My 2010 Is Back Up And Running

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Well after talking to a bunch of different shops both locally and abroad i decided to get the FRPP Iron 5.4 Short Block with the upgraded H Beam Rods/ARP 2000 Rod Bolts....got a fantastic deal at $2850 with free shipping so couldnt resist...local performance shop that ive dealt with for years and former Pro 5.0 Racer from "back in the day" Paul Silva of Scarborough Ontario did all the work pulling it apart and putting it all back together....He Ported my heads and picked up peak 40cfm to flow exactly 300 which i thought was fantastic...he ported the lower a bit aswell, we went with manley Srpings and Titanium Retainers to support the Crower Stage 2 Street Cams....(imo they are quite mild, not much rumpity rump but hey what do i know i just wanna go fast....) on the stock short the car laid down 758rwhp and 670 rwtq at 19.5psi....this out of a 4.0 Whipple conservative tune, only 14 degrees timing and A/F was always between 10.7-10.9 mid range to wot.....always knew we were holding back the horse from fully stretching her legs but it still bent 7/8 rods and cracked the block in cylinder #3.....so making the trek to Alternative Auto in Michigan to see Lidio to get the car all dialed in for the new setup....id like to see 800rwhp and 700rwtq, pretty sure some of the 19.5lbs of boost is gonna get swallowed up with the better breathing engine so perhaps lose a few lbs and still make more jam....my goal is to run 9.99 next season with full weight,full interior on slicks...not sure if its gonna do it or not but its gone 10.47 and 140mph on the stock short with the whipple on it (10.27 day it broke but couldnt back it up) .....just thought id share the good news and post a couple pics from this past season...really anxious to see what it lays down after a retune and hopefully this time the H Beams will hang around longer then the I Beams did....lol

275/40/17 M/T DR's on 17x8 99 GT Rims..walkin the car out 137mph( oh and im powershifting...thats the WOTBOX set at 350ms so it sounds like im quick/granny shifting except 4th...lol)
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2pV2ewi7xk&feature=related"]Shelby GT500 10.89 @ 137.93 - YouTube[/nomedia]

10.82 @ 139 same day....
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GvVSfFPSOg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Shelby GT500 10.82 Pass Oct 1 - YouTube[/nomedia]

3b751209.jpg

d78465f0.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00966.jpg

myredshelbyrolling-1.jpg

Last edited:

20-COBRA-03

Banned
hey man, what a gorgeous car! if you don't mind me asking, where did you come across that deal for the motor?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I am betting it was either Toulsey or buyfordracing.com ;)
I believe they are within $50 of eachother.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Got any photos of the bent factory rods? I'm interested to see where they yielded.

Also, did your FRPP shortblock come with any documentation? I'm wondering if they mention anything about how much the assembly can handle.

TIA,

Tob

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
I am betting it was either Toulsey or buyfordracing.com ;)
I believe they are within $50 of eachother.
Tousley was a good deal aswell dealt with them for a few things in the past but they were 3150 i have the linknsaved in my favourites at home might have been buyfordracing but not 100% ...it was a ford racing distributer for sure...

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
re

Got any photos of the bent factory rods? I'm interested to see where they yielded.

Also, did your FRPP shortblock come with any documentation? I'm wondering if they mention anything about how much the assembly can handle.

TIA,

Tob
here are a few of the rods
48025606.jpg

95c08406.jpg

c935c79c.jpg

from what i know through some research Ford uses Manley Rods rated at 700hp with stock rod bolts and 1250 with arp 2000 other then that the engine is identical to what comes in a factory 2010 gt500.....when my motor was stripped down the head bolts head gaskets were all good and show no signs of damage....i think the stress of the bent rod is the only reason the block had a hair line crack in cylinder 3.....but ill find out 100% next season what it can handle one way or another....lol

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting to see the way they bent. Thanks for posting the photos.

Did your FRPP shortblock come in a plastic or a wooden crate? And were any exposed machines surfaces covered in cosmoline?

bull3441

Established Member
The FRPP block also has Mahle forged pistons, not same ad stock 2010 pistons.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Are you planning on spinning the 4.0L more? You can make the numbers you're looking for with a 2.9L no?

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
i made the 758rwhp on 93 octane...the frpp shortblock has arp2000 rod bolts...my 4.0l setup was detuned...most run alot more timing and leaner a/f ratios from what i gather...itll be up to lidio as to how aggressive he is comfortable with to ensure longevity and street driveability...

Users who are viewing this thread