Upgrading Both Door Speakers Shaker Pro System

absolut123

Established Member
Does the non shaker pro cars still have the same wiring in the trunk as the shakerpro?

Where is the amp for the the shaker pro cars? I wondered if u could jump off those wires with an aftermarket amp

jtfx6552

Established Member
Does the non shaker pro cars still have the same wiring in the trunk as the shakerpro?

Where is the amp for the the shaker pro cars? I wondered if u could jump off those wires with an aftermarket amp

That has been answered here in a few threads that they don't. I REALLY hope that's incorrect, lol. I'm probably gonna dig around back there and see what I can find...

absolut123

Established Member
That has been answered here in a few threads that they don't. I REALLY hope that's incorrect, lol. I'm probably gonna dig around back there and see what I can find...

Have not seen that directly answered. I figured at some point there would be a plug. Would not make since to make completely different wiring thru the car

lnmnmarty

Established Member
Well I guess I'll make this my first post. I bought a '14 DIB vert in Jan. It has the shaker pro. Like everyone else I was disappointed with the sound. I searched and found a lot of good info on this forum and a few others. Google is your friend. Here's what I did.

Replaced the door subs with JL Audio ZR800-CW. Very minor modding to get in stock location using factory rings. The stock speakers are dual voice coil, these are not. I took the the two positive wires and hooked them to the + and the two negatives to the - terminal. It sounds awesome.

Replaced the upper door speakers with JL ZR525-csi. You need to purchase the factory speaker adaptors from earlier model mustangs. 2012 and older I believe. Can't remember for sure. Bought from Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. About $11 each. Will need a right and a left (different part #'s). They will need to be modified some for the components. If you go 5x8 coax they should bolt right in. Crutchfield makes an adaptor so you don't have to even cut you speaker wires.

Replaced the rears with JL C5 570-X. Since I have a vert the rears were very easy to replace. No adaptors needed except the wire harness from Crutchfield.

I left the trunk sub alone for now. The factory wire harness for the sub uses a very small power wire that probably wouldn't work for any aftermarket sub. You would have to run a new, larger one to the trunk IMO. The driver inside the sub enclosure looks to be of pretty good quality. I think an amp replacement for the sub would probably suffice.

Overall the sound is so much better. I still think some new amps to power the new speakers would put this system over the top. 90% of the time it is fine. When I really want to rock out I have to turn the volume way up and the factory amps aren't up to it. I will replace them someday, but that goes into a whole new zone that I am not quite ready to do on a 3 month old car.

The speakers are not cheap but they sound awesome. The door subs are really a mid-bass speaker and they still blow your pants legs around like the stock ones did, but not distorted. I think I would go with the 5x8 coax's in the door next time for an easier install over the components I used. Replacing the rears is probably overkill. They are just filler for the fronts if that makes sense. Anyway, kinda long winded but I thought I would share my experience.

Marty

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Well I guess I'll make this my first post. I bought a '14 DIB vert in Jan. It has the shaker pro. Like everyone else I was disappointed with the sound. I searched and found a lot of good info on this forum and a few others. Google is your friend. Here's what I did.

Replaced the door subs with JL Audio ZR800-CW. Very minor modding to get in stock location using factory rings. The stock speakers are dual voice coil, these are not. I took the the two positive wires and hooked them to the + and the two negatives to the - terminal. It sounds awesome.

Replaced the upper door speakers with JL ZR525-csi. You need to purchase the factory speaker adaptors from earlier model mustangs. 2012 and older I believe. Can't remember for sure. Bought from Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. About $11 each. Will need a right and a left (different part #'s). They will need to be modified some for the components. If you go 5x8 coax they should bolt right in. Crutchfield makes an adaptor so you don't have to even cut you speaker wires.

Replaced the rears with JL C5 570-X. Since I have a vert the rears were very easy to replace. No adaptors needed except the wire harness from Crutchfield.

I left the trunk sub alone for now. The factory wire harness for the sub uses a very small power wire that probably wouldn't work for any aftermarket sub. You would have to run a new, larger one to the trunk IMO. The driver inside the sub enclosure looks to be of pretty good quality. I think an amp replacement for the sub would probably suffice.

Overall the sound is so much better. I still think some new amps to power the new speakers would put this system over the top. 90% of the time it is fine. When I really want to rock out I have to turn the volume way up and the factory amps aren't up to it. I will replace them someday, but that goes into a whole new zone that I am not quite ready to do on a 3 month old car.

The speakers are not cheap but they sound awesome. The door subs are really a mid-bass speaker and they still blow your pants legs around like the stock ones did, but not distorted. I think I would go with the 5x8 coax's in the door next time for an easier install over the components I used. Replacing the rears is probably overkill. They are just filler for the fronts if that makes sense. Anyway, kinda long winded but I thought I would share my experience.

Marty

Great first post, Marty! Thanks for sharing lots of good info. (Tried to drop you a PM, but you don't appear to accept them. Please drop me one with your contact info, if you're willing to correspond with a fellow Colorado Shelby enthusiast.)

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

My sub plugs into the main harness just in front of the passenger taillight. Dig around for the wiring harness in that area. If there is a plug that isn't used, that would be it.

My understanding is the sub amp is located on the back side of the sub enclosure and bracket.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Are the spacers necessary on the rear deck 6x8's?

I haven't seen them mentioned. Pop your trunk and stick your head in there and look around. They appear to drop in from the top side which means removing a lot of interior trim parts, but otherwise easily accomplished.

Tom

absolut123

Established Member
My sub plugs into the main harness just in front of the passenger taillight. Dig around for the wiring harness in that area. If there is a plug that isn't used, that would be it.

My understanding is the sub amp is located on the back side of the sub enclosure and bracket.

Tom

Thanks Tom that's what I was wondering. I will look for it. Is that the only plug going to it? I am curious if it's power and/or sound. I wish I could find a pic if it.

lnmnmarty

Established Member
This is what I get when I try.:shrug:

lnmnmarty, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
You should be able to PM me here.

Users who are viewing this thread