Built Bottom End, JBA Longtubes & Vortech on Dyno

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Making these newer mustangs haul ass is something we at BBR love to it. I enjoy seeing people drive away feeling good and knowing that their mustang is now beast! I've said it before and I'll say it again..... The coyote / roadrunner platform was one of the best things Ford ever did. It pretty much re-invented the book for how mustangs run. Now it is always recommend to build the car in sections (motor, drive train, suspension. chassie) and I highly suggest this but with modern day technology, it's not needed as soon.

Our local customer and another SVTP member has been running his 2012 GT/CS auto at the track with his Vortech added mustang for some time. He has run amazing times with minor add-ons, stock suspension, and a 20" MT drag radial. Breaking his car into the mid 10s for awhile and still daily drives it. I have to commend him on what he does. :beer:

Now.... when pushing the limits, it's always better to think ahead. So the owner decided it was time to give himself some more insurance which to me is a smart idea. No harm with wanting more esp when track times are important to him.

We had MPR work with us on a good but nothing to crazy bottom end build that will hold what he is doing. With MPR and their amazing reputation, this was something he wasn't worried about and got right on it.

With using his stock crank (come forged), we added a Manley Rod with a Manley Piston and a AP Ring. Kept the bore stock but bumped up the compression a half a point so it will be a 11:5:1. We kept the heads stock because they have proven to make good power without any upgrades at this hp range (anything more we would recommend adding a better valve spring like MMR. Boss springs are okay but only a small step over the factory GT ones)

So once the motor was built, we went ahead and put everything back in the car. Other supporting mods are:

Vortech V3 A2A -not bought from beefcake
stock pulley
80lb Injectors
Vortech Universal BAP
JLT CAI
JLT Oil Seperator
BOSS Manifold
Dynatech D.S.
JBA Longtubes
JBA Off Road X Pipe
3.55 Gears
BMR Adj PHB

Now.... The next part I want to talk about is the JBA longtube headers...

This was the most recent install we have done with the newer design they did to them. I will admit, they have come a long way over the years and for the price.... it's pretty damn good.

Here is a pic of the headers installed:

One key feature that that we really liked about these headers is the V-Band Clamp for the headers to the X pipe.

Now the main issue we had was connecting the X-Pipe to the flow tubes. The X pipe was to long and we had to cut some of the pipe off to get them fit.

Once it was trimmed, we had no issues with anything else.

So once this was complete.... Time to hit the roller. Now this motor was built about a month ago and the owner has been driving it to break it in. It was time to see what she had!

it didn't take long for our tuner Chris Jones to get this car dialed in at all. The sound was amazing with the JBA longtubes going into the GT500 Axle back as it echoed through the building.

Dyno Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9lTXToLBU&feature=youtu.be

Here is the graph in STD RPM.

Now I am also adding the STD graph in MPH to show you all that what I'm saying is in fact true regardless on how people really think. This is why we use mph because their is no difference in numbers.

After this car put down some amazing numbers with very little 17degrees of timing and a perfect 11.4 A/F across the board... we decided to see how she acted on the streets.

Owner taking his car out for the first time with the blower and built motor and getting on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAWpbwQHdJo&feature=youtu.be

In car video. This was a fun quick ride I must say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvBT0F4CQQ&feature=youtu.be

Owner will be going to the track tomorrow and we will see how she reacts now....

STAY TUNED!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bud

Established Member
I may have missed it, but what pressure you running, and how much do you think the .5 bump in compression gained you?

2012csgt

Established Member
Awesome job again guys!

How does the owner like those rear tires with that power?

Thanks guys, I would like to thank BBR, Chris and Steve, for spending the extra time and staying late at the shop to make sure everything was perfect with the car. The car is screaming..! And I have no worries with a built short block. Track time tomorrow.

The back tires I have had on for about 3000 miles and love em. The traction is good and when I go to the track all I have to do is air them down, thats my track prep.

How many PSI is that at? Nice build and numbers man.

I saw 10psi @ about 7400-7500 with the stock pulley (3.60). Soon the 3.48 will go on.

How much did the install and shortblock cost? I have a procharger and I am close to having the money to build my engine.

Call BBR, they have a great connection with a top engine builder to get it done.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
Congrats Bro and nice work BBR , shame I cant make it out to the track to watch you run...Good luck!

Deespeed99

Established Member
Please dont take this as an attack but the 2 graphs dont prove anything other then MPH does show higher then RPM. If you posted a SAE RPM vs the STD MPH the difference would be quite substantial. Either way its putting down some NICE power! You guys pumping out some nice stuff for spring/summer!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Please dont take this as an attack but the 2 graphs dont prove anything other then MPH does show higher then RPM. If you posted a SAE RPM vs the STD MPH the difference would be quite substantial. Either way its putting down some NICE power! You guys pumping out some nice stuff for spring/summer!

Understandable and thank you! I can honestly say its really not much difference of maybe 6 or 7hp. The most I have seen lately (Florida cold fronts) is off by about 14. You can ask the owner of this car and all the other ones we have done lately and they will agree its no difference or power changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohiborn80

Banned
This car on 93? Did see fuel. What do you think is limit for power on 93 at standard or his compression? Would dropping down to 10:1 be better staying on 93?

from the famous tapatalk

2012csgt

Established Member
This car on 93? Did see fuel. What do you think is limit for power on 93 at standard or his compression? Would dropping down to 10:1 be better staying on 93?

from the famous tapatalk

The car is on straight 93. I didnt want to drop to 10:1 because I didnt want to take a 50hp hit just to try and make up for it with more boost. I am only looking to drop down 1 pulley size and make a little over 700. But when I do, I will be mixing in some race gas.

Users who are viewing this thread