which supercharger to purchase?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
the reason why i ask is cause i hear certain kb have problems like the 2.4 i believe.just dont wanna buy something twice..looking to put down anywhere from 650 to 700 rwhp...

Are you looking at continuous output at that level or just during occasional race gas usage.

You might be a candidate for an E85 conversion, which I would like to add does allow for 93 and 94 octane pump gas usage, but may at that point need a boost drop, which is easy.

Flips between the two fuels are not hard, flash the tune and switch belt and pulley. Just make sure you are tuned for both going in.

A 2.3 Whipple would get the job done and will produce well over 700 on E85.
Over 700 on pump gas is going to be pretty sketchy no matter what crank driven blower you choose.

jamrok55

Established Member
i dont mind running race fuel for when i race the car so having 2 tunes wouldnt be an issue....now for the e85 is as easy as a tune or do i need to upgrade my fuel components which consist of 60# injectors twin focus pumps?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i dont mind running race fuel for when i race the car so having 2 tunes wouldnt be an issue....now for the e85 is as easy as a tune or do i need to upgrade my fuel components which consist of 60# injectors twin focus pumps?

That's the down side, you will need much more fuel volume for the same power goal on E85.

I think you would probably need 80s and a BAP added.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Your the only person I've seen on here to get away with a post that has been on here atleast once a day without ol Jimmy ripping your ass about it. Congratulations on that!

On a second note, depending on your cash, I would just do the 3.4 whipple. That thing is nasty, and if you don't make 700 on pump then it's not far away at all with some 109!

Marc

Established Member
What are the advantages of the Whipple 3.4 over the 2.8LC KB Mammoth?

Keep in mind I want to keep stock internals. I have everything else to make 700HP purchased already to include Lethal's 1000HP system, 80lb injectors, and the list goes on. The car will take a occassional trip to the track, but will be used for cruises, car shows, etc...so I don't want a all out race car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
For a 700 RWHP goal I am not understanding the significant increase in large blower usage.

My understanding is that they are in their peak efficiency range while over 20 PSI.

Over 20 PSI is nearly always race gas territory which makes street driving very expensive.

Larger blowers are always going to have higher rotating mass/crank losses.
They are also going to stress a stock crank snout more than a 2.3 or smaller blower.
Those losses are not washed away until fairly high race gas or E85 boost levels.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Can't really say because I haven't had both of the blowers. Although I believe the 3.4 is more efficient than the kb. I don't believe the liquid cooling system on the kb really helps do much more than sound good on the description. That's not my opinion, that's coming from a buddy that has one...

Marc

Established Member
For a 700 RWHP goal I am not understanding the significant increase in large blower usage.

My understanding is that they are in their peak efficiency range while over 20 PSI.

Over 20 PSI is nearly always race gas territory which makes street driving very expensive.

Larger blowers are always going to have higher rotating mass/crank losses.
They are also going to stress a stock crank snout more than a 2.3 or smaller blower.
Those losses are not washed away until fairly high race gas or E85 boost levels.

This is why I was going with the 2.8KB Mammoth vs. the 3.4 Whipple. I just think the Whipple will be way too much blower for my needs. The 2.8 KB Mammoth has put out 700HP on stock blocks. I bought the necessary aftermarkets parts (injectors/fuel system/etc.) to try and safely put this to the rear wheels on a stock block. From what I hear, the Mammoth puts down great numbers even at lower RPMS (vs most blowers). I know anymore HP and I am looking at blowing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread