Winter storage...do you start it, or just leave it?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I put my car in storage in the middle of November....it about 40 miles from me in a warehouse. Its not really easy to get to, so I was wondering if its a good idea to go and start it. I have it on a battery tender and its covered and parked on cardboard. The only reason I ask is this is the first time It has been away from me. I'd drive it once or twice in the winter when the weather was nice and the roads were clear....but now that I'm married and live in a condo with a 1 car garage...its a bitch with 3 cars. I probably won't take it out until April....so that would mean it would sit for 4 months.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I personally do not know. [I live in florida]

But I have heard that people will start it every once in a while, just to make sure that the seals don't dry out on you.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
If you do start it, you need to run it long enough to get up to temperature. Otherwise, condensation can cause problems. It should be okay just over the winter months. :beer:

GA Terminator

Established Member
I live in ATL, don't drive my 03 all that much and put it up for the season a couple of months ago. The battery tender is a great idea, I have one as well. I start mine and let it run up to temp about every 3 weeks or so.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
My Slobra hasn't been started since October. Now that you said something I will probably start it over the weekend, or one of these nights after work. If the roads are clean I will spin it around the block as well.

jtkz13

Established Member
I usually start mine and let it idle for 15-20 minutes to make sure it gets warm. I do it to help prevent condensation in the engine and gas tank.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Im with CSD, i start mine every ten days or so and let it idle till op temp and if the roads are clean ill take it for a spin around the block for poops and giggles

eclipsemustang

Established Member
i was going to ask the same thing, i normally start mine every 2 weekends because it is stored about 30 min away, but this year i havent started either car once.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I started it once last winter on the battery tender and I was fine....I may go start it this weekend then.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I go start mine every month or so, and if there isnt snow on the roads ill take her out and burn some gas out.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
All my cars, i fill the tank, and some sta bil and dry gas, then disconnect the battery, cover them up, and walk away from it till spring. Have never had a problem...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're really fine leaving it for the winter, assuming you stored it properly and added fuel stabilizer to the tank. Otherwise start it occasionally and try to get it up to temperature. Maybe take it out on the road for a ride to get it up to temperature.

Here are some tips for storing your car over the winter by the way. Tips For Storing Your Car Over the Winter

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Mine usually sits for 5 months and might get started twice and is only to move it in or out of the garage.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i start mine a few times, usually to move in/out of garage. let it warm up nice the other day then changed the oil. i cant drive it on these snowy/salted roads so i have to run it to hear some of that loud exhaust rumble

jfsram

Established Member
The important part is before storage. Change the oil, clean, wax, fill the tank with winter fuel if it's sitting in the cold. The leave it until spring.

Stabil is good advice for long storage but 5 months is not long.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I have not started mine in a couple weeks because of this AIDsly snow and single digit nights we have been having. I will probably start it up this week though and let it run for 15 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread