Help Me Diagnose This Sound!!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
***UPDATED 8JAN09***

Hello Forum Friend.
Let me give you some background. The Navy was going to ship me from Washington to Georgia. Well everyone else is broke and so is the Navy so they decided to have me stay put, but that decision wasnt made until I shipped my 2003 Cobra to Georgia. SO Sept 12th it was shipped to Charleston SC where it stayed for 4 months and was shipped back to Washington. I just picked it up today and this is what is sounds like under the car. This was taken with the camera on the garage floor. The car was cold. Oil line is right on the money. Temperature here is about 20 degrees and there is about 750 miles on my oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 with mobil 1 filter. I chatted with Jon lund and he isnt sure based on my description. He says exhaust leak to spun bearing. Car has 30k on the clock and Ported blower with 2.93 upper 4lb lower. I have never hit redline with the car. Noise cannot be heard from the top of the car, maybe because of blower whine. Let me know what you guys think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhv3_ZOA_74]YouTube - 03 Cobra Noise[/ame]

Alex

Last edited:

REDFIRE03SVT

Established Member
why would there be 3 miles on it if all they did was load and unload the car?? Maybe they took it for a short but hard cruise around the block? Doesnt sound good tho man.. sounds more like a tapping noise than an exhaust leak to me

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
did you ask them how it got an extra 3 miles put on it?? Sounds fishy, and without proof that they drove it, it sounds like you could be sol.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
I had a similiar noise in mine. Turned out to be the lower pulley bolts. Try to isolate the noise or take the S/C belt off and check the lower pulley bolts. I took mine out and reapplied red threadlock...no more noise. Hope this helps!

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
You should take a vid. of the whole car w/ the engine on and take pics of the car and the mileage it has before you sent it off... That way, you have some kind of speculation that it was not properly taken care of and proves that the second party did drive off the car. It does not take 3 miles to transfer a vehicle to another truck. Did they mark the mileage of the car when the picked it up (like what they do at rent-a-car places)?? I hope it's an exhaust leak instead of the engine tick. Good luck...

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I can not watch youtube on the computer I am at. These engines can make ticking sounds when they are cold/first started. It known as piston slap. Does the noise go away when the car is nice and warm?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
***Update***
I changed the oil with Mobil one fully synthetic 5w30 and I started it up and it was ticking on startup but once the car got warm.. it went away.. It has just never done it before that i know of. Also it is 23 degrees here. Would it be bad on the engine for the car to just sit for 4 months without starting it?

Alex

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Adding to the above post, You can still kinda hear it but you really have to know what you are listening for and you gotta lay down and get your head in the fender well....

Any ideas?

pissstain

Banned
My 2003 Cobra makes the EXACT same sound. It tends to quiet down considerably as the engine warms, though there is still a faint tick. Car has the revised heads, yet the sound is still as audible as before. The previous owner of the vehicle installed a 4lb lower, along with a 2.76 upper.

I am going to have a 2.2 KB installed the first week of January, and when i do, i'm going to be replacing the 4lb lower back to the stock crank. (i saw where a member had the same issue and realized it was the lower pulley bolts)I'll let you know the result after install.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I have a friend who recently gave me a call to look at his cobra, making basically the same sound as yours. I was clueless, I know it wasnt the tick because it was no loud, and went away as the rpms got to around 1200. So if the pulley bolts are the culprit, a quick start with no s/c belt will tell us? worth a shot

Users who are viewing this thread