Throw out bearing destruction photos

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
After 20+ K miles...

Before I was just about to install it, I noticed that it had a slight wobble, but since I was doing the clutch after midnight and I needed my daily driver ready the next morning, there was not recourse and I had to install the damn thing as it was (POS stock/FRPP TOB) :fm: FEw months later, the damn thing started to chirp, I would then occasionally reach in with a long flat-head screwdriver and grease the damn thing and it would stop chirping for 3-6 months etc...and I was able to prolong the destruction for 3 years.

Finally a few weeks ago, the chirping got pretty bad but I postponed the job until 2 days ago mainly since I knew that my clutch still had lots of life in it, but the main objective was to tend to the TOB. I then installed a new 03-04 clutch and a Timken TOB to replace the garbage OEM ones.

First, the new parts to go in (top left, you can see what the OEM/stock ones look like) Valvoline's DEXRON/MERCON III:
242246.jpg

The old TOB that was making all the noise and as you can see, it split in two pieces:
242247.jpg

Close-up:
242248.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra925

MAXIMAL SVT POSTER
Established Member
Ya my TOB has been makin some noise latly. I don't really wanna change it now. I put a new clutch and tranny in it about 7,000 miles ago.

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
My old GT had one that was squeaking like a bitch. After a few powershifts it would quiet down for a couple of weeks.!

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
JB Weld FTW

but damn thats one messed up TOB. Keep that sucker around for shits and giggles

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I had one come completely apart on me and had almost nothing ridding on the clutch P/P. I limped it home and swapped the clutch the next day.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Nice! I had the same thing happen to me... damn thing just exploded and ball bearings went everywhere

Man that TOB is wreaked. I bet mine is about to split as well considering the awful noises its making. Thankfully I'm putting in a new clutch tomorrow and a Timken TOB as well.

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
Nice! I had the same thing happen to me... damn thing just exploded and ball bearings went everywhere

What made it more fun was sweeping up the clutch like a year later. At least it held together enough to let me put the M3 in his place. His girl was laughing at him the whole time. IRS will stay in my car for that reason also, coming from roughly 10 cars back to his rear bumper in a corner impressed me. So what's the cost of a clutch when destroying someones pride in their overpriced import:shrug:. It still made me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread