K&N, AFE, and Stock Air filter Dyno Results:

Shaun@AED

Below is the comparison of the 3 filters in the stock air box.
All runs were done back to back with no cooling time between runs. No tune modifications were made.
3 back to back runs were made to heat the engine up, then 1 run with each filter. Nothing scientific about the 'test', so please view these results with a grain of salt.

Bright Red = AFE
Green = Stock
Dark Red = K&N

IMG_0188.gif

IMG_0189.gif

AirFilterTest.gif

Shaun@AED

Thanks for sharing. When are you going to be testing a traditional style cold air? Thanks...

Every one I've had on the dyno has made more power the than stock CAI. It's the track where I need to further test aftermarket CAI's, and that's very limited due to weather and Holiday season.

I'm going to do my best to break into the 10's with the stock CAI.
Once the stock CAI/Intake setup is optimized, I'll go back to an aftermarket CAI and see what we can do with it.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Every one I've had on the dyno has made more power the than stock CAI. It's the track where I need to further test aftermarket CAI's, and that's very limited due to weather and Holiday season.

I'm going to do my best to break into the 10's with the stock CAI.
Once the stock CAI/Intake setup is optimized, I'll go back to an aftermarket CAI and see what we can do with it.

Im right there with you. All be it... not N/A but its cool to say you have a 10sec car with the stock paper filter.

Chris

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i think this pretty much proves that AFE>all other drop ins

AFE= dry flow, lifetime filter, easiest clean up and maintnence

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member

How so? It made the least amount of HP and only .1 more TQ than the stock filter. The lines look about the same to me and the K&N made 1 ft lb more TQ than stock and .9 ft lb more than the AFE 50RPM earlier.

To me it looks like the K&N is the way to go or save your money and stay stock, it seems to be doing a well enough job.

sloppymax

Established Member
Just for note, that is not the dry AFE. That is the oiled version. The dry version is grey. I went with it because it was cleanable with water and soap for when it was heavily soiled or just water when it was just dirty. No worries of oil getting on the maf either. I was never worried about making power with a drop in, especially when the results show what they have above. I just wanted cleanable, dry media and good filtering testing results.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
How so? It made the least amount of HP and only .1 more TQ than the stock filter. The lines look about the same to me and the K&N made 1 ft lb more TQ than stock and .9 ft lb more than the AFE 50RPM earlier.

To me it looks like the K&N is the way to go or save your money and stay stock, it seems to be doing a well enough job.

Well they ALL made 434 to the wheels. I'm not worried about .4 hp.....
Same with the TQ.

the stock has to be replaced frequently

the K&N cleaned, buy the recharge kit, time consuming.

the AFE is dry flow, Lifetime filter, can be wash with dishsoap, air dry and pop in! easy as that

wbt

Banned

What this tells me is that the numbers are all within the margin of error and that there is 0 gain over the stock paper filter. The main reason for an aftermarket drop-in would be because it is reusable.

I got my K&N for less than $40 shipped. Hard to beat that for a reusable filter.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
Well they ALL made 434 to the wheels. I'm not worried about .4 hp.....
Same with the TQ.

the stock has to be replaced frequently

the K&N cleaned, buy the recharge kit, time consuming.

the AFE is dry flow, Lifetime filter, can be wash with dishsoap, air dry and pop in! easy as that

I see what you mean by best for cleaning and simple maintenance. I was going just based of best for HP and TQ via the provided graphs.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for the info Shaun after the holiday days we shall have to meet up at the track.

351inside

Established Member
Man those torque number are great, most ive seen are very low between 390 & 410...

Would your email tunes be close to these numbers with out messing with the timing to much?? I really want a tune were my.timing isnt high like it is right now and from ive read you say global spark is close to stock, my tune right.now is at 26*

Shaun@AED

TQ numbers are NOT accurate.

Put simply, I'm a lazy sack when dynoing my car. HP numbers are accurate, but the RPM input is not, so TQ reads high. Subtract 30 and that's close to actual TQ.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thread brought back to help people looking for this info to find it.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I have a brand new K&N filter for sale still in the package. If anyone is interested PM me know....$39 shipped.

whatwhine

Established Member
Yea I remember this thread.
This is a hot topic. K&n Claims 1-4 hp with their filter. Shaun saw +1. Other Dynos I've read had losses. Some as great as -4hp compared to stock.

Me personally- I hate kn. the oiled filter design is not good for maf and other electronics. It's up to the user to monitor the oil level.

Afe has the best looking filter setup in my opinion. It's a reusable filter.
It gets my vote.

I kno no one asked my opinion..... Just sticking my thoughts out there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread