What the hell caused my paint to do this...?

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Last night while washing my car I noticed two places on the truck lid had randomly bumbled up on me. I wash my car around once a week and have never before noticed these, so it makes me think it happened pretty quickly. What could have caused this, and how to I keep it from happening again!?

The real bitch part about it is, I just ordered $220 worth of detailing gear from Autogeek yesterday and am scared to use it! I was planning on starting from scratch on the whole car from Nanoskin to sealant, but i'm worried it will buff the bubbles right off and create bare spots.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of oil or solvent got on it and with the heat of the sun- bubbled it? I have no idea how something like that could have gotten on my trunk lid though.

I don't think the lid is metal, so could this be an issue with these cars that I've never heard about before?

20140717_113514_zps4032fe7b.jpg

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
yep, I agree looks chemical related to me. Since it is on the trunk we can rule out rust under the base. Looks like a refinish job in the future for you. Any punks in the neighborhood that may have poured something on it? Check over the car for other areas and if anymore spots pop up, I would consider filing a claim with your insurance carrier to get it fixed.

Prototype007

Established Member
If the bubbles feels like it's the clearcoat itself trying to blister then it could very well be chemical related. If it's under the clear then check the metal on the backside of it. Rust will cause blisters like that.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
If the bubbles feels like it's the clearcoat itself trying to blister then it could very well be chemical related. If it's under the clear then check the metal on the backside of it. Rust will cause blisters like that.

I was thinking rust as well.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I know S197 trunk lids are steel. Edit: pretty sure they all are. Spoilers are PP plastic

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they are steel and thats rust starting. It could have been contaminated from the factory. The easiest way to tell would be to take a razor and cut one of the bubbles open. It also may have been painted at one time and was contaminated that way. Sometimes there can be tiny holes left in the clear if there was some sort of issue on the metal, water drops under the sealer/base/clear.
We see stuff like this all the time at work but not usually on factory jobs. It happens though.

Drkshdwmach1

Established Member
its one of three things either 1 you spilled a chemical on the paint causing both the clear coat and the base coat to react into something that is called solvent pop which causes the paint to bubble up like that or your trunk lid is starting to rust underneath and reacting the basecoat under the clearcoat which is quite strange so i would check inside your trunk lid for any signs of rust and also keep that area waxed as often as possible so the sun doesnt cause it to get any worse.

Users who are viewing this thread