twin screw+stock driveline question

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I was contemplating swapping input shafts when I swap out my clutch, but after seeing this, I'll stay with the 10 spline.

Not to derail the thread, but Jimmy how do you like your Whipple? I'm contemplating a Whipple running low boost.

Last edited:

doubleblack

Established Member
LOF, w/ a road course car, I don't think you'll ever shock the stock input shaft enough to break it...I haven't heard of failures from on power blasts either...it's only those grabby clutches w/ a high rpm drag launch and sticky tires that breaks them...if you're on stock half shafts, I think those should go before your input shaft...

BTW, I liked my whipple w/ 13psi, 91 octane, because I've only known stock eaton/ stock pulley until now...I'm not sure how your ported eaton compares to a low boost twin screw, but I'd say go for it...when you're off the track, would you ever consider 15-17psi on the streets just for some fun? If so, definately go for it because you'll at least have your 13psi pulley for the track...

Last edited:

sonicblu03

Established Member
Whipple @ 18lbs, stock clutch, input shaft. Do have BF Brace, IRS bushings and SFCs though. No problems thus far. Clutch still drives and grabs like new, haven't really beat on it lately though. Car has about 27K miles on it.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
626 hp 590 tq.

10 spline dfx clutch and irs brace stock half shafts.

before this setup, i was making around 600hp and same tq and ran a 11.3 at 128 on my 18 inch true forged rims. 60 foot was 1.8 or 1.9.

after reading this tread, i think ill wait till my clutch goes before i replace my clutch and input shaft.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I was contemplating swapping input shafts when I swap out my clutch, but after seeing this, I'll stay with the 10 spline.

Not to derail the thread, but Jimmy how do you like your Whipple? I'm contemplating a Whipple running low boost.

I love it!! No regrets at all. I came from a stock pulley car also(like doubleblack above), so I was a little blown away at how bad street tires are at dealing with this increase in power. I really have to pedal the car now, no more mat and go.
A lot of people still think the car is stock, "It's so quiet!" LOL!
And then of course .... "You must whip it... whip it good"!!!
Even under boost it's quiet with the 3.50" pulley.
For example...
[thread derail]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0"]YouTube - Jimmysidecarr Takes a Lap Around MSR-H[/ame]
[/thread derail]

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
That looks like so much fun, i've been thinking about going to a road course but i'm sure it'd cost a good amunt of money to get mine in condition to run the course.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That looks like so much fun, i've been thinking about going to a road course but i'm sure it'd cost a good amunt of money to get mine in condition to run the course.

What condition?
That is a common misconception that prevents a lot of people from giving it a try.
You are actually better off running a stocker when new to open track.
If you want to make it more durable for track it's easy. Just pulley down to 15 to 13 pounds, fatten up the tune to about 11.1 to one, shift no higher than 6K.

The rest is just the usual track prep... new brake(fresh) fluid, fresh bedded in pads, and a SA2005 helmet.

You will spend some money on fuel though.
Give it a try, you don't need to change anything really except fresh brake fluid.
Possibly a change in underwear...LOL J/K!

doubleblack

Established Member
jimmy, thanks for the vid and awesome to finally see your car in action...it's pretty amazing how the stock clutch is holding up w/ the whipple...how many track events a year do you get to?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
jimmy, thanks for the vid and awesome to finally see your car in action...it's pretty amazing how the stock clutch is holding up w/ the whipple...how many track events a year do you get to?

Thanks! I'm pretty jazzed that a stock springs and shocks car can lap as fast as it does. It's got 20K mostly street miles on it now.

In the begining only one track event a year(8 sessions per 2 day event).
In 2007 I did 2. I am scheduled to do my first 08 event at TWS 3/29-30. If fuel doesn't go up too much more, I'll see if I can swing three again in 08. Although not a true daily driver I do enjoy a good amount of street driving.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I love it!! No regrets at all. I came from a stock pulley car also(like doubleblack above), so I was a little blown away at how bad street tires are at dealing with this increase in power. I really have to pedal the car now, no more mat and go.
A lot of people still think the car is stock, "It's so quiet!" LOL!
And then of course .... "You must whip it... whip it good"!!!
Even under boost it's quiet with the 3.50" pulley.
For example...
[thread derail]

Wow it is pretty quiet!

Yea my car is loud. My gf and friends that go to the track with me say everyone turns and looks to see Carlos, Steve and I the first couple sessions because all you can hear are the blowers on the front straight. We get a lot of people wandering over to look at the cars after our sessions.

I seem to be about equal in torque with a 13 # Whipple, but above 5K RPM is where the Whipple takes off with 50 or so extra HP. I've driven a Whipple on the street, but not on track.

Here is a vid of Steve and I along with an awesome Fox. You can also see Carlos fly by.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/whitemustang/?action=view&current=100_1861.flv

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
What condition?
That is a common misconception that prevents a lot of people from giving it a try.
You are actually better off running a stocker when new to open track.
If you want to make it more durable for track it's easy. Just pulley down to 15 to 13 pounds, fatten up the tune to about 11.1 to one, shift no higher than 6K.

The rest is just the usual track prep... new brake(fresh) fluid, fresh bedded in pads, and a SA2005 helmet.

You will spend some money on fuel though.
Give it a try, you don't need to change anything really except fresh brake fluid.
Possibly a change in underwear...LOL J/K!

I'm more or less referring to new tires, brakes, and i'm sure a 10.5" wheel wouldn't be the best to run on the track. I don't have the stock rear wheels either. I do have a helmet though, maybe it won't cost me too much, I actually ran into a guy at my work that runs his 01ish Cobra and is a trainer/teacher, I should have gotten his number or track location. I'll look into it and learn a little more about what is involved before I do anything, it's probably not the best thing to take my car the the course during the summer out here either lol she'd be pissed

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
thats a cool vid jimmy. i think im gonna go for the whipple. so far i dont think i have any clutch slipping, but i will know for sure when i get the whipple put on. i hope the stocker hangs on long enough for me to have some fun.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
With that whipple I don't think that stock clutch will last long. But it comes down to how you drive it. It seems most of the breakage and problems with these cars come when over 500. But of course thats just my opinion.

doubleblack

Established Member
With that whipple I don't think that stock clutch will last long. But it comes down to how you drive it. It seems most of the breakage and problems with these cars come when over 500. But of course thats just my opinion.

exactly, don't expect a stock clutch to even last on stock horsepower if launched hard...it's all in how you drive...i'm just impressed that the road course guys are still on the stock clutch especially w/ jimmy on twinscrew...but if i'm not mistaken, smooth driving is better at the tracks...

now I'm on 65K, but if I had a lot less like 90% of terminator owners, that clutch should last a long time if not driven too aggressively...if you want to have some real fun, beef everything up including the input shaft and half shafts...what sucks is that the level 5's seem to be hit or miss especially w/ the new ones that are out...

doubleblack

Established Member
Wow it is pretty quiet!

Yea my car is loud. My gf and friends that go to the track with me say everyone turns and looks to see Carlos, Steve and I the first couple sessions because all you can hear are the blowers on the front straight. We get a lot of people wandering over to look at the cars after our sessions.

I seem to be about equal in torque with a 13 # Whipple, but above 5K RPM is where the Whipple takes off with 50 or so extra HP. I've driven a Whipple on the street, but not on track.

Here is a vid of Steve and I along with an awesome Fox. You can also see Carlos fly by.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/whitemustang/?action=view&current=100_1861.flv

lof, nice action vid...that lightweight fox was hounding you,LOL

how did you like your whipple experience on the street in comparison to your ported eaton...and what boost was the twins screw on? I've never been in a ported car but they all seem to run hard...

Users who are viewing this thread