Unmarked police cars legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackfang

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackvert
Virginia has 'em. The new ones are Monte Carlo's. No markings on them. Standard license plates. About 50% have the A-piller light, the rest don't. The use flashing lights behind the grill, behind the rear view, and an extremely low profile (LED perhaps?) rear "bar" in the bottom of the rear window. Generally they only have a single, small antenna out back. Extremely hard to spot in traffic, until you realize about the only person who would buy a dark blue Monte Carlo would be a government agency. :)

I've been told they have also used a number of confiscated cars around here to combat street racing. A cop in an unmarked will pull up next to you, when you take off he radios ahead to one waiting in a marked car with a handheld. Sneaky.
No Virginia has the Ford Crown Vic, Camaro w/LS1 engines(slick tops) and the Impalla. We use unmarked, fully marked, and slick top Crown Vics, and Impallas. Yes some municipalities use Camaro Z28's, and SS's and some vettes to combat street racing.

TSparky21

Established Member
It's not fair to have unmarked cars with no lights on the top... I am deaf myself and I depends on the lights more.... If they were in hurry for somethin' and I won't notices really fast enough to pull over unless if there's a lot of cars around... One time, my friend ran into red traffic light and umarked cop caught him but he didn't notices til 1 or 2 mins later which the cop did call for speed chase! But found out he was deaf! Did you know top lights were invested by idea from a deaf man long time ago!!! I know you'll say their headlights go wild but when they are right close to you and you won't really notices if you wasn't payin attention! Oh well! Just wanted to let ya know about it!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
They also have dash lights that are red and blue, as well as grill lights and often mirrors with flashing lights on the back of them.

They are equally as visible, just not on the top. And at night there is no excuse, they are totally visible.

0260B4U

Established Member
Yea, I got pulled over by a green ford taurus here. The only light I saw, during the daytime... was on the passenger "vanity mirror". He flipped it down and I saw it blinking. I was at a stoplight, and it was red, he just got out and tapped on my 1/4 panel and he wasnt even in uniform.

I found out he was the police chief. :(

Their cars are totally different, they are not designed for traffic stops. Slick tops made for regular patrol work light up just as bright as cars with the lights on the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by 03blackvert
Virginia has 'em. The new ones are Monte Carlo's. No markings on them. Standard license plates. About 50% have the A-piller light, the rest don't. The use flashing lights behind the grill, behind the rear view, and an extremely low profile (LED perhaps?) rear "bar" in the bottom of the rear window. Generally they only have a single, small antenna out back. Extremely hard to spot in traffic, until you realize about the only person who would buy a dark blue Monte Carlo would be a government agency. :)

I've been told they have also used a number of confiscated cars around here to combat street racing. A cop in an unmarked will pull up next to you, when you take off he radios ahead to one waiting in a marked car with a handheld. Sneaky.

Sneaky yes.
Entrapment, possibly.

taronis

Banned
That would depend on apparent intent when the officer in the unmarked pulls along side of you. It could be construed as a challenge. Hmmm?
The intent may be laudable, but with some of these attorneys (read rat-bag licensed thieves) round here, it could be a troublesome and questionable practice. But that’s round here – the northeast – land of the uberliberal.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You are right about the uberliberal. But, I would suggest that the line starts right above connecticut. Lots of them in NH, VT, ME, RI and of course MASS.

Have a happy Turkey Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread