turbo build suggestions needed

ia96svt

Established Member
so finally after a year of saving and gathering some parts i'm going to start my build and need a few
suggestions

motor so far consists of
5.0 stroker eagle crank and rods arias -17cc pistons
teksid block arp mains and jack screws
canton oil pan and windiage tray
99 cobra heads ported
c&g fabrication front mount turbo header
and comp cams xe 270bh 114 cams with .269 .267 duration and .475 and .450 lift

i plan on using a sullivan intake and around a 76mm turbo and running e85

a few questions i have are how big of a wastegate should i go with. I purchased the hotside without one and just planned on welding one in myself.

i also planned on using a cometic head gasket. should i go with standard thickness or should i go wit a slightly thicker version.

and oil pump selection any suggestions on what should be used melling, mmr's or mmrs hurricane

any help is much appreciated!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Here are my recommendations, use a stock C head intake and cams better suited for a turbo. The Sullivan loosk good but or engien not seeing over 7000rpm they are terrible performers, the stock intake will make the same peak power but offer 100hp/100ft lbs more at 400rpm while spooling the turbos muc quicker. Also, the stock 96-98 cams are great for turbos (and free). Lastly, a 17cc dished pistons will leave you with very low compression and sacrifice a lot of off boost power/driveability.

Any billet oil pump gear will work.
A thicker headgasket will lower the compression even further, stick with thin.

Is the crank forged?

ia96svt

Established Member
yes the whole Assembly if forged crank is rated 1500 and rods and bolts are rated for 1000
i sold my stock cams but do have a set of 98 mark 8 cams laying around and if i'm correct they just have a shorter duration?

ia96svt

Established Member
what makes a good turbo cam? what should i look for long or short duration higher or lower lobe centers?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
what makes a good turbo cam? what should i look for long or short duration higher or lower lobe centers?
the specs vary as each combo is different and each owner desires a different output. This is why a generic cam set like MMR's Stg 3 is often not the best choice.

For a street car with turbo friendly gears I like to keep the durations to less than 226 and the intake LC no higher than 108. This provides quick spooling and a broad powerband. The early intake valve closing allows for great off boost power and drveability even with a 3.55 or even a 3.27 rear gear.

Durations such as those found in the Comp 106400s offer terrible off boost power and do not work well with a high rear gear.

Last edited:

ia96svt

Established Member
car has 4.10s with a t56 as of now. would custom grind cams be a good route and what would the cost be? looking to be in the 700 800 hp range

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread