Where is your boost gauge at?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I have the 17psi 3.00" pulley on my 04. My boost gauge doesn't seem to go down as far as some videos I have seen with people claiming they're only making 17psi. How far does yours go down and how much psi are you running? Got pics?:burnout:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Yeah, I don't have any gauges and I want to keep it that way. I love the stock sleeper look. With my car still having the F1's people never think it has a Whipple on it.

Anybody else?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
014-1.gif

012-2.gif

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
That's nice too. The reason I asked is because even though it was COLDDD the day I drove my car, so I couldn't really WOT the car. I stepped on the gas lightly then held it to the floor breifly so it wouldn't break loose on the freeway.

I don't think the needle went to where 17psi "would be" on the overlay. It went to where the second hash mark is on your overlay. I talked to my tuner, who did everything to the car for the previous owner before I bought it. He brought up the old dyno sheet on his computer and showed me the HP/TQ numbers and it was 17psi. I guess every car is different...Maybe I should get a real gauge on the steering column.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
That's nice too. The reason I asked is because even though it was COLDDD the day I drove my car, so I couldn't really WOT the car. I stepped on the gas lightly then held it to the floor breifly so it wouldn't break loose on the freeway.

I don't think the needle went to where 17psi "would be" on the overlay. It went to where the second hash mark is on your overlay. I talked to my tuner, who did everything to the car for the previous owner before I bought it. He brought up the old dyno sheet on his computer and showed me the HP/TQ numbers and it was 17psi. I guess every car is different...Maybe I should get a real gauge on the steering column.

Does your car have the overlay, or have the tab on the needle trimmed? If the needle on the boost gauge hasn't been altered at all it won't go much past the stock 10psi.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
stock gauges here and running 14#'s and the needle hits about the second hash mark on the picture shown above...

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Does your car have the overlay, or have the tab on the needle trimmed? If the needle on the boost gauge hasn't been altered at all it won't go much past the stock 10psi.

I don't have the overlay. What tab on the needle? The needle itself, right? I see the tab at 0...but there isn't one on 10...even on your car.

I haven't even looked closely at it. I literally bought the car, drove it home...cleaned it, took it for one joy ride then covered it up.

WINTER SUCKS.:bash:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
If you pull the gauge cluster out and remove the needle there is a tab on the back of it that prevents it from going past about 10 psi. You need to cut if off in order for the gauge to sweep around to your 17psi.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
If you pull the gauge cluster out and remove the needle there is a tab on the back of it that prevents it from going past about 10 psi. You need to cut if off in order for the gauge to sweep around to your 17psi.

aaaaha! Thank you sir!!! So the stop tab is behind that black circle? That explains why it only went a little ways past 10, then stopped dead.

What is a safe way to pop that needle off? I saw on that website that guy used a door panel popper tool...and for the other speedo he used a fork...:D They must slightly lock to the pin coming out of the speedo? I just don't want to pry it off and break anything.

20psirabbit

Established Member
yup it's just pressed on. i put a piece of paper towel between the fork and the gauge face, then pried ever so lightly and it popped right off. you'll see the little tab on the bootom side that stop it from moving past 10 psi. cut it off flush, press it back on and you're good to go. might as well get an overlay while you're at it, it's cheap and nobody notices it :rockon:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Exactly...

Thanks for your help man!

yup it's just pressed on. i put a piece of paper towel between the fork and the gauge face, then pried ever so lightly and it popped right off. you'll see the little tab on the bootom side that stop it from moving past 10 psi. cut it off flush, press it back on and you're good to go. might as well get an overlay while you're at it, it's cheap and nobody notices it :rockon:

That sounds good. It does go past 10psi, but not equivalent to where 17psi would be. I'll have to look into that this spring. I'd love to get the overlay too. I think it is so sweet and it just sticks on so that is perfect.

Thanks everybody....if anyone else wants to post pics of the gauge in action or a video, or more info...feel free! :beer::rockon::burnout::dancenana:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Thanks for your help man!

That sounds good. It does go past 10psi, but not equivalent to where 17psi would be. I'll have to look into that this spring. I'd love to get the overlay too. I think it is so sweet and it just sticks on so that is perfect.

Thanks everybody....if anyone else wants to post pics of the gauge in action or a video, or more info...feel free! :beer::rockon::burnout::dancenana:

Ray Hilton also has a high boost overlay if you plan on throwing any more boost at that car.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I saw that. It looks badass. I think I'm gonna keep the 17psi right where it's at.

Is there anybody who has a nice oil seperator kit? I don't want to put a tacky Home Depot set up on there....I want something that is nice looking. And do I REALLY need it. Some people say yes, others say it's a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread