what kind of oil?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What about Royal Purple? That's what I'm running. But this is my "keeper" Mustang that I have no intensions on getting rid of I want to make sure I can get as much longevity out of it possible. Is my current oil good enough or are you saying Amsoil is that much better I should switch? My engine is stock for now but I run her kinda hard sometimes.

I can honestly say today, now that Royal Purple has reformulated their product, that yes....Amsoil has a definite edge.

Read ALL of this thread, post #10 is golden.

LINK

20redfire03

Established Member
Would you still recommend Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 API SN for these engines?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Would you still recommend Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 API SN for these engines?

Of course I would, it's an awesome lubricant after the swap to GTL (Gas To Liquid) base oil. If you can find it at a local WalMart on clearance, or in the 5 quart jug for $28 bucks.

However, I would not pay the retail per quart price for Ultra ($9.xx). Instead, I'd opt to order Amsoil Signature Series direct from Amsoil using the links above. In my city, all of the local WalMart stores no longer have Ultra. You can only find it per quart at Pep Boys. It's too much money for me, considering Amsoil is two day shipping away.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Why the difference?

Dominator is a racing formulation that has enough TBN (detergent additives) for continued street use. It's high in ZDDP and the most aggressive anti-wear package that Amsoil offers for high HP engines that are well outside their intended design.

You can see from my list above, it's recommended for cars that are tuned to the edge and high in HP. The down side is more frequent oil changes, but in my opinion, it's more than worth it.

*more frequent when compared to other Amsoil formulations that only require once a year oil changes*

Just like troy said, I was told it is one of the best oils for alternate fuel vehicles. Im going to run it slightly longer then intended and see what the oil analysis says.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just like troy said, I was told it is one of the best oils for alternate fuel vehicles. Im going to run it slightly longer then intended and see what the oil analysis says.

I've seen great results using it. The last sample received was used for 3,500 miles (18K on engine). TBN is still strong in the 4.0 range. This oil was wasted when it was dumped at a 6 month interval. My recommendations are conservative on this lubricant, as I know it has more in it, but I like to keep things on the safe side. In my expert advice, all high HP Coyote builds should be using this lubricant. I have local Evos and LSx builds using it as well.

The formulation does not shear, wear metals are super low, and still had life left in it.

RD303500miles_zps9fd9c20d.jpg

Last edited:

20redfire03

Established Member
Of course I would, it's an awesome lubricant after the swap to GTL (Gas To Liquid) base oil. If you can find it at a local WalMart on clearance, or in the 5 quart jug for $28 bucks.

However, I would not pay the retail per quart price for Ultra ($9.xx). Instead, I'd opt to order Amsoil Signature Series direct from Amsoil using the links above. In my city, all of the local WalMart stores no longer have Ultra. You can only find it per quart at Pep Boys. It's too much money for me, considering Amsoil is two day shipping away.

Thanks for the info. As long as pricing hasn't changed since I last looked, few weeks ago, its still 27$ for a 5 quart jug and 7.8X for a single quart. And so far both wal marts that I am near carried it. So as long as its available I'll switch to it once the time comes.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I've seen great results using it. The last sample received was used for 3,500 miles (18K on engine). TBN is still strong in the 4.0 range. This oil was wasted when it was dumped at a 6 month interval. My recommendations are conservative on this lubricant, as I know it has more in it, but I like to keep things on the safe side. In my expert advice, all high HP Coyote builds should be using this lubricant. I have local Evos and LSx builds using it as well.

The formulation does not shear, wear metals are super low, and still had life left in it.

RD303500miles_zps9fd9c20d.jpg

Yea I have about 4 months and 2k miles on the 10w30 Dominator right now. My goal is to have 50+ passes on it at the track and go to 1 year or 5k miles.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
hope i havent messed up!i use castrol synth. blend and change at 5000 miles and it looks like i am the only 1 using that brand.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I use Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and am satisfied. IMO, I think the Ultra and AM SS are about the same quality.

GTL base oils are really showing positive results. Amsoil commented in the past they will consider GTL base oils IF and only IF it is a step forward for all of their formulations.

I can see this happening in the OE and XL formulations, but have my questions about Signature Series. Sure, GTL is rivaling NOACK Volatility of Signature, however there are others traits that must be considered from the change over.

To this date, I've yet to see any frictional coefficient comparisons between GTL and PAO/Ester base oils.

silver50

Established Member
I can honestly say today, now that Royal Purple has reformulated their product, that yes....Amsoil has a definite edge.

Read ALL of this thread, post #10 is golden.

LINK

I saw that they tested Castrol Edge with Titanium for this oil test. What are your thoughts on this oil? I've used it in multiple vehicles, and seems to give me the best performance, oil longevity, and least amount of oil in my catch can in both my vehicles compared to other synthetic oils I have tried.

13GT5.0

Established Member
GTL base oils are really showing positive results. Amsoil commented in the past they will consider GTL base oils IF and only IF it is a step forward for all of their formulations.

I can see this happening in the OE and XL formulations, but have my questions about Signature Series. Sure, GTL is rivaling NOACK Volatility of Signature, however there are others traits that must be considered from the change over.

To this date, I've yet to see any frictional coefficient comparisons between GTL and PAO/Ester base oils.

Walmart has stocked up for the winter where I live. It's still $28.00 for a 5 quart jug. That is a hell of a deal. Amsoil is just not worth the extra money imo, but it's damn fine oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I saw that they tested Castrol Edge with Titanium for this oil test. What are your thoughts on this oil? I've used it in multiple vehicles, and seems to give me the best performance, oil longevity, and least amount of oil in my catch can in both my vehicles compared to other synthetic oils I have tried.

I have no inside or testing knowledge on this formulation. Lower levels found in your catch can indicates it's a lower NOACK formulation.

Walmart has stocked up for the winter where I live. It's still $28.00 for a 5 quart jug. That is a hell of a deal. Amsoil is just not worth the extra money imo, but it's damn fine oil.

$28.00 per 5 quarts makes it a steal, and a great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread