tune already installed?

vr4

Established Member
well i bought my 03 cobra with some mods already on it. ( JDM long tubes, x-pipe, catback) and it appeared to previously had a CAI on it, the thermostat bolts have been removed for some reason, and im sure it had a pulley at some time.

well we put a 2.93 pulley on it yesterday and tried to put the tune from hypertech in. it wouldnt take the tune. we checked the car the hypertech came out of and it was not installed in that car. is it possible mine already has a tune in it and this is why it could not be overwritten?

the car wont be driven for the next week (pulled trans to rebuild it) but when i get it back on the road im going to check the timing under full boost ( im a tech for ford so i can check all this using IDS) and i will be putting a wide band on it to check AFR. if it all checks out how it should ill be giving the hypertech back to my friend.

what are the chances the car was running a pulley tune on the stock pulley? it went 13.3@108 completly blowing the tires off in 2nd and 3rd. i short shifted into 4th at 5k to stop the spinning.

yes i know its a potential time bomb without knowing for sure if it has the proper tune for the pulley. im the future i will be taking care of this with either an SCT or tweecer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Chances are pretty slim the car ran a tune with the stock pulley, although it's been done. I'm not really familiar with the Hypertech, but did you turn the ignition key on?

Until you can check the current tune and get a correct tune load, obviously you shouldn't get into boost. The fact that it won't be driven for the next week is good. Best of luck!

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Get it on a dyno and check the A/F - that's the best way. Also, look at the computer it might not have been tuned, but it might be chipped. The chip might override the tune? The chip is located on the passenger side under dash on the right.

'NATOR

Hasta la vista, baby.
Established Member
Just reflash the ECM to the AMZ1 program from Ford and reload the hypertech flash. :)

vr4

Established Member
[QUOTE='NATOR]Just reflash the ECM to the AMZ1 program from Ford and reload the hypertech flash. :)[/QUOTE]

thats what my plan was after checking the AFR if i didnt like what i saw.

'NATOR

Hasta la vista, baby.
Established Member
vr4 said:
thats what my plan was after checking the AFR if i didnt like what i saw.

Figured. Just thought I'd throw that in there for those who may "search" this topic in the future. :)

Users who are viewing this thread