Washed engine bay, problems.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
My friend has a stock '99 L. He washed his engine bay over the weekend, sprayed Simple Green on it and just rinsed off with a hose and he now has problems. When he starts it up, it idles really rough, and low, it feels like the blower isn't even working and the truck has no torque. I said it could be a possible vacuum leak since it's happened to me in my old car. I've washed my engine bay with the same stuff on my Marauder and I've had no issues what so ever. He dropped it off at a dealer unfortunately :nonono: and they told him it could be a possible ignition or fuel problem? How the f*ck could just rinsing off the engine bay result with something like that? What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated as he doesn't want them to fix it, he just wanted a diagnostic run to see if something would pop up. Thanks.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Well, because the spark plug tubes in the cylinder heads can fill up with water and cause the coil to arch to the cylinder head which in return causes a missfire condition.

Tavenner13

Sell me your L
Established Member
You're always supposed to cover any electrical devices under the hood with ziploc bags and a rubber band when you clean the engine bay. And NEVER shoot a pressurized stream directly on your alternator or coil packs. I'm guessing he didn't cover anything?

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Yea I forgot to mention coil packs too, as I had told him that afterwards that it could be the problem. And I told him to cover electricals, I'm guessing he didn't. The reason I was asking is because the dealer called back and told him if they wanted him to keep it over night, AGAIN. I said F that and I'll ask you guys. Do you recommend taking it back and buying new coil packs elsewhere (Rock Auto, Auto Zone etc.) or let them fix it. His truck has no warranty.

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
Tell him to park the truck in the sun with the hood up. Take a leaf blower and blow everything out REALLY well especially down around the coil packs. Let it sit for a bit so the water will accumulate again and then blow it out again. Then make sure everything is connected like its supposed to be (double check) and then see what happens.

Last edited:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I'd pull all the coil packs off, let them dry off good in the sun. Looks down if possible to see if water got down around the plugs.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Like Clint said, he needs to blow dry the engine.

I'm usually really careful whenever I wash the engine bay, but sometimes my truck has the same problem.

Once I blow dry the engine it's all gravy again.

Stewart

FordFanStan

Established Member
Alot of times even if it is completely dried of, the water that got in and around the coils let them arch and sometimes lets the coils fail. I have had to replace coils on different trucks due to this. Stan

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Thanks guys, he let them keep it AGAIN tonight, his bill should be pretty hefty even though they haven't even touched it really. Worst case I can get new coil packs for $55 brand new from Ford if his are no good. He wants to order them for peace of mind though. What would you guys recommend for cheap spark plugs/connectors if he just wants to do it all at once?

Bigredmk86

2002 Lightning
Established Member
don't go cheap! get a good set of plugs, and gap them accordingly. Most people on here will tell you to stick with the oem coil packs, and I will agree. They have been argued many times over for being the best. Should have just pulled your coilovers and blow dried the engine bay and let it sit in the sun for a few hours.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Everything is stock to his knowledge and mine. He has some NGK plugs to go in, but hasn't done them yet. What about coil connectors? Stock boost too.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Everything is stock to his knowledge and mine. He has some NGK plugs to go in, but hasn't done them yet. What about coil connectors? Stock boost too.

What do you mean by "coil connectors"? Do you mean the coil boots themselves or the coil electrical connector?

If it's the boots I'd get some and have them ready if you need them. Replacing them isn't a bad idea anyway. The rubber can wear and with temp change the seal can be compromised which is one reason why water can get in. If you don't need them, take them back.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
I meant the connector itself. Anyway, the dealer fixed it on him without consulting him first, a new coil pack later, few fuses fixed, and a nice bill of $400. They charged him $110 for a coil pack, and I could have got them for $60. Unebelievable.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Threads like these back up my thoughts on never washing the engine bay. I keep mine clean as I can with wiping it down from time to time. Never will I douse the motor with a hose.

Users who are viewing this thread