Trying to get my 04 Cobra ready for the track

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So, after reading this thread :pop: witch is very interesting by the way,
no body mention anything about IRS differential oil cooler...
So, does that meen the diff. is up to the punishment of road course racing ?
there is nothing to worry :shrug: about overheating the oil ?

I consider a diff cooler "hard core", I don't run one and have never burped my diff fluid or damaged anything... yet.

The tracks you run on DO make a BIG difference as far as what mods are considered needed, and optional. Track availability also affects brake pad choices and pad life.
I have only run at TWS and MSR Houston so far.

Something that ALL autocrossers and open trackers will eventually have to address is, "Do I replace my diff clutches or do I just suck it up and put in a gear type torque sensing diff???"

Due to the higher difficulty than on a stick axle, an IRS diff clutch change as regular maintenance was not an attractive option for me. So when I had my IRS out for the Delrin I put in a Detroit TrueTrac. I also drilled and tapped my housing for a drain plug. I run Royal Purple Max Gear 75W140 and change it once a year.

Many would consider what I did to be pretty hard core also, but I'm pretty happy with the results and reduced maintenance. I did it myself so the labor was free.(except ring and pinion set up)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Jimmy's response is spot on. I don't believe a diff cooler is needed for 95% of us OT guys. I drilled and tapped my center section as well and also run a diff temp gauge. If the fluid gets too hot, I just change the fluid after the track day. Addtionally I wrapped the exhaust with heatwrap from the mufflers back. Diff temp really depends on weather conditions and track layout. I have seen the diff run cooler ON track than on the way to the track if there is a slight crosswind while I am running.

Also the Truetrac or Torsen T2R will run a bit cooler than the factory posi unit.

Users who are viewing this thread