weird problem with clutch/clutch cable/tob?

neckdemon

Established Member
ok so when the car is just sitting and not running the pedal feels fine. but when i'm driving the car i get this intermittent feeling in the pedal like it is ribbed (bad explanation maybe). like when i'm pushing and letting off the clutch pedal it feels like it's riding over a ribbed surface, like kinda rough. but some of the time it's smooth. the clutch engaages and disengages relatively normal save for alot of tob noise and a some chatter taking off in first gear )about 50% of the time i guess). the transmisison also seems "extra" clunky, but that could just be because i'm paying so much attention to it right now. so, any ides what the problem might be? also i've been feeling a littel vibration in the clutch pedal when it is fully released and i rest my foot on it like if i am getting ready to push it.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Is this on the stock clutch?

When the tob goes, you will feel accentuated vibrations/sounds in it.

If the TOB sleeve is cracked, you'll get some of the symptoms you decsribe.

The chatter will make the tranny seem clunky, as will a clutch that isn't fully disengaging.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sounds like the cable is not aligned properly with the firewall adjuster and it is rubbing on the inner wall of it. The cable should run through the firewall adjuster without touching anything until it gets to the crimper piece that holds the cable in place. You may need to adjust the spacing on the quadrant.

-Jeff

neckdemon

Established Member
yeah it's the stock clutch. i'll have to check on that clutch cable alignment. i'm leaning towards getting an aftermarket bearing retainer and a new clutch/tob and just pulling the tranny and replacing the parts. any other opinions? thnx.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I have the same thing but I have the DFX, Fidanza steel FW, Steeda quadrant and adj.
I had the TOB replaced along with the TOB retainer about 2k miles ago. This just started recently. My bad TOB retainer caused a really bad pedal vibe when it finally went out. Like a machine gun and the pedal moved up and down. When it started to go bad it was getting more and more difficult to shift. It's all good now.

I have to wiggle the clutch cable and spin the adjuster if I want to mess with it.
I didn't install it so I am not sure what the alignment thing is.

Hissman, can you elaborate on your advice and maybe give some quick steps on what/where to look as well as how to fix it really quick. Thanks :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I thought maybe you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. If you don't then my thought will be wrong.

-Jeff

rmgtc01

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I thought maybe you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. If you don't then my thought will be wrong.

-Jeff

I do....what's the advice?

SpectorV

Established Member
I had this issues on my 01 v6 and it NEVER went away. I would make sure everything was in line from the quadrent down to the fork arm and also make sure the form arm is in correctly. If this doesnt get it you may have to drop the tranny and inspect the bearing retainer and heck replace the throwout as well while you are in there and clutch to.

neckdemon

Established Member
SpectorV said:
I had this issues on my 01 v6 and it NEVER went away. I would make sure everything was in line from the quadrent down to the fork arm and also make sure the form arm is in correctly. If this doesnt get it you may have to drop the tranny and inspect the bearing retainer and heck replace the throwout as well while you are in there and clutch to.

yeah i think i've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that i will have to pull the tranny relatively soon. and as you say, while i'm in there i figure i might as well upgrade the clutch, rpelace the TOB, and get a stronger bearing retainer on there. heck i might even swap out the flywheel unless it looks extraordinarily good.

rmgtc01

Established Member
If you have a stock bearing retainer it is the old version (4 welds). Ford made a new one with 8 Welds. Supposed to be stronger. Also Lamotta Perf. in Longwood said they made something aftermarket as well.
It is a TSB, so look it up. If you are still under factory warranty you can get everything installed (clutch, TOB, retainer, flywheel) for free!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
rmgtc01 said:
I do....what's the advice?

There should have been a couple of different spacers for the quadrant, and when you have it properly aligned with the correct spacer or spacers the cable should not touch the firewall adjuster on the interior side. If it does it will feel like the cable is dragging on something.

-Jeff

rmgtc01

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
There should have been a couple of different spacers for the quadrant, and when you have it properly aligned with the correct spacer or spacers the cable should not touch the firewall adjuster on the interior side. If it does it will feel like the cable is dragging on something.

-Jeff

I got under the dash and looked. It doesn't look like it is touching and it is hooked on the first hook of two. I was jiggling it a little and now it feels better. I may jump under there more tomorrow to see closer. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread