T45 Transmission Fluid

Predatorbird

Established Member
I've been searching this topic and my head is spinning. Everyone has something different to recommend and no one will agree on one type of fluid. What do I put in my t45? Synchromesh, ATF, synthetic/non synthethic? Many of these brands have multiple fluids so please list exactly what I ned to buy.

cobra916

Established Member
What type of lube is recommended for my TREMEC transmission?
The following types of lube are recommended:
TR-3550/TKO - GM Synchromesh or Dexron III
TR-3650/T-45/T-5 - Dexron III
T-56 (Ford and GM) - Dexron III
T-56 (Viper only) - Castrol Syntorque

TTC: Frequently Asked Questions

fastback brian

Established Member
for one the t-45 is not tremmec, and technically the t-56 is not either, sorta...
both were designed to run regular red atf.. if the trans is in good shape then any quality atf will work, synthetic is not needed, will it help? dont know, not for a shift improvement but maybe for longer life.... either way drain and fill the trans atleast every 60k miles..

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Borg Warner made the 96-98 T45's
Tremec bought out BW and continued to build them.

The 99-01 T45's are Tremec

img4897small.jpg

In response to the OP, use Mercon Dexron III

Predatorbird

Established Member
The only Dex III/Merc fluid I can find in stock at the local stores are Castrol and Mobil 1. I'm trying to find Valvoline, but no one has it. Is Castrol a good substitute for Valvoline or would I be better off with the Mobil 1 synthetic?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Borg Warner made the 96-98 T45's
Tremec bought out BW and continued to build them.

The 99-01 T45's are Tremec

img4897small.jpg

In response to the OP, use Mercon Dexron III

Is that welding on the BH? Looks like a clutch came apart and cracked it if I had to guess.

But as stated above Dextron III ATF.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The only Dex III/Merc fluid I can find in stock at the local stores are Castrol and Mobil 1. I'm trying to find Valvoline, but no one has it. Is Castrol a good substitute for Valvoline or would I be better off with the Mobil 1 synthetic?

I thought advance stocked Valvoline?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you want OK shifting, use any DEX III or Mercon V fluid you can find at any auto parts store.

If you want butter smooth shifting, choose nothing other than

Amsoil Synthetic ATF

or

Red Line D4 ATF

I used Red Line in a "GM" Tremec T56 with excellent results, Amsoil in everything else. It's in my 2009 GT500 and 2008 GT. You couldn't pay me to use anything else in my cars. Trust me, the "fake synthetic" ATF you find from the other major brands doesn't even come close. They use inferior base stocks and additives in their formulations.

Last edited:

Established Member
Is that welding on the BH? Looks like a clutch came apart and cracked it if I had to guess.

But as stated above Dextron III ATF.

Yep, clutch took a shit on me at the track and that was the result :(

It required different welding equipment than a muffler shop normally has on hand, so I had to take it to a specialty welding shop.

15 min later, along with that small weld job, plus $80 bucks lighter, I walked out with a sore arse.

:bored:

Established Member
If you want OK shifting, use any DEX III or Mercon V fluid you can find at any auto parts store.

If you want butter smooth shifting, choose nothing other than

Amsoil Synthetic ATF

or

Red Line D4 ATF

I used Red Line in a "GM" Tremec T56 with excellent results, Amsoil in everything else. It's in my 2009 GT500 and 2008 GT. You couldn't pay me to use anything else in my cars. Trust me, the "fake synthetic" ATF you find from the other major brands doesn't even come close. They use inferior base stocks and additives in their formulations.

Both those are gonna fubar his synchros.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Yep, clutch took a shit on me at the track and that was the result :(

It required different welding equipment than a muffler shop normally has on hand, so I had to take it to a specialty welding shop.

15 min later, along with that small weld job, plus $80 bucks lighter, I walked out with a sore arse.

:bored:

Damn that sucks. How bad was the explosion? It didn't go through the floorboard did it? I haven't found anyone that blew a T45 that bad that it went through the floor.

Established Member
Damn that sucks. How bad was the explosion? It didn't go through the floorboard did it? I haven't found anyone that blew a T45 that bad that it went through the floor.

Nah, but I did hear it hit the floorboard. Loud bang that scared the shit out of me. There track was littered with fragments.

I think a scattershield is an excellent idea for those who frequent the track and are pushing lots of HP.

What was left:

img4863small.jpg

img4881small.jpg

img4848small.jpg

Predatorbird

Established Member
I tracked down some Valvoline Dex III/Merc and changed it yesterday. It made a huge difference and I actually enjoy driving my car again with my Pro 5.0/MGW handle combo.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm almost certain they're carbon based, but if anyone knows better, please chime in.

back in the day when I had a 1999 Trans Am with a T56 tremec, it was known to have cellulose "paper" blocker rings. Everyone said to NOT use true synthetic ATF in the T56 because it would make the paper based blockers fail, and the synchos wouldn't allow the transmission to shift correctly.

I used Red Line D4 ATF anyway, and had 100,000+ miles of trouble free use. In fast, it shifted so well...all my friends changed as well. They never had any troubles either.

Don't buy into the rumor mill, pour in a good true synthetic, and rock on with it.

Users who are viewing this thread