Wheel bearing

Dekorum

Established Member
Has anyone ever needed to replace a wheel bearing before? There is a constant loud whirring noise when driving my dads 98 Cobra. I am pretty sure its either the left or right rear wheel bearing. If we find out which one it is, is it better to replace both? I found out they are around 20 bucks each bearing, but does anyone know how much labor is involved in this?

zx3focus

Established Member
I am not sure about the fronts. The rears though, you have to pull the diff cover off, take the c clips off the axles and pull the axles out. Then pop the bearing out, and put the new ones in. You have to make a tool or buy one to press the bearings into the axle tubes. To get the bearings out I would just pull the diff and take a pipe or something and knock them out from the inside.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I am not sure about the fronts. The rears though, you have to pull the diff cover off, take the c clips off the axles and pull the axles out. Then pop the bearing out, and put the new ones in. You have to make a tool or buy one to press the bearings into the axle tubes. To get the bearings out I would just pull the diff and take a pipe or something and knock them out from the inside.

The outers are easy. Slide hammers are your friend.

tt54l32v

Established Member
a pretty good bit you have to pull the cover off the diff .get the c-clips out slide the axles out get the seal out and you usaully have to a slide hammer with a axle bearing adaptor to get the bearing out. how many miles on it if a bunch, may be time to build with all new bearings especially if it has been run a a long time low with old fluid

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
last time i replaced a bearing, 2 weeks later the other went bad. Once one gets bad enough, the other will likely go soon. You can change just one to save money, but don't be surprised if the other is on it's way soon too. :(

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
outer ones are easy. get or borrow a slide hammer. I used a large socket to put the new bearing in. just be easy and make sure it goes in straight.

Dekorum

Established Member
Everyone keeps mentioning "outer." Does that mean when I buy the $20 bearing from Ford there is an outer and inner?

Users who are viewing this thread