TV wall mounts

03TorchedMach1

Established Member
I recenty bought my first home and want to mount my 46" plasma over my fireplace. I bought a Monoprice.com tilting wall mount and tonight when I was doing a little prep, I found out that the studs over the fireplace are not placed 16" apart. I have one stud in the dead center of the wall but to the left and right of that, they are 22" apart. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount this thing?

canibus

Established Member
If you haven't yet found a solution I have an idea or two, all depends on how involved you want to get.

Go to a lumber yard and ask them to cut you a piece of hardwood the width of the number of studs you need. The height can be the same as the bracket or taller if you'd like.

Here is where you need to make a decision.

You can coat it with the color of your choice, and screw it to the wall.

or

you can cut out the drywall exactly where the board will go and screw it to the studs. the board has to be the same thickness as your drywall. This way it will flush out to the rest of the wall. You can then have a drywall guy "float it out" with drywall mud. paint it and you won't be able to tell you cut a square into your wall. You can then screw your bracket to the board hidden under the mud. You no longer have to worry about studs because you have a complete solid piece of wood back there. It gives you more options as far as positioning. This is where a taller piece than your bracket would come in handy. Your position option go through the roof.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
you can either find a mount that has a plate thats about 30" wide....or hit one stud and sheetrock anchor 4 other screws.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I wouldn't trust mounting a heavy ass plasma to only one stud. That TV is probably close to 100 lbs

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
If you haven't yet found a solution I have an idea or two, all depends on how involved you want to get.

Go to a lumber yard and ask them to cut you a piece of hardwood the width of the number of studs you need. The height can be the same as the bracket or taller if you'd like.

Here is where you need to make a decision.

You can coat it with the color of your choice, and screw it to the wall.

or

you can cut out the drywall exactly where the board will go and screw it to the studs. the board has to be the same thickness as your drywall. This way it will flush out to the rest of the wall. You can then have a drywall guy "float it out" with drywall mud. paint it and you won't be able to tell you cut a square into your wall. You can then screw your bracket to the board hidden under the mud. You no longer have to worry about studs because you have a complete solid piece of wood back there. It gives you more options as far as positioning. This is where a taller piece than your bracket would come in handy. Your position option go through the roof.

Damn you Mexicans are crafty!

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I wouldn't trust mounting a heavy ass plasma to only one stud. That TV is probably close to 100 lbs

Mine is mounted to one stud, with about 6 large screws (offset). It's a fully articulated arm setup and can turn almost 90*.

Now that I think about it IIRC the mount was rated up to 42" TV's.....

Davemcc

Established Member
Before you do anything, may I recommend considering a new place to mount it. The general consensus amongst people who mount TV's over their fireplace is that the viewing height is too high. It becomes uncomfortable and can cause sore neck and headaches. I swear this TV over the fireplace thing was invented by some interior designer that never watched a TV before and now every home designer and contractor is on the bandwagon.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no probs here with mine over the fireplace, then again I bought a tilting mount (why would you not?). The plasma looks great and off angle viewing is still awesome. I have seen sheetrock anchors hold 200# plus, and with 2 lag bolts in the studs for peace of mind and 4 of the appropriately sized anchors I see no problems.

Question though, was the wall already prewired or have you already done the wiring?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

They're not that heavy. A 46" plasma is around 65lbs, give or take.

I had only one stud I could mount my 42" plasma to in my bedroom. A good friend of mine does A/V and communications stuff for the state for a living. He was able to cut a 2x4 the width of the studs and drop it down between the studs in the wall and screw it into place. The tv isn't going anywhere now.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Before you do anything, may I recommend considering a new place to mount it. The general consensus amongst people who mount TV's over their fireplace is that the viewing height is too high. It becomes uncomfortable and can cause sore neck and headaches. I swear this TV over the fireplace thing was invented by some interior designer that never watched a TV before and now every home designer and contractor is on the bandwagon.

Nonsense, mines been over my fireplace for 3 years and has been fine, i think you will find many others that will disagree.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

You mean 65 pounds?

90% of fireplaces are the perfect height to mount a TV over.

I have no probs here with mine over the fireplace, then again I bought a tilting mount (why would you not?). The plasma looks great and off angle viewing is still awesome. I have seen sheetrock anchors hold 200# plus, and with 2 lag bolts in the studs for peace of mind and 4 of the appropriately sized anchors I see no problems.

correct

They're not that heavy. A 46" plasma is around 65lbs, give or take.

correct

Nonsense, mines been over my fireplace for 3 years and has been fine, i think you will find many others that will disagree.

correct :banana:

Goodlife

Established Member
Yeah, I just mounted my 70 lb 50" G10 Panasonic with 2, 3" by 1/4" wood lag screws on one stud, and 3 drywall anchors. There was a 40" Sony lcd there before with just the 3 drywall anchors. Did fine.
Go to home depot or lowes, and get the drywall anchors that come 6 to a package.
I cant remember the name right now but you predrill the wall a certain size, and screw the anchors in, then once you put the screw through the mount into the anchor, the screw will push a straight piece of metal through the end of the anchor and pull itself tight against the inside of the wall. I didnt use these but will next time. I purchased them just as extra. Hard to explain in words.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Yeah, I just mounted my 70 lb 50" G10 Panasonic with 2, 3" by 1/4" wood lag screws on one stud, and 3 drywall anchors. There was a 40" Sony lcd there before with just the 3 drywall anchors. Did fine.
Go to home depot or lowes, and get the drywall anchors that come 6 to a package.
I cant remember the name right now but you predrill the wall a certain size, and screw the anchors in, then once you put the screw through the mount into the anchor, the screw will push a straight piece of metal through the end of the anchor and pull itself tight against the inside of the wall. I didnt use these but will next time. I purchased them just as extra. Hard to explain in words.
X2, i use these anchors for everything hung on drywall at my house when a stud is not available. They are very strong.

03TorchedMach1

Established Member
I think I am going to go with the first suggestion...sinking a board into the drywall and mounting the tv mount to that. Not really sure if I trust the drywall anchors or not. A good friend of mine who builds homes for a living is going to help me out.

I bought a tilting mount to help with the viewing angle. We don't sit in front of the tv for hours at a time so it should be just fine. We usually lay on the couch to watch tv so our heads will be propped up by a pillow so our necks will be ok.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
The mounts are made so you can usually hit 2 studs, but on the off chance you can hit only one, you can use toggle anchors (available at the Home Cheapo) in several other places.

97121ac1s.gif

Easier to install toggles;

97802ac1s.gif

Mcmaster.com has them as well.

Thread in anchors are risky.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
What model # mount did you pick up?? You might have gotten the wrong one for your stud spacing. If you did then they accept exchanges no problem....

Users who are viewing this thread