Custom Exhaust Work. Adding M55 mufflers to 2.5" piping

Jroc

Established Member
I have a Magnaflow CB on my car right now, and I just bought some Ford Racing M55 mufflers. I would like to make it where I can swap between muffles depending on what exhaust note I'm in the mood for. I do like the way the magnaflow muffles sound, but sometimes I wish they were louder, and M55's are defanently that.

Basically I don't want to cut on my Magnaflow CB at all, and just make the M55 muffles to fit its piping.

I'm pretty sure that the M55's were 3" CB's so I guess it would still sound good making them fit the 2.5" Magnaflow piping?

What do y'all think? I would rather not have to have a full custom exhaust made right now. Any opinions would be appretiated.

Here are the mufflers. I'm going to do a little welding and cleaning up on the one, even though I don't think its leaking.
2ykz9yv.jpg

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
i wouldnt change those out if i had them lol...the m55's are sick. and i thought theyre 2.5"? someone correct me if im wrong. but if they are 3" inlet/outlet, then just weld some reducers onto the m55's and clamp them into the catback. the magnaflow mufflers are about the same size as the m55's so you shouldnt have a problem getting them on once the magnaflows are out. as long as the m55's are about the same length as the magnaflows with the reducers on you should be good.

moonltgold

Go to Autozone or similar and get some 3" to 2.5" reducers to weld on. Make sure the total length is the same as the other muffler set ups for our cars, 18 3/8" is the total length I think.

Jroc

Established Member
Good deal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was going to have a muffler shop install them, but you're right welding some reducers on shouldn't be too hard to do.

Jroc

Established Member
Ok I got under the car and took some measurements. These #'s are just for the canisters.

M55 mufflers

Length - 14"

Width - 9 3/4"

Thickiness - 5 3/8

Magnaflow mufflers

Length - 14"

Width - 9"

Thickiness - 4"

At first I was worried that the M55's might hit the SFC's, but they should clear.

Also I can see why these things would scrape. Being an extra 1.375" thick they will probably hang an extra .6875 lower than the Magnaflow mufflers as the holes throw the mufflers look to be on center with both of them.

BTW whats the best way to get the tailpipes off the hangers? I would like to polish them at the same time I add my new mufflers.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I had a set of M55s at one time. I think they were 2.5 in and 3" out, oddly enough. If any body has a set of m55 tailpipes for sale let me know. I don't need the muffs just the pipes.

Jroc

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread