Would appreciate some good advice

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Hey guys, long time member here. Some of you oldtimers will remember me when I had the 1997 Rio Red Cobra. Now I own a 14 GT. I sold the 97 to a guy in TX in March 2013 for $9k. The car had 62k miles and about $11k of suspension, exhaust and interior mods. The car was bone stock when I bought it in 2004 and everything was done with quality parts. The car is now not running and the owner doesn't know why. Says it just chugs so probably a broken timing chain so I'm assuming needs a new engine or rebuild. He said it has approximately 70k miles now and has been sitting for a year. He will sell it to me for $4,500 if I come get it. I have hours and hours of blood, sweat and road racing in this car, so it has some sentimental value to me. I'm thinking of dropping a 5.0 Coyote engine into it eventually if I buy it back. What do you think? Is it worth $4,500?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You realize this is like asking people sitting at a bar if you should have another drink... so my answer is YES, do it now - run, don't walk.

Helomech74

Established Member
If everything else is good to go (body, interior, suspension, etc.), then I would say 4500 is a good price to start at. I'd offer 3500 and go from there. I don't know what the going rate of a coyote swap is, but if the total for the car and engine swap, etc. came in under 10K, I'd say it would be worth it.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Hey guys, long time member here. Some of you oldtimers will remember me when I had the 1997 Rio Red Cobra. Now I own a 14 GT. I sold the 97 to a guy in TX in March 2013 for $9k. The car had 62k miles and about $11k of suspension, exhaust and interior mods. The car was bone stock when I bought it in 2004 and everything was done with quality parts. The car is now not running and the owner doesn't know why. Says it just chugs so probably a broken timing chain so I'm assuming needs a new engine or rebuild. He said it has approximately 70k miles now and has been sitting for a year. He will sell it to me for $4,500 if I come get it. I have hours and hours of blood, sweat and road racing in this car, so it has some sentimental value to me. I'm thinking of dropping a 5.0 Coyote engine into it eventually if I buy it back. What do you think? Is it worth $4,500?

Where is it at in Texas and wheee are you...Oklahoma correct?? I remember you from SVTP....Can't remember the name.
I'll check it out for you if it's close to me.
And yes, I'd offer $3,500, end up meeting him at $4,000 and be done with it. Slap a Coyote in it like I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's hard to say what sentimental value is worth to you. Personally, I wouldn't pay $4,500 for a car with a bum motor. I'd probably stick to my guns at $3,500. If the body and everything else is still solid, maybe $4,000.

josephcostello

Established Member
Buy the car back if you can afford it. $4,500 for something you put your blood and sweat into and it would give you the opportunity to make it even better.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
If you already have it in your head that you'd shell out the dough to drop a Coyote motor in the car than yeah buy it back. If you're not looking to spend the money to either rebuild or replace the motor (depending on what the real problem is) then I wouldn't touch it.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Yeah Id do it! there was a guy from SVTP that had a 97 vert roller with full mm suspension that i almost picked up for 3500. Well worth it for something that has sentimental value !

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
It looks like the 2014 GT will be sold on Saturday so I will have $15k left over after I pay off my Nissan Titan. I'm just going to sit on the cash all winter and mull over what to do. I'll invest the money those months and see if I can make another couple grand on it. What I really want is a blue 2015 GT with the perf pkg, but I don't want a payment. Wish I had a job with a bigger annual bonus so I could afford to have two toys...

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Is having the old Cobra back still on the list?

If the car is still in good shape, and still has all the suspension and other mods done to it, it would make for a good winter project. Engine swap? (Coyote or 03-04 Cobra).... and/or even IRS swap it.
Lots of potential and many way to stretch your dollar on this sort of build, vs buying new and having a payment.
More gratifying having built something. Thats just me though.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Absolutely buy it back. With that much invested in the suspension, it's worth 4,500. If anything drop a working 96-98 Cobra motor in it and flip it.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Is having the old Cobra back still on the list?

If the car is still in good shape, and still has all the suspension and other mods done to it, it would make for a good winter project. Engine swap? (Coyote or 03-04 Cobra).... and/or even IRS swap it.
Lots of potential and many way to stretch your dollar on this sort of build, vs buying new and having a payment.
More gratifying having built something. Thats just me though.
Yeah it's still a possibility. I want to get as close to another 100hp out of it as possible if I do buy it. Not not sure what to do. I really don't want to put more than an additional $5k into it if I do buy it back...

Users who are viewing this thread