A look at different brake calipers from '03-13

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I had a lot of my brake calipers apart awhile ago and took some pictures that I wanted to share with everyone. Take a look at some of the similarities and differences between the different calipers.

First lets start out with some '03-04 Stock Cobra calipers. These are similar to the current GT calipers w/ 2 piston on one side of the caliper. These calipers are used with a 13" rotor.

fz39.jpg

ymvu.jpg

q0ge.jpg

Next up are the '07-12 GT500 and current "Brembo" packaged GT calipers. These are a Brembo 4 piston design. The calipers are machined in two halves by Brembo then bolted together with four large 12 point bolts. The brake fluid is transferred from one side of the caliper to the other by an external hard brake line, seen in the picture below. These calipers are used with a 14" rotor.

v5zg.jpg

8hcz.jpg

Here's a picture of two of the pistons from the 4P Brembos

rlj9.jpg

These calipers, along with the '03-04 designs and the '13-14GT500 calipers I'm about to show you, use a piston seal and a dust boot. Some aftermarket designs use a scraper ring opposed to a dust boot. More on this later.

Up next are the massive new 6 piston calipers from Brembo, found on the current '13-14 GT500's. These calipers work with a huge 15" rotor! These calipers are really nice. Instead of being a two piece design that is bolted together, Brembo stepped it up with these one piece calipers that were cast in Italy.

This new one piece design eliminates the four huge steel bolts found on the earlier 4piston calipers, which significantly reduces weight, despite the extra 2 pistons.

0qqt.jpg

gkmn.jpg

q0dx.jpg

Here you see the blue 6P calipers and the red 4P calipers.
h3bw.jpg

iyup.jpg

Someone smarter than me may know why, but they changed the piston design too.

i1bl.jpg

Now we're on to some aftermarket BAER 6P calipers for an '04 Customer of mine. These are also a one piece design similar to the 6P Brembos, but they do have an external brake line to transfer fluid from one side of the caliper to the other like the earlier 4P Brembo brake calipers.

bkmi.jpg

eej6.jpg

Like mentioned earlier, these calipers have a scraper ring instead of the factory equipped calipers that have dust boots. Again, someone smarter than myself can probably explain why. I just have the pics. lol

Take another look at these factory 6P Brembo calipers. You'll see inside the piston bore is a recess for the piston seal ring. Then another recess on the outside of the piston bore for the dust boot to seal into.
56rd.jpg

These BAER calipers on the other hand have two recesses cut into the piston bore. The inner most one is the piston seal and the outer one is for another seal that has two ridges on it, that is called the scraper ring.

89oe.jpg

Here's a picture of the Baer pistons. Similar in design to the 4P brembo pistons.

z1qg.jpg

Here's a pic of the Baer (bottom) and Brembo (Top) pistons together.

yhta.jpg

The whole sha-bang!

2tmf.jpg

nsut.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Brian

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Thanks! Let me know if I can help. I stock a powder matched to your comp orange color. I'm $200 to disassemble, powder (with powdered clear coat), and re-assemble with all new seals your '03-04 calipers.

I also own extra sets of all of these calipers besides the BAER ones, that I offer as core exchanges so you don't have any down time. I stock all of the rear calipers and mounting brackets too.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
What's your cost to powdercoat the 4-piston Brembos and stock rear calipers? I dislike the flat grey on my Boss, and would like a more durable grey powercoat.

Stock '03-04 Cobra calipers = $200 (you pick caliper and COBRA letter color)

4 Piston Brembo calipers = $245 (you pick caliper can BREMBO letter color)

6 Piston Brembo calipers = $265 (same. you pick both colors)

Rear '03-04 and rear GT500 calipers and mounting brackets are both $150 for the pair. Disassembly, coating, and rebuild.

So if you wanted to do all of your calipers you'd be in for $395 for the coating work. (take $100 off of that total if you disassemble and rebuild yourself)

I also stock extras of these brakes to offer as core exchanges so you don't have down time. These prices are fully refundable when I get your stock calipers back. Core charges are as follows:

Cobra fronts/brackets = $300
Cobra rears/brackets = $200
4P Brembo fronts = $550
6P Brembo fronts = $750
S197 rear calipers/brackets = $250

The core charges suck paying initially, but it makes the swap a lot easier when you can swap the calipers right out instead of having them off of the car for a few weeks. Since the core charges are completely refundable, if you can swing it, it's a no brainer.

Here's a gunmetal set that I did.
dsc8960.jpg

Zinc yellow
dsc8952d.jpg

Gotta have it green
img4461l.jpg

Candy copper
dsc8182n.jpg

Torch red w/ snake skin hydro dipped
dsc9220e.jpg

These are for sale. Brand new never installed. PM me if anyone has interest.

Let me know if I can help.

-Brian

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That candy copper is sweet!

Can those little Cobra calipers be fitted to the rear of the S197 without re-engineering the mounting brackets and hoses?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Very cool pics man. I'm assuming you powdercoat just about any car part? I'm looking to get some stuff done

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Nice pics, all those calipers look way better than mine do lol. Someday I'll get some brembos...

Users who are viewing this thread