What is a 200 cobra R crate motor worth

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Lets say I have a 2000 cobra R crate motor Intake to oil pan never been ran been sitting under a cover since 2000. What would it bring in todays market?

photo12.jpg

Here is the only recent comparision that I know of, and it has 12,000 miles, and it has some accessories also which could be considered rare. But, it isn't bringing $17K so far............But like I said, 12K miles?

2000 COBRA R FACTORY SVT FORD OEM ENGINE 5.4 DOHC - eBay (item 320631813161 end time Jan-15-11 04:25:49 PST)

How has this 00R engine been stored? Climate/humidity controlled environment?

R

fobra00

Established Member
Here is the only recent comparision that I know of, and it has 12,000 miles, and it has some accessories also which could be considered rare. But, it isn't bringing $17K so far............But like I said, 12K miles?

2000 COBRA R FACTORY SVT FORD OEM ENGINE 5.4 DOHC - eBay (item 320631813161 end time Jan-15-11 04:25:49 PST)

How has this 00R engine been stored? Climate/humidity controlled environment?

R

climate controled warehouse This one has zero miles. I would take less then 17k

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
For $7000 grand you can get the new 5.0 4valve with computer tuner with 450hp.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I wonder how long a never fired mod motor can sit before it needs to be disassembled, and cleaned, and reassembled before firing up? I can't imagine assembly lube would last 10+ years sitting without getting nasty. Not that a reasonably priced, virgin, 00R motor wouldn't be worth the effort.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I'd guess it would last virtually forever given proper storage. There's also ways of preoiling the engine to get fresh oil through the entire system before startup.

Might not be the worst idea to tear it down but I'd bet you wouldn't need to. The big concern would be dry or hard seals that may leak once you start heat cycling the engine.

It really belongs with a Cobra R owner.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok. Point being ? That's not a rare 5.4 4v that only came in 250 cobra r's. Is it? Sit back and let the grown up's talk

There were actually 300 cars built. I have no idea how many motors were built, maybe a Ford insider could tell us here?!! ;-):poke:

BTW, there were 250 1995 R's built.

That motor has to be in the $10-15k range. It all depends on how bad someone wants it.

If you're trying to sell it, good luck with the sale.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
It would be a fun motor to put in a build--maybe an early Mustang or street rod. I didn't realize Ford built extra crate motors for these cars.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That motor has to be in the $10-15k range. It all depends on how bad someone wants it.

If you're trying to sell it, good luck with the sale.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Bruce - Those are my thoughts also, the first figure that popped in my head when I saw this post was $12K. As you mentioned, it depends upon who needs/wants it.

With the current collector car market being in a depressed $$$ state, and complete 2000 Cobra R's selling low, it is a buyers market for the cars and parts.

I must admit, I don't remember anyone coming on this forum in the past and offering a 2000 Cobra R crate motor for sale, if someone did, I missed it.

R

Last edited:

TFStang

Established Member
Ok. Point being ? That's not a rare 5.4 4v that only came in 250 cobra r's. Is it? Sit back and let the grown up's talk

Are you sure you know what you are selling? As stated above, there were 300 2000 Cobra R's made. Also, why are you getting so revved up? When you post, you should be prepared for comments, both good and bad. As far as the value of your motor is concerned, I would say $10K would probably get it sold for you.

I would be interested to find out if they actually made crate motors for the 2000 R's as well, as my understanding is that the majority of the parts were produced for the 300 built and that's it. I know you could buy some of the stuff, but there were a lot of exotic (hard to get) parts on these cars.

Andy M

Established Member
Wow! I did not know Ford had made extra engines when the 300 were assembled? If it truly is the real deal, it would be a great thing to have for a current owner, in case you wreck your R or blow up an engine.

Good luck with the sale. These are really great engines!:banana:

flattrack53

Established Member
I do know what I'm selling. Not getting revved up as you say. I'm on atleast 5-6 website i sell 3-4k dollars worth of Mod motor parts are month been doing it for years. $10k wont buy More Like $14k and thats dirt cheap.

Congratulations!! You should use the money you make to go back to school and get an take some ENGLISH classes. WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Grown ups, who wants to pay $17k for a 5.4 N/A with a forged crank and rods. Totally understand if your restoring a cobra R. There is always a grown who has more money then brains. THe car show guy is going to buy a real cobra R motor for what to drive in and out of the enclosed trailer and write it on the car show window. He could put a navi motor and nobody would be the wiser. If it is some hotrodder, why would he want some 350hp motor for $15k when he could spend half that for $7500.

From 1994 to 2002 I collected Cobra R parts. I would go to dealerships and buy all the cobra R part numbers. It has value to someone, you just got to find the guy who sees the value. I traded 75 percent of my collection for the fox in my sig and it was a 30k mile roller missing a transmission and lived its whole life in a heated and cooled warehouse. The guy I traded with has every style of foxbody make from 1979-1993 all the models. Stock 93 R and Race 93 R. He has a 5k mile teal with black interior sitting with intake off from 1995 when he procrastinated installing nitrous. I have so much R stuff that I keep finding stuff I forgot I had.

Again you got to find someone who sees the value. It could be $7k Cobra R motor or a $20k cobra R motor. I can sell a Cobra R oil cooler at a swap for $40 and sometimes on ebay for $100.

If someone was building a Street Rod or a Factory FIve cobra it would be cool. You might try hitting the resto-mod forums like G rides etc. There is probably some guy with a 69 mustang looking for unique engine.

I will let you grown ups get back to your disscussion, PS your a tool.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am thinking along the same lines.

I think there are two likely buyers to get serious money on this.

First, someone that has a 00R that needs a motor. Not very likely, but I am sure there are some out there. An examply would be the wrecked chassis that was on here a few months back.

Second, a buyer that is looking for a unique look in his street rod or older Mustang.

I don't see the current crowd paying a high dollar for this motor when there are other modular choices out there for the current crowd.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread