Where do you guys order/buy your blower belts?

raw23062

Established Member
Curious to find a good, reliable outlet to buy a good blower belt. I see from old threads that people have different favorite belts, but I've been to NAPA, Autozone, and Advance in my area and they all only offer generic serp belts with standard grip on them. All 3 said they couldn't even order a Gatorback type belt with a more aggressive pattern. I ordered a couple from Advance but they are Dayco's and from reading all the old threads on here I'm guessing I'm not going to like it, or atleast it's not going to be long before it slips or makes noise. So Gatorbacks seem to have a better review across the board(but Im open to other ideas) Where is the best place to order them? Looking for a place some of you have good experiences with. Thanks.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
+1 for amazon

I basically bought two (one gator and one gates) for the price of one somewhere else. Got to wait for shipping, but it's worth it to essentially get 2 for 1

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
napa has gates, have had one on my car 2yrs works just fine
(gates makes belts for napa, napa just slaps there name on it)

raw23062

Established Member
Ok, looking now.... stinks that I need a different size than what was on the car, so I can't just use the old part number. But I THINK the "772" part on the old Gatorback is a 77 inch and change belt?? That one was for my 3.5 pulley and now I have a 3.2. The belt the shop put on WITHOUT the extra idler was a 76 inch and it's too small. So Im guessing I need a 76.5 or a 77.0 belt? Anyone care to chime in if Im thinking correctly on size and part number to get correct size? Thanks!

raw23062

Established Member

So you like the Gates? That's what was on the car but it started making noise. I did get it to fit after I installed the idler pulley under the blower but didn't like how tight it was(not enough travel in tensioner) but it still made noise. Thought maybe it was the NAPA belt.

raw23062

Established Member
Starting to think maybe I have a tensioner/pulley noise or alt noise perhaps. Tuner said Gates as well.

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
Ok, looking now.... stinks that I need a different size than what was on the car, so I can't just use the old part number. But I THINK the "772" part on the old Gatorback is a 77 inch and change belt?? That one was for my 3.5 pulley and now I have a 3.2. The belt the shop put on WITHOUT the extra idler was a 76 inch and it's too small. So Im guessing I need a 76.5 or a 77.0 belt? Anyone care to chime in if Im thinking correctly on size and part number to get correct size? Thanks!

just ordered that belt myself. Goodyear Gatorback 4080772 it is a 77.25 inch belt. i was in a dilemma with my 3.5 upper pulley to get a belt that fit. Gates belt go from 76 1/2 and then jump to 77 3/4 nothing in between. i put a 77 3/4 on mine and it works but can hear a little belt screech when jumping on it sometimes . If you have a 4 idler setup with a Aux tensioner on a 3.25 upper. then the Gates 76.5 is your best choice really.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
I prefer gatorbacks, myself. They are a more flexible belt, and I have less squealing with them than any other brand.

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
So you like the Gates? That's what was on the car but it started making noise. I did get it to fit after I installed the idler pulley under the blower but didn't like how tight it was(not enough travel in tensioner) but it still made noise. Thought maybe it was the NAPA belt.

my old belt setup(gates belt/eaton) started bitching on startup until it got warm. sounded like a chirping sound. After 2 belt replacements that were good tight fitting ones i found out my tensioner was bad. If the belt slips at all it will glaze the backside of the belt and then it starts to make noise.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

nappa gates belt here...i dont have any slip.

NAPA here....

Starting to think maybe I have a tensioner/pulley noise or alt noise perhaps. Tuner said Gates as well.

NAPA or Carquest both have GATES belts.

www.napaonline.com will give you the actual length of the belt you are buying.

just ordered that belt myself. Goodyear Gatorback 4080772 it is a 77.25 inch belt. i was in a dilemma with my 3.5 upper pulley to get a belt that fit. Gates belt go from 76 1/2 and then jump to 77 3/4 nothing in between. i put a 77 3/4 on mine and it works but can hear a little belt screech when jumping on it sometimes . If you have a 4 idler setup with a Aux tensioner on a 3.25 upper. then the Gates 76.5 is your best choice really.

Napa Gates since 2006, no dust, no slip, no noise, if it ever does make noise, I'll get another one.

I like that they let me buy three belts and bring back the two that did not fit best.

Gates does not make all the belts for Motorcraft but they do make a lot of them.

raw23062

Established Member
The more digging I do and the more people I talk to, I'm really suspecting it's a tensioner issue. Since I do have the 3.25 upper and the aux tensioner, I think I'll get a Gates 76.5. Now with regard to the other tensioner, I've had a few people suggest the Reichard Racing manual belt tensioner, but dang that thing is pricey. Looks like the stock one is on it now. Any problem with just replacing it with a stock one?? Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread