Will OEM 03/04 Cobra H-pipe work on a 96-97 Cobra?

luke87gt

Established Member
Hi folks, I have been looking for a replacement OEM h-pipe for smog purposes.

I have access to an OEM H-pipe from a 03/04 Cobra and would like to know if it will be a direct bolt-on to my 96 Cobra?

Thanks

luke87gt

Established Member
Thank you very much for the offer.
I actually need this permanently since I am selling the car soon.
Any chance you'd be willing to sell it?
Thanks
Luke

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
i had to buy this one from a dude up in Rocklin, I've only used it once, but I think I'm gonna hold onto it for now. If you change your mind and just want to borrow it, just let me know!

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
96-98 outlet port Studs are 4 1/2in apart.
03-04 outlet port studs are 4 in apart so you need to hog out the H pipe holes just little.
left side only.

Last edited:

1989Gt.

Banned
why are you having this much hassle. I live in cali and your making this way to hard. FInd a x pipe with cats it will pass. Ive had 3 or 4 different x and h pipes with "high flow" cats in them and never failed emissions. Also i passed with a off road h pipe now. and a engine swap half the people out their dont know what they are even looking at.

luke87gt

Established Member
I can't pass a visual at a test only station with an aftermarket catted midpipe. Unfortunately I don't choose test only stations for myself. Capice?

And does anyone know if the 96GT H-pipe is the same as the 96 Cobra H-pipe?

Thanks

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
the gt and cobra h pipes are identical...fo rthe sn95...the 03 cobra one is a pain in the butt..i tried it on mine and gave up..

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I can't pass a visual at a test only station with an aftermarket catted midpipe. Unfortunately I don't choose test only stations for myself. Capice?

And does anyone know if the 96GT H-pipe is the same as the 96 Cobra H-pipe?

Thanks

If the catted midpipe is carb legal it should pass shouldn't it? Regardless of if it's OEM or aftermarket.

luke87gt

Established Member
If the catted midpipe is carb legal it should pass shouldn't it? Regardless of if it's OEM or aftermarket.

Do you know of an aftermarket catted pipe that has a CARB#? :)

Mine passed visual in CA with a catted BBK X Pipe....

It passed because your smog guy didn't notice or looked the other way.

I've already been turned away multiple times for a catted aftermarket pipe and just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Mine passed visual in CA with a catted BBK X Pipe....

You picked the right smog shop. Most (but not all) smog shops down here in the South Bay are very picky. It could have something to do with them throwing a bunch of local smog techs in jail a couple of years ago.

I don't know of any catted X pipes with a CARB EO sticker.

Last edited:

luke87gt

Established Member
You picked the right smog shop. Most (but not all) smog shops down here in the South Bay are very picky. It could have something to do with them throwing a bunch of local smog techs in jail a couple of years ago.

I don't know of any catted X pipes with a CARB EO sticker.

Mark, here in the East Bay I have been turned away for a K&N filter. The guys was looking for any excuse to turn me away when he saw a lowered Cobra come into his shop.

I've been turned away for CAI, I've been turned away for catted aftermarket pipes. Most smog techs really seem to play it by the book these days due to heavy penalties if caught.

I am not aware of any smog legal aftermarket pipes on the market due to how difficult and expensive it is for a company to get a CARB#

projectslideway

Established Member
I'm running on 03/04 cobra factory h pipe on my 96 cobra. Had to elongate the holes on the h pipe flange on the driver's side and unbolt the o2 harness from the front of the block to give it the slack needed to reach. It was really easy.

luke87gt

Established Member
I'm running on 03/04 cobra factory h pipe on my 96 cobra. Had to elongate the holes on the h pipe flange on the driver's side and unbolt the o2 harness from the front of the block to give it the slack needed to reach. It was really easy.

When you refer to O2s, are you talking about the front or the rear?

What about the hangers?

Users who are viewing this thread