Ticking from the Transmission

Jefe

Established Member
Thought I had an exhaust leak but put a stethoscope on the trans and its coming from behind the bellhousing. Only occurs when the car is warmed up otherwise it is very faint. Its a very sporadic ticking. Pressing the clutch pedal doesn't change it at all. Guy at the exhaust shop said its my TOB :shrug:

DSCI1038-2.flv video by RepnPB21 - Photobucket

Jefe

Established Member
Ya it doesn't change when I push the clutch in so it cant be that.

Its only "loud" after the car is warmed up or I get on it a little bit. Ya you can hear it in the car with the windows down. Just a faint sporadic ticking and I can hear it throughout the RPM band. Lift the hood up and you cant hear it at all over the injectors. Put a stethoscope on the heads and its not coming from there.

It sounds to me like its closer to the tail shaft than the bellhousing. I did throw a P2270 code this morning too...Had that same code before I switched from the BBK to the JLT a while back. Seemed to clear itself after the install.

Guess I need to get under the car again and pinpoint exactly where its coming from. What else should I check? In the vid you can hear it clearly with 26 seconds left when I rev it a little. Its sporadic when idling and then a constant ticking the higher the RPM

ModularFan

Established Member
maybe an S clamp or what ever you call those things on the drive shaft broke off, I forget what you call them, but you have to squeeze them with pilars to put them in that small indented circle on the driveshaft, its like a curled up snake looking clamp.

Jefe

Established Member
Ill look for those but if its a problem by the driveshaft wouldn't it only make noise when in gear? Any pics of those you mentioned?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
got your pm.

Are you still running an EGR? If so, from the symptoms mentioned it sounds like one the ends might be partially loose, or the EGR supply tube itself may be cracked.

If not running an EGR, long tubes notorious for loosening up, everywhere and anywhere. An exhaust leak can and sometimes does sound like a metalic tick.

If there is no change when the clutch pedal is pressed, I don't see how it could possibly be trans related.

Jefe

Established Member
got your pm.

Are you still running an EGR? If so, from the symptoms mentioned it sounds like one the ends might be partially loose, or the EGR supply tube itself may be cracked.

If not running an EGR, long tubes notorious for loosening up, everywhere and anywhere. An exhaust leak can and sometimes does sound like a metalic tick.

If there is no change when the clutch pedal is pressed, I don't see how it could possibly be trans related.
Bone stock besides JLT/Bassani catback & Catted X. Changed out the steering rack for one from Ford and new alum bushings and thats about it. Anymore info on that EGR tube or where I will find it?(clearly im a rookie) The more I think about it too the more it sounds like it cant be trans related because it drives and shifts the same as it did when I bought the car and it doesnt change

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
This one should be better

[ame=http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/RepnPB21/?action=view&current=DSCI1039-2.flv]
th_DSCI1039-2.jpg
[/ame]

Jefe

Established Member
Well the EGR tube is still in tact and exhaust seems to be snug to the manifolds. Checked the drivers side plugs this morning after reading a few guys here heard ticking and then a plug shot out of their heads so I thought it might be that. 4 plugs on the drivers side were snug and looked to be in good shape. So I took it to a shop and got in the pit with a stethoscope and listened to both exhaust pipes, the trans in multiple spots, the oil pan, parts of the block and couldn't hear the ticking or anything but air or moving parts in those. Went on top and couldn't hear the ticking over the injectors but I listened to the supercharger and both heads and nothing from those either. Went back down under the car and just listened where it was the loudest and it seems to be the back portion of the block. I put the stethoscope on the passenger side manifold that comes down to the X pipe and there's a lot of noise coming from it. Didn't seem to be in sync with the ticking but just sounded too loud considering the X piping is fairly quiet and the manifold is that loud when they are connected to each other. Couldnt get to the drivers side manifold because of the heat and my skin wanting to stay on my arm. So Im back to square 1 thinking its a blown manifold gasket or something with the manifolds. Still dont see any driveability changes. Im not getting into boost until I get the tune but you know you can tell when you give it some gas...

Still going to check the pass side plugs tonight. Anyone think it might have to do with the 10w/30 royal purple Im running instead of 5/30? This seemed to start right before the 2nd royal purple oil change. And yes Im running a motorcraft filter.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
what about the little aluminum trans inspection cover... is the arm inside slapping the inside of the cover?

Jefe

Established Member
Thats on the drivers side of the trans right? Checked to make sure it was snug and it was. Ill pull it off and see. What is the arm inside there do? And would it matter if its in gear or not?

Jefe

Established Member
Check engine light came on again this morning(usually front o2 is lean) and it has not been starting "nicely" lately. Takes an extra crank or two for it to start. Think this could be related?

Jefe

Established Member
Thats what im thinking too. Bought it Sep 08 in San Diego. Had BBK CAI, Bassani catback/catted x and a couple weeks after I got home with it the P2270 code showed up, couldnt get rid of it. Ordered the JLT and the code cleared itself the next day. Showed up again last week and yesterday. Dyno'd back in Jan 423rwhp. Little black smoke came out the pipes around 6000rpm. Its ran great ever since. Ordering my tune from Amazon next week if my A/F gets here soon.

Check this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/598858-tick-tick.html

Users who are viewing this thread