Weird squeak when pressing the clutch pedal

Bite Me

Established Member
This has puzzled me for a while now. It doesnt happen all the time. It can not do this for 2 weeks, and then all the sudden it happens and its like this for 2 weeks.

When I press the clutch in once I get to about 3/4's of the travel of the pedal it makes the squeaking sound like metal on metal rubbing.......kinda like a sqeaky door I guess you could call it. Its louder outside of the car than inside.

Anyone have any ideas?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
If it's a squeak that happens while depressing the pedal and goes away immediately, and if you have a firewall clutch adjuster, check to make sure that the screws holding it to the firewall are secure. Normally if it moves when you depress the pedal, you'll have a firewall squeak.

Now, if it's at a certain location of the depressed pedal and the squeak is a chirping constant noise, then it is your throw out bearing (TOB)

:D

Bite Me

Established Member
This happens car started or not started, in gear or neutral, cold, hot, whatever. I do have a firewall adjuster so good point. I will check there. Just so happens its fine today so I cant diagnose it. Thanks "macgyver".

I thought TOB at first also, but its not constant like I would expect.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
I think I had the same thing happen once, it came and went as it pleased. It seemed to be less or gone if I pushed my weight towards the right side of the pedal, as if I was putting a strain on the clutch lever.
IDK it seems to have gone away for now.

Bite Me

Established Member
Well I checked this out last night, definitely not the FWA. Its coming from the tranny for sure. Its definitely not inside the car because its MUCH louder outside of the car.

WTF could it be?!?!

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I am actually having the same thing happen only when press the clutch but when driving nothing and after I drive for a little while no noise either....

Bite Me

Established Member
I am wondering if it has something to do with the arm the clutch cable hooks to, dont know the term for that piece. Maybe just has a bit of rust on it, or since I put my FWA on its now moving more than it used to causing it to squeak at the end of its travel?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Three things move on the clutch release fork. The cable end rocks slightly in the end (not likely the source but easy enough to lube), the TOB has two contact points that need grease, and the pivot ball. I think you can dab some grease on the TOB pressure points through the access panel. Getting to the pivot balll would be very tricky. Just don't pull on the clutch release fork or else you can pull it off the pivot ball. If you do, you have to reseat the fork onto the ball (from the side) before pushing the clutch in again. Don't ask me how I know. I've also heard some squeaky/creaky pressure plates before. Do you have an automotive stethescope? Use ramps and/or jackstands to get some room and have someone press the clutch pedal while you're down there w/a stethescope (engine off, obviously). I got my stethescope @ Harbor Freight for like $5.

SCREAMINSVT

Established Member
Three things move on the clutch release fork. The cable end rocks slightly in the end (not likely the source but easy enough to lube), the TOB has two contact points that need grease, and the pivot ball. I think you can dab some grease on the TOB pressure points through the access panel. Getting to the pivot balll would be very tricky. Just don't pull on the clutch release fork or else you can pull it off the pivot ball. If you do, you have to reseat the fork onto the ball (from the side) before pushing the clutch in again. Don't ask me how I know. I've also heard some squeaky/creaky pressure plates before. Do you have an automotive stethescope? Use ramps and/or jackstands to get some room and have someone press the clutch pedal while you're down there w/a stethescope (engine off, obviously). I got my stethescope @ Harbor Freight for like $5.

i agree i would get someone to press the clutch while you are under to check it out

Bite Me

Established Member
I will have to take it over to my friends shop and put it on the lift. Its not like its a big deal, but I dont like leaving things as is without knowing what it is.

Thanks for the advice.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I have the same thing in my car...although it only does it when it's wet outside (humid/raining/etc.) :shrug:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Hell mine 01 cobra and my buddies 03 cobra does it!?!?! Iono what it is I just tell people that means it's in race mode!!!! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread