a little spin off the line and the clutch was more forgiving when shifting. Needless to say I learned a lot yesterday and will make significant improvements my next time out. I'm considering a line lock right now, fairly inexpensive mod with great results.

I have metco billet lower control arms and brackets. I tried launching all over the board, but 4500'ish plus a little slip was kinda working. I had 4 1.7's but no 1.6's. Suspension was set at 3 all the way around, which next time I will try full stiff in the front and full soft in the rear.

there was a stock C6Z at the strip with a very inexperienced driver and I'm not sure if he even got 1 clean pass, blew every run.

Thank you for all that helpful info.

The first thing that came to my mind when I watched your run was "he must not have line lock and is trying to save his clutch". And you just confirmed it.

I am a firm believer that the MT82 trans is not junk. The clutch Ford puts in our cars is barely adequate for stock power levels, much less another 50-60 rwhp. I think even stock Bosses need a clutch upgrade.

I'm very curious to see how much the line lock helps keep clutch temps down during your burnout, and consequently how the car responds shifting-wise as a result. I expect 11.50's at probably the same MPH. I'm betting you will be able to power shift, but by the time you hit the 3-4 shift, the clutch will be so hot that it may hang up over 7k going into 4th. What are your thoughts?

With no line lock, my pulley and tuned GT500 went 11.80's. With line lock, I went 11.40's consistently. That was with only 506 rwhp. That's how much a proper burnout made a difference for that car, with full stock suspension and heavy stock wheels (16" rear wheels with 28-11.50-16 bias ply).

Regarding shock settings, I'd try going 5 on the right rear, 4 on the left rear, and full soft (1) on the front. This will help settle the chassis and prevent rebound and increase weight transfer. Although I've never made a single pass yet in my Boss ( bought it 2 days before Christmas) so I'm not sure you want to listen to me :beer:

Sniper342

Established Member

Boss qtr mile pass

Man, that is awesome! Nice runs, nice driving!!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
AR lt's, magnaflow catback, Airaid cai, jms tune. I also have steeda springs, metco billet lower control arms with brackets and an mgw shifter. RT-S Welds with MT's

That's awesome. You know with almost the same exact mods on my car (AR lt's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, tune, shifter, Eibach lowering springs, and control arms) I went almost a full second and 10mph slower lol. 12.60's @ 113. Now granted the weather wasn't great and I was on the stock 20" wheels and rubber and only got a 2.0 60ft, but even if I shave half a second off my time with wheels and tires your Boss eats me alive. Well maybe not with the power I'll be making now, but damn those Bosses are mean!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Thank you for all that helpful info.

The first thing that came to my mind when I watched your run was "he must not have line lock and is trying to save his clutch". And you just confirmed it.

I am a firm believer that the MT82 trans is not junk. The clutch Ford puts in our cars is barely adequate for stock power levels, much less another 50-60 rwhp. I think even stock Bosses need a clutch upgrade.

I'm very curious to see how much the line lock helps keep clutch temps down during your burnout, and consequently how the car responds shifting-wise as a result. I expect 11.50's at probably the same MPH. I'm betting you will be able to power shift, but by the time you hit the 3-4 shift, the clutch will be so hot that it may hang up over 7k going into 4th. What are your thoughts?

With no line lock, my pulley and tuned GT500 went 11.80's. With line lock, I went 11.40's consistently. That was with only 506 rwhp. That's how much a proper burnout made a difference for that car, with full stock suspension and heavy stock wheels (16" rear wheels with 28-11.50-16 bias ply).

Regarding shock settings, I'd try going 5 on the right rear, 4 on the left rear, and full soft (1) on the front. This will help settle the chassis and prevent rebound and increase weight transfer. Although I've never made a single pass yet in my Boss ( bought it 2 days before Christmas) so I'm not sure you want to listen to me :beer:

I'm actually pretty impressed with the mt82, much better then my tr6060 in my 2011 Shelby GT500. The oem clutch handles the stock power levels just fine, but does not like an extra 50whp. I'm going to install a new clutch and line lock and go back to the strip, should make a significant difference. I'm also going to play with the suspension settings next time out as well. I'll report back with the quickness :beer:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
That's awesome. You know with almost the same exact mods on my car (AR lt's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, tune, shifter, Eibach lowering springs, and control arms) I went almost a full second and 10mph slower lol. 12.60's @ 113. Now granted the weather wasn't great and I was on the stock 20" wheels and rubber and only got a 2.0 60ft, but even if I shave half a second off my time with wheels and tires your Boss eats me alive. Well maybe not with the power I'll be making now, but damn those Bosses are mean!

haha, thanks! I couldnt be more impressed with my Boss, and look forward to unveiling even more of its potential :beer:

lucheski

Established Member

Allotta people here worship the C6Z, it isnt even worth trying to argue or convince... I appreciated your commments and insight about the boss vs c6z not suprized though!
:beer:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member

Boss qtr mile pass

Nice passes. I think it is a no brainer against a Z on stock rubber though.
Also worth noting is your wheel and tire combo is probably cutting 100lbs from the car.

Sniper342

Established Member
Picked up my Boss a couple days ago. LOVE it! No regrets so far! :)

Anyone interested in a 2013 Boss GHIG with Recaro/Torsen, there's one coming in by August 31 to Fenton Motors Ford in Pampa, Texas, and they will not be charging over MSRP.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I need to get a run in with a boss.... this thread is making my head hurt.
thumbnail.aspx

Supernova

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for posting the pics! I really want to see that color in person, because it always looks different in pictures depending on the light. I love the look of the '13 Boss 302!

Users who are viewing this thread