Intercooler pump cleaning how-to

machstang23

Established Member
ok, I decided to do a write-up on this since my pump was going out and I found general comments on how to do it but no actual "how-to" with a step by step and pictures. so here goes: this is a pretty straight forward job, and can be done in about an hour with basic hand tools in your driveway.

Step 1: jack up the front passenger side of your car. The intercooler pump is located underneath the bumper behind the fog light, attached to the frame rail with a bracket.
DSC_0693.jpg

here are a couple pics of the pumps location. You can actually access it pretty easily without removing the wheel well, but of course you would have easier access if you did... I didn't and it wasn't a problem at all.
DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

Once you locate the pump I removed the bolt that was clamping the pump bracket tight using a 10mm socket and a long extension. removing the bolt does not remove the bracket but allows you to slide the pump out once the hoses and electrical connection are removed.

to remove the electrical connector (it is located on the back side of the pump closest to the fog-light) just grab it from the sides squeeze and pull away from the pump.

Once the connector is removed it's time to remove the coolant hoses. What I did to catch the coolant was just use an empty 1 gallon jug and taped a funnel to it. I first removed the side hose, and a little fluid came out. I then slide the pump out of it's bracket keeping the top hose connected (I did this because this hose goes right to the resivour (sp)) and once you remove it a lot of fluid is going to come out. just let it all drain out.

now you should have the pump out and need to remove the 6 screws holding the top on:
DSC_0697.jpg

once the screws are removed, remove the top and lightly tap it on the ground at an angle, you will see a bunch of black dust come out.
DSC_0700.jpg

do this, rotate it a little and do it again. I kept doing this until the black dust seemed to stop coming out. there was a pretty big pile of dust... then I got out the air hose and blew compressed air into the pump... a lot more dust came out.

once you get all the dust out reinstall the top make sure the orange O-ring is still in its groove, then make sure all the screws are tight.

reinstall the pump, reconnect the hoses, plug the electrical connector back in, and reinstall the bolt and tighten to secure the pump in place.

to make sure the pump was working properly and to aide in filling the system back up I made a jumper wire to run power to the pump while I was filling the system. To do this, remove the fuse cover located on the passenger side of the engine bay right next to the intake tube. remove the black square fuse, and put the jumper wire into the slot closest to the passenger fender and the on farthest from it.
DSC_0701.jpg

you should now hear the pump turn on and you can begin slowly refilling the system from the resivour... do this slowly so you can allow air to escape and prime the pump.

once the system s full you should see the coolant moving around a lot in the resivour... fill to the fill line, and reinstall the cap.

you done, congrats and your intake air temps thank you! hope this helps those out there who's pump has either stopped working or is only working somtimes (or after you hit it a few times).

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great write-up, very simple job once you do it! Took me 30 minutes to replace mine

machstang23

Established Member
Whats all the black dust from?

inside the motor are carbon brushes that basically transfer the electricity to the motor to make it rotate. over time these brushes wear, and that is black dust that you see (carbon dust from the brushes)... this is also why these motors eventually fail because these carbon brushes wear beyond the point of making contact with armature.

... I did not include this in this "how-to" but sometimes cleaning them out will only get you so far... (the brushes in my pump were worn pretty bad) So I have ordered new brushes and in a few days I'll put together another "how-to" on changing out the brushes on your dead motor and restoring it to "new."

greengt88

Established Member
New pumps are like $100 I think. So this seems like a good thing to do, or atleast to check if u have some miles. How much did the new brushes cost you?

Spoolx

Established Member
nice writeup, my pump isnt working.. I ordered a new one but gonna try this just to see

machstang23

Established Member
nice writeup, my pump isnt working.. I ordered a new one but gonna try this just to see

yeah, it really wasn't that hard to to, but if you do this and it doesn't work (or doesn't work that well) in the How-to section I posted a link to a great write-up on how to actually rebuild the motor... I did that to mine as well and the pump is good as new.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Thanks for bumping this Jimmy,

This helps out with a few questions I had and going to make my life much easier next month.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I was probably one of the first, if they THE first to do this (http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ell-my-intercooler-pump-quit-but-i-fixed.html) Sadly, it's pretty much just a temporary fix. I got another 8 months out of it before it quit again. I just replaced the pump. It's $80, so not too bad. Use it as a temp fix when your new pump is on order.....

Just an observation. I never had an issue again before I sold the car.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I used this write up about 2 months ago, when my IC pump quit on me.

I was also shocked at how much crap came out of my pump! It has been working fine ever since, and moves the fluid in the IC tank around now, much better than it ever has before.

Although, as mentioned above...Im sure it IS just a temp fix.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I know I'm bumping a thread that has been dormant for over a year - but the instructions on this thread really helped me out today.

I installed the Aeroforce gauges on my car about 3 weeks ago. Last week I noticed that my Charge temps were way higher than they had been previously. When I got home I opened the hood and noticed that the coolant in the overflow pump was not swirling around as it should be.

Based on everything I read - I did replace the pump instead of cleaning it out. At Jimmy's suggestion in other threads - I did use a 50/50 mix of coolant and bottled drinking water as well.

This morning I had everything installed and ready to go - but I somehow introduced air into the lines (even though I added the coolant in very slowly as suggested). I jumped the pump, and could hear it running, but I did not see the coolant being pumped through.

I ended up disconnecting the tank line and draining the coolant a second time. This time I jacked up the driver side of the car, and then slowly added the coolant back in. Filled the overflow tank up and jumped the pump. This time the coolant was flowing. I topped off the overflow tank again and jumped the pump, and that was all it took to get the coolant flowing.

Thanks machstang23 for the great write up and pictures. It helped me out a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread