Will be in San Francisco. Any help is appreciated!

semperfimrn1

Established Member
i will be in San Francisco tomorrow thought the 19th. am looking for any suggestions to do with the lady while we are out there. it will be her first time going and will be my second. i havent been in over 7 years at least.

will be staying at the hilton in union square until the 16th then at a embassy til the 19th close to the airport. she of course wants to see the bridge, alcatraz, and pier 39. besides the major tourist stuff anything else thats fun to check out? i would love to rent a car and drive out to Yosemite for a day.

any suggestions would be helpful!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Exploratorium is pretty sweet, if you are a science geek youll love it. Like a huge science fair, a bunch of hands-on experiments that deal with physics, electricity, weather, sound, sight, and even genetics.

If you cant make it out to Yosemite (like a 3.5hr drive each way from SF) you can check out Muir Woods and Muir Beach just north of Sausalito.

Theres enough on the mainland though to keep you busy for a day or two. Just start walking around youll find shit to do. However Pier39, Alcatraz and GoldenGate are pretty much the main attractions.

pacgreencobra

Established Member
Exploratorium is right next to palace of Fine Arts, both pretty cool. Across the street is Crissy Field, you can walk from the Exploratorium to Golden Gate Bridge via Crissy Field, also check out the beach and marina right there. Coit Tower is pretty legit, go at night for good city views. Check out my Uncle's restaurant "George's" on Sansome and Sacramento, mostly seafood, good atmosphere. North Beach has a ton of restaurants/shops/bars, mostly Italian, Chinatown is adjacent to North Beach. A few other restaurants: Capanina, Osteria, Alioto's (pier 39). Chesnut Street in the Marina (near Bridge, Exploratorium, etc.) is good for walking/coffee/shops, relatively upscale area. The presidio can be cool, Golden Gate Park is huge, great for walking, within the park is the DeYoung Art Museum and the California Academy of Sciences, which in my opinion is cooler than the exploratorium but both are legit. Union Square is cool for shopping, Westfield Mall, definitely stay out of the Tenderloin unless you like crack or heroin, and don't go to Hunter's Point. There's tons of other stuff to do, I hope that helps. I live and work in SF, you can PM if you have any other questions or anything at all. Enjoy your trip!

Also: If you're going to drive around: Half Moon Bay, Sausalito (Angelino's Restaurant, also Excellent City Views from here, can take ferry there from Pier 39- if my boat was running I'd offer you a ride), Stinson Beach if weather is good, which it is. There's a good shooting range by San Quentin Prison (Bullseye indoor range), Angel Island (pretty much undeveloped island near Alcatraz, good for hiking/walking, not crowded at all weekdays, excellent SF/Marin Views, plus old WWII bunkers/remnants of structures and administrative buildings, you can rent bikes there and ride around or walk, I love it there)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Dang i think im gonna take a ride and check out the California Academy of Sciences, never even heard of it till now.

pacgreencobra

Established Member
It's awesome, they have the Steinhart (sp?) Aquarium in there, an indoor rainforest, Planetarium, Evolution/Archaeology exhibits, rooftop garden, and cool architecture. Go early in the day during the week or you'll be overrun by kids and tourists, but it's definitely worth it.

OP: Also in my previous post I forgot to mention the Marin Headlands, good views, a beach, old bunkers/lookouts; it's where you see all the car commercials with the bridge in the background, good photo opportunity for you and your GF. It's right off the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge, second exit.

s_x_i

Established Member
I was just there, definitely check out the Muir Woods, they were awesome.

Rent you a new 5.0 whilst you're there and tear up the back roads! I went on an awesome (if unplanned) drive... let me see if I can find you the route.

Edit: Here ya go - this is the route I took ( :lol: ) well it's close to it! It was an awesome drive :banana:

Scenic%20Drive.jpg

Last edited:

g00se

I am Second
Established Member
OP- Have some fun man! Fill us in on the good and the bad when you get back. I'm taking my girl real soon. It's both of our first times. Advice, opinions, comments, and witty remarks appreciated lol

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Take her to the Ghirardelli Square, Cable Car Museum, & don't forget Chinatown.

And get a tour of the USS Pampanito

Last edited:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Dim Sum lunch in China Town and Salmon for dinner at Scoma's. At union square, you're within walking distance of many places - at worst a short cab ride. A variety of great museums in the area, Alcatraz is good fun but you may or may not need to buy tickets in advance.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I was just there, definitely check out the Muir Woods, they were awesome.

Rent you a new 5.0 whilst you're there and tear up the back roads! I went on an awesome (if unplanned) drive... let me see if I can find you the route.

Edit: Here ya go - this is the route I took ( :lol: ) well it's close to it! It was an awesome drive :banana:

Scenic%20Drive.jpg

dang, you>googlemaps.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Get out of the city. Drive hwy 1, 35 and most connecting roads. A few years ago, 35 was voted the best drive ever.
The city is for tourists.
Have fun
Jeff

semperfimrn1

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. We have done and seen a lot. We just got back from yosemite. Drive wasn't that bad but still was fun to see some new stuff. We went to all the usuals. Warf, Golden bridge, bay bridge, giants stadium, pier 39 just to name a few. Union square is busy. Lots of people walking around and idiots driving lol. Lots of homeless people as well. Chinatown was cool. We walked through it on our way to lambard st. We leave tomorrow afternoon so who knows what we'll do in the morning

Users who are viewing this thread