Mcleod RXT / 26 spline input install

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Over the last month or so I installed a 26 spline input shaft and a Mcleod RXT clutch and thought i'd share!

The first issue, is that my D&D input did not come with a bearing. ( more on that later)

IMG_0615.jpg

To start with, I have a pretty nice magnetic base and mount that I borrowed from work... It's a NOGA unit, one knob in the arms tightens all three joints. One knob tightens the end pivot point, and another knob is a "fine adjustment" that allows you to slowly move the head after everything is tight. I'm using an SPi contact indicator. Both seem to be great products... Much nicer than another setup I was going to try to use... .

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

I have read that end play should be .000 - .002. (inches correct?) This would convert to .00 - .05mm.

With the front cover bolts removed, the old input shaft easily came out.. At this point I was careful to remove the shaft so that I could take note of how the (blocking ring?) was sitting on the shaft. Turns out you really can't screw that up as it has notches that mate up. (the teeth point toward the front)

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Looking at the stock throwout bearing sleeve, I can see where the bearing rode on the shaft, but when cleaning it off there doesn't seem to be any damage or heavy marks. I had plans to re use the stock sleeve .. but more on that later:
IMG_0625.jpg

Stock 10 spline input endplay: (note .01mm gauge)
IMG_0631.jpg

-------

A few days later:

I was able to finish things up this evening with the input shaft..

I was able to get a bearing at NAPA .. an 88048 SKF for around ~$15. I took the shaft back to work and the bearing pressed on pretty easily.

e926e634.jpg

Using a vertical dial indicator I took measurements around the bearing race to ensure it was fairly square with the input shaft.. There was .007mm of variance.. thats .0002ish inches so I knew I was okay
40a73637.jpg

I cleaned everything up as well as I could and put the trans together.. without changing from the stock shim.

I also ended up using a different indicator... It's still an SPi, but with .002mm incriments vs the .01 of the other one I was using.

0b3b257e.jpg

Without silicone and with the bolts snug, I gave the input a few pecks with a wooden hammer, rotated it several times then pushed it as far toward the rear of the trans as I could.. I then set the contact indicator to 0 while allowing it to be under a load so it would read negatively and positively from zero. My Dad was around so I asked him to push on the output shaft... He basically used the handle of a hammer to press against the output moving the input outwards.. I would take note of where the dial went, then push the input inward and take note of how far it would go into the negative side...

I measured .0018", .0019, .0018, and .0019" of end play. With Spec being .000 - .002 I figured I'd pull it apart double check everything, give it one last cleaning then add a bead of RTV and bolt it up!

After bolting up the trans with the silicone, and bolts tightened to at-el-do it ft. lb I took end play measurements again..

.0014, .0014, .0011, .0017 ... an average of .0014 " total end play with the factory shim.. I doubted my self, but after doing some searching it seems that with the D&D shaft being made by Tremec it's pretty common for them to measure in spec with the stock shim..

So... it is what it is... I'm gonna go with it! If it makes weird noises or acts funny we'll know I should have took it somewhere lol
IMG_0632.jpg

-----------------
A few days later:

Well being as I didn't have things ready by NMRA-BG I decided I'd go ahead and pull the trans back apart to install a steel Throwout bearing retainer sleeve. They are apparently weak, and if for some reason the throwout bearing gets in a bind they'll snap at the base raising hell on the input and clutch.

I took a block of wood and a rubber hammer and planned to drive the stock one out... It snapped off at the base! wtf!

IMG_0008-1.jpg

So I took it to work to use the press to push the rest of the sleeve out, while I was there I took a look a the stock sleeve under one of our microscopes. The material thickness at where the sleeve broke was only .185mm !! No wonder these break. I argued with several people that there is no reason why they should break, and I still stand by that, but I suppose with something built this shitty only a hair of force will snap it off.

TBsleevefail.jpg

The new piece:
lfp-t-56-throwout-bearing-retainer-sleeve.jpg

Back together and ready to go in ... finally!!!

877f4961.jpg

The flywheel as returned from mcleod with the new steel insert... looks great! It's a pretty good alternative to buying a new one. The stock flywheel is a great design and a mcleod piece so to me it seemed like a good idea! My only complaint ... they drug ass for 3 weeks to get it back to me.
c418e5a8.jpg

The RXT build quality is really nice. Everything is laid out and labeled to take any confusion out of the install. Everything went smooth (that I know of) We got to the point that where the alignment dowel pins have to press from the trans to the bellhousing and one didn't really want to line up. I was worried at first that one disk hadn't alligned correctly so we wasted a lot of time re aligning the clutch and bla bla bla..

After getting everything bolted back together it seems great! The clutch engages similar in position to the DFX. The clutch lever has plenty of room for travel (seems to be a concern with others.) I went for a quick drive and the thing drives great!

I can't claim that there is no shudder at all, because from a low rpm take off I do get a hint of it from time to time. Overall it feels great though... The clutch pedal effort is fairly light ( probably similar to centerforce) and from other's experience these things will hold tons of power.

Now time to put some mileage on this damn car and enjoy it for a while!

IMG_0612.jpg

Flywheel and Disk 1:
795e48d5.jpg

Flywheel / Disk 1 / Adapter ring / Floater plate
40f39e7b.jpg

Another view of adapter plate / floater ring / disk 2
c7c2d944.jpg

the complete clutch torqued down:

0f7d64c6.jpg

ea65785c.jpg

Oh yeah... and last but not least A new cobra bob double thickness shifter gasket went on during the trans install. I will have to say the price is worth not having silicone smeared around the shifter. For one, silicone often makes getting the shifter off a true task... and secondly there it is almost guaranteed that silicone will wind up inside your transmission.

I'll have to say I do hear a reduction in transmission noise with the new gasket by cobra bob.. thanks for making a quality product at a fair price!

T-56Set.gif

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Nice writeup and great pics. Did you end up getting the D&D tube? I did that on my last TOB replacement and could barely notice a difference. The collar must be thicker though

SVT_Troy

Established Member
great writeup and i love the pics! I just pulled the beast of an alternator out today and the bellhousing. Going to pull my spec 3 and flywheel tomorrow to inspect it and replace the rear main seal!

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Nice writeup and great pics. Did you end up getting the D&D tube? I did that on my last TOB replacement and could barely notice a difference. The collar must be thicker though

I ended up using an LFP tube and overall had no issues other than the LFP o-ring coming apart while pressing it into the front cover.

great writeup and i love the pics! I just pulled the beast of an alternator out today and the bellhousing. Going to pull my spec 3 and flywheel tomorrow to inspect it and replace the rear main seal!

Thanks! The "better" photos are from a canon DSLR, the crappy photos were on the fly iphone 4 pics.

This photo of the broken area on the stock sleeve is from a Nikon / Jomesa Microscope that was intended to be used for cleanliness analysis. ( I work as an engineer for an automotive supplier.)

It's a pretty neat representation of exactly how weak the stock sleeves are in this area

TBsleevefail.jpg

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing! I plan on going with that same clutch come spring time. Keep us updated on the clutch as it gets broken in!

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Thanks Guys...

No more than I drive it, It'll probably take all winter to break it in haha

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
One other thing to add,

When installing the clutch I was prepared to have to either grind on the bellhousing to add clearance or install an adjustable pivot ball in order to get things right.

I didn't have to do anything at all. With the clutch cable adjusted for a DFX, the Mcleod seemed nearly perfect. When engaged, the throwout bearing barely touches the clutch levers just enough to keep it from rattling. When disengaged, the clutch is completely disengaged, and on jack stands the rear tires do not turn. There is plenty of room for the clutch lever..

Should I be looking at something else? It drives great, and nothing looks unusual.

Termilvr

Established Member
One other thing to add,

When installing the clutch I was prepared to have to either grind on the bellhousing to add clearance or install an adjustable pivot ball in order to get things right.

I didn't have to do anything at all. With the clutch cable adjusted for a DFX, the Mcleod seemed nearly perfect. When engaged, the throwout bearing barely touches the clutch levers just enough to keep it from rattling. When disengaged, the clutch is completely disengaged, and on jack stands the rear tires do not turn. There is plenty of room for the clutch lever..

Should I be looking at something else? It drives great, and nothing looks unusual.

the only problem is that it grabs way up top on the pedal, amybe not with the stock flywheel but even with my pivot ball shortened and a fidanza flywheel it grabs to high for me.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Just a quick update...

I've got a few hundred miles on the clutch now (hadn't drove it much being winter)

The clutch does still have some chatter / shudder / bull hunching .. whatever you want to call it when engaging. The clutch pedal effort is softer than stock, but the feel of the clutch is pretty aggressive.

I had anticipations based on everyones reviews that it would have no chatter, but thats really just not the case. I suppose no one wants to admit the clutch has an aggressive feel after spending nearly $1k?>

overall I like the clutch... I hadn't really hammered through the gears or anything yet, but so far so good!

laruei

Established Member
Shit this is exactly my experience.. I hate to say the god clutch isnt perfect yet but i dont have 1000 street miles on mine either.. I do have around 400 and its still chattering pretty good sometimes..

I have had it to willow for a whole day and at the drag here recently and experienced no holding issues though! :D

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Quick updated

Probably have 750 miles on it so far...

The chatter /shutter is getting better. i've almost learned to drive "around" it. With the right RPMS on engagement it doesn't chatter at all..

stradt03

Established Member
thanks for the write up. My pilot bearing took a crap and scored my 26 spline shaft pretty heavily. I'll be referencing this when I swap it out! Thanks again.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Excellent write-up!!

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community.

Jared

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Great thread and is typical of how you make threads like this:rockon: but didn't you buy this a long time ago lol?

And thanks for your business QuicktimeGT (Neil) be sure and check out lm.net for the up and coming spring track rental. Be great to see you come out.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Great thread and is typical of how you make threads like this:rockon: but didn't you buy this a long time ago lol?

And thanks for your business QuicktimeGT (Neil) be sure and check out lm.net for the up and coming spring track rental. Be great to see you come out.

LOL 750 miles since roughly NMRA Bowling Green 2011? I promise to drive it more this year

Users who are viewing this thread