Wetsanding Scratches and Paint

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Im wetsanding my taillights and am wondering, how do I know when I broke through the clear coat? I feel like a :loser: and I thought I knew but...yeah. Any help? I have some duplicolor clear coat I was gonna spray on after I sanded it down enough. Yall think maybe I should just get the duplicolor touch up shit and just start from scratch? Help!:shrug:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I take it you were working on your tailight bezels that were body color on a '95?

You'll know when you break through the clear because there will be basecoat color coming off as you sand.

Wetsanding on that shouldn't take more than 2000-3000 grit paper and relatively light pressure. If you were trying to get good color back on the bezel I'd say a good compound would have done the job just as well.

Pictures always help others analyze the situation as well.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
mblgjr said:
I take it you were working on your tailight bezels that were body color on a '95?

You'll know when you break through the clear because there will be basecoat color coming off as you sand.

Wetsanding on that shouldn't take more than 2000-3000 grit paper and relatively light pressure. If you were trying to get good color back on the bezel I'd say a good compound would have done the job just as well.

Pictures always help others analyze the situation as well.

Whenever I take pictures I borrow my parents camara and they are in Guatemala. Thanks for the tips. What would you recommend for a bumper? Grit wise. Same.

And yes, the body color things (bezels?) on the 95.

gsxrbb

Banned
As he all ready stated, you may wanna try a good cutting pad/compound before going to wet sanding. You can always kick it up a notch if needed, but you can never go back....

Users who are viewing this thread