XCAL2 question

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
to those of you who know, how does this system work? they program in a baseline and i tune from there? i really dont know much about it but it would be cool to have a retarded setup for daily driving so i could run 87 octane, then have a stock setup, then a advanced setup for n/a. this would work nicely if the stock setup could be tuned for the nitrous. ive been looking into it more it seems like an easier plug and play route compared to a megasquirt/msd setup. i will lose spark output but i think the stock ignition can withstand a 100 shot i ran a 75 with no retard without problems already.... any feedback is appreciated :rockon:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I don't believe the XCAL2 has a lot of tuning features in it. I believe its the ProRacer Package that allows you to fine tune it. I believe it allows to you adjust some timing points and a few other things, but probably not to the degree you are looking for.

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
yeah thats why i ask. it has features that allow you to retard/advance though. it would be just enough for what i need, it can retard up to 8 degrees the only downside is it retards in 2000 rpm incriments. still though it would work. i'll look into the pro racer package and see what that has. basically for 400$ the xcal2 looks like a good deal especially for something that just plugs into the diagnostic port. i just wanted to make sure i could tune it myself not just what they flash it at from the factory, thanks for the help :)

SpookSVT

Established Member
Yes you can tune it yourself on the dyno or via a datalogger. The PRP is similar to what a dyno shop would use just this is for you specific make/model/year. For $800 the PRP gets you all the tuning capabilities and the raptor datalogger which is highly acclaimed in its capabilities.

slo-ryd

SCT Certified
Established Member
The XCal2 is great and can be custom tuned by your dealer as you modify your car.

The PRP is just that.. a Pro Racer's Package. Unless you have a quality wideband 02 sensor and a very good general knowledge of tuning, you stand a chance of doing alot more harm than good.

You will get the most out of your combination by having it dyno tuned by a professional.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Yes you can tune it yourself on the dyno or via a datalogger. The PRP is similar to what a dyno shop would use just this is for you specific make/model/year. For $800 the PRP gets you all the tuning capabilities and the raptor datalogger which is highly acclaimed in its capabilities.

$800??? That's a crazy price to pay.. I had a Group Buy on CEG that was a LOT cheaper..

As for the Xcal2, you can only adjust your timing up to 5 degrees. Your A/F can be adjusted 6% leaner, and 14% richer. You can also get a better deal than $400 on the Xcal2.

Go to www.brenspeed.com. Give them a call and talk to Brent White. He can get you an Xcal2 shipped for $379. He's done quite a few for Contour owners.

And yes, the stock ignition will easily handle a 100 shot. I run a 100 shot w/ my 3L, and no problems.

Mark

Last edited:

SpookSVT

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
$800??? That's a crazy price to pay.. I had a Group Buy on CEG that was a LOT cheaper..

Is that w/ the Raptor Datalogger too? This was the price I found at Modular Depot, never really interested in buying it so I never really looked for a better price.

Did you dyno w/ your 100 shot yet?

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
well MSD is taking back my ignition so im going to get the XCAL2. im not looking for massive amounts of tunability so i am going to start with this. for 400$ it should do what i want it to. i'll hit that guy up to get the better price, thanks for that info!

Users who are viewing this thread