Carbon Fiber W/S Cowl Install - Pics

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Well I attacked this today, only cause I was bored, and after not having seen many install pics on here, I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be the greatest.

After rfighting the windshield wiper fittings a bit (had to warm them up to get them off) removal of my old cowl (which is in PERFECT condition) was complete.

Upon comparing the 2 side by side as you see here:

I realized the NEW cowl is lacking MOST of the fastening hardware that is on the OEM one. Not pleased. The (6) push clips which secure the OEM one are nowhere to be found. And the bumper bushings aren't swappable either. :bash:

After removing the seals, and realizing I couldn't REALLY re-doublesided sticky tape them, I called FORD. Sure enough they would sell me new ones. Along with a whole new cowl for 154.02. Cool. :uh oh:

So we get some super-glue, and begin to attach the old seals to the new Cowl. It went VERY WELL. Looks factory in fact........

And the Hood hinge seals just 'pop' in.

OK, back to putting it in. It fits very nice, with loosening both 8mm bolts inside the doors to loosen the A/B pillars for added 'moveability'.

It LOOKS NICE, however........ Without those (6) pushclips the top side of the Cowl wants to 'pop' up. :poke:

It just wont lay down flush. After mushing 'warming' to possibly get it to mold better, we gave up. Perhaps a few HOT summer days will help.

As you can see here the middle of the windshield's rubber seal is wanting to fold over::

Here are some (FOR NOW) completed pics....

IN this one you can clearly see on the Drivers side how the seal lays down nicely, then curls under the rest of the way cause of the missing pushclips.

Overall I am soso about the product. It is a VERY NICE PIECE OF CARBON FIBER, and aesthetically matches the OEM one flawlessy. However, I believe a little more time was needed in establishing a better way to fasten this piece down.

I am fairly anal about things like this and any help is appreciated. :beer:

Overall I give the product a 6.5/10.

:pop:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Just be happy you don't have cracks in your coating :nonono:

IMG_0190.jpg

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I wonder how it is at speed. The cowl experiences a high pressure area (stagnant) and I'm wondering if it will lift at speed now that the retaining clips are gone.

This is my worry. I won't be driving the car until spring, so maybe between now and then some of the mechanical geniuses will have come up with an option I haven't thought of. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread