Which Clutch?

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
My King Cobra Clutch on my 96 just completely fried on me the other night after about 6 track runs, and 8K miles. All the pads completely fell off of the PP side of the disc. I am going to get a Fidanza F/W, and was wondering what to get as a clutch/PP combo. I am happy with the Centerfoce on my 03, but not too sure about the 96. All 8 bolt, and 11". Definately not going with the KC again, what a pos. I have never had a car do that to me. I have the stock clutch back in it now, but I will be needing a new one really soon. Do fidanza's work better with any particular clutches? I don't want anything TOO expensive, as the car only has 310rwhp n/a, and rarely sees track time. Thanks guys, yall are always so helpful.:thumbsup:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Spec stage 1, 2 or 2+
I loved the 2+ but it ain't cheap.
I also liked my centerforce DF until it slung apart at the track one night.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
i LOVE my Spec stage 1, totally streetable, no chatter at all, nice firm pedal feel, with enough grab to blow the tires in second gear with a gradual slow clutch slip as I found out yesterday :)

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
I know the car is a 10.5 setup, but if I order 11" in both F/W and clutch, it would work wouldn't it? If so, what kind of car should I order it for? 99/01 4V? I would like to go 11", but I don't know if it is even possible. Yeah, I was told that the KC's were doing this for a while, but then FR changed the design of them. That is why some of them are silver, and some of them are blue. The silver ones are older stock I believe.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Well I ordered my Centerforce that was a 10.4" with a 10spine shaft opening. I really dont know the specs on a 4.6 though. I have heard people go with a 11" KC clutch on a 96-98.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Spec stage 1, 2 or 2+
I loved the 2+ but it ain't cheap.
I also liked my centerforce DF until it slung apart at the track one night.

Do you have any experience with the stage 3? Like it or not?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Centerforce FTW! You could get a Spec, but don't get a Stage 3 whatever you do. IMO Spec clutches are abusive and break transmissions, but don't take it from me. Everybody is gonna be biased because they all break sometimes, but I can say from a LOT of experience that I have seen more trannies broken because of Spec clutches than any other clutches. My buddy actually had 10 Mustangs in his shop with broken trannies a while back...8 of which had Spec clutches. I don't know how this whole "get the grabbiest clutch around" fad started, but most of us don't have race trannies that can handle the shock of a puck-style clutch. I'll take the clutch that has a little bit of give in it when dumped and has great high-RPM clamping-pressure versus the one that has no give when dumped and breaks shit.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Rippin, what about all the problems a while back with the weights ripping off the Centerforce pressure plates and/or the fingers randomly getting bent?

Think that was just a bad run of them? That was actually what scared me away from getting one earlier this year when I replaced my flywheel and clutch.

NVENOM8U

Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Centerforce FTW! You could get a Spec, but don't get a Stage 3 whatever you do. IMO Spec clutches are abusive and break transmissions, but don't take it from me. Everybody is gonna be biased because they all break sometimes, but I can say from a LOT of experience that I have seen more trannies broken because of Spec clutches than any other clutches. My buddy actually had 10 Mustangs in his shop with broken trannies a while back...8 of which had Spec clutches. I don't know how this whole "get the grabbiest clutch around" fad started, but most of us don't have race trannies that can handle the shock of a puck-style clutch. I'll take the clutch that has a little bit of give in it when dumped and has great high-RPM clamping-pressure versus the one that has no give when dumped and breaks shit.
I have a spec stg 3 in my 96 cobra (standard size and 6 puck) I went w/ stg 3 b/c im making a lot of tq. The stg 3 does grip quite hard and is hard to get used to but is a wonderful clutch in my opinion. Rippin is right, the clutch dosent like to slip and delivers quite a shock when it grips. But once used to it , it is ok.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Like I said, the Spec is a GREAT clutch if you have race-parts that can handle that extreme "shock", but for stock trannies, they are often deadly. Obviously, some won't break, but others will. I'd just avoid that completely personally. As far as the wieghts ripping of the Centerforce pressure-plates, I have to assume it was a bad run, but you never know. If there is one thing everybody should take to heart, it's that aftermarket moving parts can never be 100% perfect. There are goods/bads to all race parts. I love my CF clutch, other people love their Spec Stg 3. If my pressure-plate goes haywire, I'll fix it (relatively cheap), if that Spec decides it wants to break the tranny, it's going to. Anybody who builds trannies will tell you that typically you want that little "buffer" of slip in a clutch to save the rest of the driveline.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Stage 1 and 2 are not puck style and doesn't grab like 3.

Stage 2+ is also full faced and doesn't have the same friction material as 3 but the PP is almost as stout.

Go to http://www.specclutch.com/
then hit products to see the difference.

Look it up for your car to see how much TQ they each support.

Users who are viewing this thread