Who wants to see fuel pumps tested in 1 place?

Black306

Established Member
In an effort to locate an inexpensive replacement for GT pumps, I recently put together a test rig in order to check the flow rates of a GT pump compared to a Walbro F10000137 pump. I talk about that in a little more detail here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ptions-what-you-need-know-2.html#post11659739

But I have been thinking recently. There is a lot of information/mis-information regarding fuel pumps on the web. Part of the problem is that pumps are tested under different conditions. I've seen tests done at 12v, 13v, 13.2v, and 13.5v. I've also seen tests done at free-flow rate (ie no pressure), 40psi, 60psi, etc. These differences have a pretty good effect on the output. In the link above, you'll see a GT pump can flow 225lph and up to 260lph with just 1.5v more.

The other problem is that people forward the information without the testing procedures. So one person could say a GT pump flows 260lph while another says it flows 225lph. They would be both right. But without the additional information, one might compare lph rates with a pump running 12v@40psi and another pump running 13.5v@free-flow.

What I propose is having popular fuel pumps tested on one rig and under similar conditions. The pumps I would suggest are:

• Stock 03/04 Cobra
  • Stock GT500
  • Ford GT
  • SVT Focus
  • Aviator
  • Walbro GSS342
  • Aeromotive Stealth 340
  • Walbro F90000262 (400lph)
  • F10000137

However, I would be open to others. I already have a Ford GT and a F10000137 pumps with a few data points already recorded. For test procedures, I would suggest running the tests at 12v and 13.5v, and running the pumps from 20psi to 80psi in 10psi increments. Since pumps typically run at a minimum of 30psi in a car, there really isn't much of a point testing them at or near a free flow rate. And 80psi would represent someone running a car with a base pressure of 50psi and 30psi of boost; little extreme and not very likely. I believe the bread and butter info is between 40psi and 70psi.

My request from people would be your willingness to loan me the above listed pumps for the testing. Between my willingness to perform the tests on pumps and others' willingness to provide the pumps, I believe the result would be a kick-ass, one-stop, accurate reference for the differences between popular pumps.

How does that sound? :beer:

Ironhand

Banned
I have two stock 03-04 Cobra pumps laying around. Pay the shipping and you can use either one for your needs.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I think a good thing to test as well is how much of an effect, if any, does increasing the voltage on a pump have on the pump's lifespan.

This could be handy for people who are trying to create a (more) reliable project car.

Digital

Established Member
i believe i have some focus pumps laying around u can try. same conditions as ironhand.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ive seen charts that usually state flow and pressure @ a given voltage and current draw.

You might want to research, im pretty sure youre late to this party (at least when it comes to aftermarket pumps).

Black306

Established Member
I already bore most of the cost associated with the project (power supply, FPR, fuel containers, etc.). Plus, I'm willing to provide my time for the project. I would prefer anyone that is interested in these type of results to bear a minimal amount. I don't think $5-10 shipping it to me is too much to ask.

Ive seen charts that usually state flow and pressure @ a given voltage and current draw.

You might want to research, im pretty sure youre late to this party (at least when it comes to aftermarket pumps).

KB has done some research but I've read discrepancies in their own results. Other than KBs, this is the best comparison I've seen online.

Fuel Pump Comparison Test : Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More

However, it only covers an Aeromotive Stealth pump and a GSS342. The other two are not very popular for Mustangs. Plus, the Aeromotive and GSS pumps may perform slightly different in my rig. Which defeats of main purpose of my project; all pumps tested in one place.

GodStang

Established Member

Yes just about every company that sales any fuel items have done a test similar to this over the past 10+ yrs. Also a lot of the magazines have also done it. The best one done yet is Fore's because IIRC they did it under 03-04 conditions so they would be real life to the ones that own the cobras. Test/results very different from KBs. Also think they are the ones that tested running a BAP on a Return style pump and tested running a return pump in a returnless setup.

That being said there is always room for more testing. Especially independent testing. Also wanting to see if in fact the GT500/SVT Focus/Aviator pumps are all the same. They look the same in some cases I have found then same part number listed for each. The question is do they in fact flow the same. Also want to see under car conditions how do GSS342s flow compared to Stealth 340. I will see if I have any pumps laying around to send your way and please keep us updated.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ Derek did do some testing a couple months ago and as usual thomas bashing and SVT's Fuel guru at that.. WTF??

Black306

Established Member
Yup, I still have it. I tested some GT pumps for a few people that thought their pumps were bad, but not any on my suggested list.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I have the Aero 340 in my Fox. It flows pretty damn well. Kicks the hell out of my GSS342 WITH a BAP all the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread