which 4lb to buy?

G'sLightning

Established Member
Uncaged .........Go with LFP pulley (same as metco). Mark will provide you with the tools and the proper belt also.:beer:

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
There is a debate about the set-up and designs on things. Some say caged is bad. Some say it is ok. Many people have had issues with removing the caged systems off their truck in the past. However that design was changed on the newer system. But many people were/are scared of it and have not returned since. I currently have the caged system and it has been on 3 motors now, with no issues.

If you do decide to go with a caged set-up I have a 4 # and 6 # pulleys to go with the JDM interchangeable caged set-up.

93calcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SM0KESH0W
There is a debate about the set-up and designs on things. Some say caged is bad. Some say it is ok. Many people have had issues with removing the caged systems off their truck in the past. However that design was changed on the newer system. But many people were/are scared of it and have not returned since. I currently have the caged system and it has been on 3 motors now, with no issues.

If you do decide to go with a caged set-up I have a 4 # and 6 # pulleys to go with the JDM interchangeable caged set-up.

so the jdm caged pulley is easy to install and remove if needed?

steve goddard

Established Member
Originally posted by SM0KESH0W

I've been running a JDM caged 4lber for over a year now. Was fairly easy to install and works well. JDM is expensive but you are assured it will work well.
Can't tell you how much better your L will run if you COMBINE other upgrades with the pulley to help it breath. ( ie: single blade throttle, cold air, headers, 3 " exhaust w/ crossover, chip, etc ).

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
I believe so. But like I said, there are others out there and alot cheaper. And most people buy the cheapest kit. Which for the price I can't really blame them. I am just saying I didn't mind paying a little bit more.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Prime example of what I was talking about. Also, I am no way shape or form a supporter of JDM. I think every vendor has specific parts that are better than others. Thus is why I have a mix match of various parts on my truck. To each his own.

G'sLightning

Established Member
I agree they are both fine. I have never heard of any issure with either. Both are easy to install, when you pull the original pulley of you'll get an idea why Ford put that cage around it.:)

G'sLightning

Established Member
Originally posted by Red03SVT
G'sLightning: I took mine off--but I'm not sure what you're talking about!

-Mike
I was refering to the weight of the pulley it is rather heavy to be sitting out that far off the crank without any support. I could see no other pupose for the "cage" other than to support the weight of the stock pulley.:beer:

Anthony@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
We offer both a Caged and non-cage pulley. We are the only company that offers a caged pulley, it is much like factory and designed to offer more crank support so it is better for the long run or for a higher hp application, plus the rings are interchangable. Feel free to call me 732 780 0770 with any questions or pm me/email me at : [email protected] for more info. :thumbsup:

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Just go to their web site and look at pics. It will explain itself. Or climb under your truck and look at the pulley to see what they mean by caged.

Anthony@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
If you look at the factory lower crank pulley on a Lightning it has a set up that looks like 3 feet that connect to the block. Therefore we designed one much similar with a hub and a spindle which allows you to interchange pulley sizes/ boost levels.

Users who are viewing this thread