Where has education gone?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, I'm not a Rhodes scholar, matter of fact I don't have a degree in anything. But for the love of God can someone please teach Journalism majors how to read and write the English language and proof read their work?
Reading news stories in the last few years has become a task. Spellcheck is not proper word check.
The suspect was hostel to the homeowners. What did he do, invite them over to sleep on a dirty bed?
The restraining order required the man to stay 500 feet from her resident. So he is supposed to know who lives with her?
And my favorite....The woman was charged with issuing and underling.

Now I know why kids want their college loans payed off, they were gypped.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL. Yeah, times have definitely changed. I worked for about 20 years in the printing industry, from 1968 - 1987. During that time, we used proof-readers. There were people specifically trained to read copy before it was printed. Newspaper companies used them. Magazine publishers used them. Book publishers used them. They would not only check for misspelled words, but grammatical errors, punctuation errors, etc. Today, spell-check software and AI checks documents for errors (albeit hit and miss usually).

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Is that last sentence intentional?
I was wondering the same thing.

Grammar and punctuation are lost arts nowadays. I'd wager their demise has accelerated over the last two decades due to all the texting and other non-face-to-face socializing society now uses. Although my Boomer uncles really struggle with apostrophes and basic spelling so perhaps the roots go much further back. haha

I'm an oddball; I use punctuation and capitalization even in my text messages. That is to say, if this were a text message, I'd have typed it out the same way.

And even after I posted my reply, I read through it again to check for mistakes.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Proper English is racist, professors do not dock for that anymore mostly.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
The errors I see these days make me half cringe, half laugh. But very sad situation.

Now with that said, I used to have to review hand written reports. Talk about headache material.

Users who are viewing this thread