tapping/clanking/clicking from engine

TVSCobra

Established Member
Only at idle when warm I can her an occasional tapping/cladder/clicking from the engine. If you increase rpm the noise going away, it doesn't increase with rpm. It doesn't sound like a rod or main and and it isn't the head tick. It's not the fuel injector eithers. At first I thought it was the TO bearing, but the noise has no affect on the clutch being engaged or disengaged. However it does sound like the same noise that my 06 Mustang GT had.

Thanks

Last edited:

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
You could start the car with the blower belt removed to rule out anything in the supercharger.

I had a similar noise and mine turned out to be a bad catalytic converter.

TVSCobra

Established Member
no the noise completely goes away with rpm, the noise is only a idle on a warm engine

Silverboost

Established Member
Mine makes the same noise. There is no noise till the engine is at full operating temperature and at idle. The noise is not constant either. You hear the tapping for a couple of seconds and then you don't for a couple of seconds. I have just learned to live with and if it blows then **** it I am going all out on a rebuild with a lot more boost on my Whipple.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Sounds like we have the same issue, I didn't notice it until I did an oil change. I'm using Valvoline Syn 5w30 and Motorcraft filter. I now that shouldn't be an issue that was when I noticed it.

Roger04Romeo

Established Member
Sounds like we have the same issue, I didn't notice it until I did an oil change. I'm using Valvoline Syn 5w30 and Motorcraft filter. I now that shouldn't be an issue that was when I noticed it.

They recomend a "synthetic blend" ... I don't know if that matters but I called Ford and they almost shit themselves when I asked what oil (I am a Corvette Guy:rolling:) and they insisted on the synthetic blend:shrug:

TVSCobra

Established Member
As soon as I come off idle the noise goes away, I don't here it in the head. It does sound like a lifter/lash adjuster, but it isn't rythmic with the rpm.

venomous99

Established Member
mine i thought was similar in that w/ rpm the sound went away. u may want to try listening to the motor with a stethoscope. i did this and im getting a noticeable metal tapping/clanking sound above cylinder 5. the clanking increases with increased rpm and can only be heard w/ the stethoscope due to the valve cover and engine sound covering up the valve train noise.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Mine makes the same noise. There is no noise till the engine is at full operating temperature and at idle. The noise is not constant either. You hear the tapping for a couple of seconds and then you don't for a couple of seconds. I have just learned to live with and if it blows then **** it I am going all out on a rebuild with a lot more boost on my Whipple.

This sounds exactly like my first head tick. My guess is that the tick (worn valve guides) is your problem

mantis118

Established Member
+1 on the head tick. That is how mine started ticking. Then 4000 miles later it was constant. It is at the stealership getting fixed under warrent right now!

TVSCobra

Established Member
This sounds exactly like my first head tick. My guess is that the tick (worn valve guides) is your problem

+1 on the head tick. That is how mine started ticking. Then 4000 miles later it was constant. It is at the stealership getting fixed under warrent right now!

So your tick at first were only at idle and intermittent? That is how mine is, not rythmic at all with engine speed, not always there, I listened today with a stethescope and did hear anything abnormal from the oil pan or heads. I checked every place on the motor no abnormal noise. My 06 Mustang GT made the same noise for 50000 miles(bought it new, started around 4000 miles), but it was very pronounced when the engine was cold. As soon as I would come off idle the noise when away, it really sounded like it was coming from the bell housing on the GT. I haven't been able to get the Cobra to make the noise when I have it on my lift at work. I think the noise on the GT was possibly a damaged diaphram spring on the pressure plate, but the noise still wouldn't change if the clutch was engaged or disengaged. You could hear it the best around the bell housing. That is where the noise seems to be coming from on the Cobra, but like I said I have yet to get it to do it on the lift.

With all the talk about the head tick, how common is it anyway?

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have also noticed that it is only there between 700-900 RPM, if I tune my idle down to 650 there is no cladder. Between 700-900 RPM you can then here it.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Well I listened more today with the car on my lift with a stethescope. The noise is in the bell housing, it does echo through the pan but is very prounced at the bell housing. However it doesn't matter whether or not the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Like I said before this the exact noise my 06 Mustang GT had. No ticking or abnormal noise from the block, pan or the heads. The noise is there between 700-1000rpm.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Has nothing to do with synthetic blend oil versus full synthetic...I have no problems with RP or Mobil 1 5w-20

Users who are viewing this thread