Unmarked police cars legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Is it legal for police to have completely unmarked police cars? I always thought that they had to be marked in some way or another. Here in arkansas, the "unmarked police cars" have big police logos on the passanger side doors. Why would they do this if it is legal to have a completely unmarked car?:shrug:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I would guess that different states may have different requirements, but ours are completely unmarked here...:shrug:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
<~~~~ cop here, and it is legal in North Carolina. It is called inconspicuous patrol, as compared to conspicuous patrol for a marked vehicle.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Here in New Orleans, they are legal, where as the next parrish (county) over, they are illegal.

NO a few years back had a rapist called the "bluelight bandit", he would pull over women late at night and rape them. Since then, all of the parrishes (counties) surrounding NO have abolished this practice. Strange that all of the other parrished have done this, considering the "bluelight bandit" only struck in NO.:bash:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Perfectly legal in New Jersey.

The ones with markings on the doors are called "Slick Tops," as there are no lights on top.

These cars usually have grill mounted wig wags as well as one blue light on the right sideview mirror(facing foward) and one red on the left sideview mirror(facing foward) and the rear lights have burst flash as well.

This is specifically intended for traffic use to avoid detecting when pacing someone or when behind someone conducting an investigation.

Ginsu

Established Member
It depends on the state if it is legal or not. But as stated above, the unmarked cars are used for traffic as well as surveilence (sp). I wish my department had unmarked cars! All the crap I see going on while driving my personal car never happens while on patrol. Why, a police car sticks out like a sore thumb.

03blackvert

Established Member
Virginia has 'em. The new ones are Monte Carlo's. No markings on them. Standard license plates. About 50% have the A-piller light, the rest don't. The use flashing lights behind the grill, behind the rear view, and an extremely low profile (LED perhaps?) rear "bar" in the bottom of the rear window. Generally they only have a single, small antenna out back. Extremely hard to spot in traffic, until you realize about the only person who would buy a dark blue Monte Carlo would be a government agency. :)

I've been told they have also used a number of confiscated cars around here to combat street racing. A cop in an unmarked will pull up next to you, when you take off he radios ahead to one waiting in a marked car with a handheld. Sneaky.

CDCGraphic

Established Member
It's legal in Massachusetts.

When you drive on the Mass Turnpike, every now and then there are big signs that say "Highway Patrolled by Unmarked State Police Vehicles"... they have lots of antennas and for the most part they use crown vics... I know in MA, the state police have just as many marked as unmarkeds...

Badasp5.0

Established Member
There Legal here too, I have seen a # of LT-1 and LS-1 Camaros and Impalas running around..........Its Very hard to spot them........ The unmarked Crown vics are pretty easy to spot.......

TCRIMSONK

Established Member
You think that unmarked Crown Vics and Impallas are hard to spot? Here in Maryland (where even the marked state troopers are painted black so you can't see them at night) I saw an early 90s pontiac grand am pull someone over, and then, later that month, someone had been pulled over by a MINIVAN!

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I have actually heard of some police departments moving to minivans'....Here in IL it is legal....our department has 4 unmarked Impala's, 2 Unmarked Taurus' and a unmarked explorer....

There are many Camaros and Mustangs riding around the highway's, mostly Hiway Patrol, but you can't even tell its a squad until its behind you with its lights on.....

PrinzII

Established Member
Originally posted by WyteLytning
<~~~~ cop here, and it is legal in North Carolina. It is called inconspicuous patrol, as compared to conspicuous patrol for a marked vehicle.

<< related to cops in IL and AL. On the IL side of the fence, it is legal for them to have unmarked cars. In fact the state police run around with an assortment of vehicles ranging from a Caravan to a LS1 Z28.

These vehicles have standard plates on them and you cannot tell they are cops unless you pay attention to the fully uniformed driver or know what to look for on the license plates.

I am also aware that IL will switch the plates and/or the vehicles around to further confuse motorists.

Last edited:

PrinzII

Established Member
Originally posted by CDCGraphic
It's legal in Massachusetts.

When you drive on the Mass Turnpike, every now and then there are big signs that say "Highway Patrolled by Unmarked State Police Vehicles"... they have lots of antennas and for the most part they use crown vics... I know in MA, the state police have just as many marked as unmarkeds...

Still got that Mark VIII up there?

PrinzII

Established Member
Originally posted by TCRIMSONK
You think that unmarked Crown Vics and Impallas are hard to spot? Here in Maryland (where even the marked state troopers are painted black so you can't see them at night) I saw an early 90s pontiac grand am pull someone over, and then, later that month, someone had been pulled over by a MINIVAN!

Indiana State Troopers are also black. But they also have Z28s and Firebirds in the fleet.

CDCGraphic

Established Member
Not sure if they still have the Mark VIII... I remember reading that a few were up here a while ago... I know their marked units are crown vics, and their unmarkeds can be just about anything... although I've heard a rumor that the new MSP cruisers may be Dodge Intrepids... that may be interesting. :)

Zig'sbird

Established Member
Originally posted by PrinzII
Indiana State Troopers are also black. But they also have Z28s and Firebirds in the fleet.

In addition, the State Troopers also have a few trucks painted yellow so they will look like state highway trucks for patrolling in construction zones.

And I saw someone mention it in passing but here in IN, if the officer is in an unmarked car, they have to be in uniform.

SHO91MTX

Who puts N2O on a 4 door?
Established Member
Originally posted by CDCGraphic
Not sure if they still have the Mark VIII... I remember reading that a few were up here a while ago... I know their marked units are crown vics, and their unmarkeds can be just about anything... although I've heard a rumor that the new MSP cruisers may be Dodge Intrepids... that may be interesting. :)

They just put a large order in for the new generation of Impalas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread