Shifting question. Need help, PLEASE!!

Spade

Established Member
Here's my problem. I went to the track tonight and ran four times. Two of the four runs I missed gears and when I did get a good run my shifts were trackor-trailer like. The first time it was fourth, how I dont know, and the last run I missed second. Third I could see but second and fourth :shrug:.

One of the guys asked me to take his '01 GT down the track. You would think I owned the car the why I was shifting. I ran the car .2 faster than the owner with the same 60' times. I thought it was just the 6-speed I couldn't shift, but get me in an STi, GTO, Audi, or Vette and I can hold me own. I'm no BROKE7, but I feel I'm pretty good. I'm getting madder then hell that I can not get this. I practiced and practiced and I keep falling short. I tried power shift and that was a huge :nono: .

Would differnet fluid help? I have the MGW orange handle. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Spade

Last edited:

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
A orange handle MGW should take care of all your problems. I haven't missed a gear yet w/my MGW.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
He has an MGW.

What exactly do you mean when you say you missed a shift? Did you end up in the wrong gear? If so, it sounds like you might be pulling it at an angle or something. :shrug: ...or do you mean it just wouldn't go into gear? The only problem I had after swapping to the MGW was conditioning myself to not overtry for 3rd at higher rpm's like I had to do with the stocker.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Clutch may need adjusting. It makes a HUGE difference with the T-56. I mean an inch difference up can make all the difference. I run mine adjusted towrds the top and it shifts like butter. I never lift to shift. I also run Royal Purple in it.

Believe it or not but 4th is hard to hit. Its a long throw and its in the middle betwen 1st and 6th. I hold my elbow parallel with the seat and rip it straight back towards the center console. It works perfect. Try it out. Im no race car driver either but i consider myself pretty damn good. I have people wanting me to drive their stuff to get good times.

Spade

Established Member
GRIMREEFER, It's not going into gear.

It seems the harder I try to shift the hard it shifts. Does the aftermarket fluids make that much of a differance? Thanks for your replies.

Spade

JMD0346

Established Member
Thats just clutch adjustment. Where does your clutch release? I bet close to the floor. You need it more towards the top. That way you only have to push the clutch a little for it to release. Its a must for power shifting.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Gotta go with the clutch adjustment too. I was really surprised at how much more fluid the shifter felt after I did this.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would also recommend a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. Fiore, Steeda or UPR. Makes a big difference. That and a clutch adjustment. FWIW, I had the same issues you had. But I sold the car before I ever did the above.

mtl-biker

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Clutch may need adjusting. It makes a HUGE difference with the T-56. I mean an inch difference up can make all the difference. I run mine adjusted towrds the top and it shifts like butter. I never lift to shift. I also run Royal Purple in it.

Believe it or not but 4th is hard to hit. Its a long throw and its in the middle betwen 1st and 6th. I hold my elbow parallel with the seat and rip it straight back towards the center console. It works perfect. Try it out. Im no race car driver either but i consider myself pretty damn good. I have people wanting me to drive their stuff to get good times.

+1
Mario

Spade

Established Member
Thanks guy for the input. I didnt drive the car since I put this up but thinking about it it does feel like the clutch is out of adjustment.

How long does it take to adjust?

Thanks again.

Spade

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Thats just clutch adjustment. Where does your clutch release? I bet close to the floor. You need it more towards the top. That way you only have to push the clutch a little for it to release. Its a must for power shifting.

Huh= my clutch engages near the floor. How do I move it up towards the top?

Also I have never missed 4th gear but it is my slowest shift by a mile.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
The quick adjustment is just to pull the pedal up and then put it to the floor for a few seconds. Mine lifted about an inch.

see post #5 above.

Last edited:

Spade

Established Member
Well, I did the adjustment and she work ALOT better. I'm in powershifting heaven!!!! Thanks guys!!

Spade

03yellow

Established Member
There was no way to powershift my Cobra; I tried every way I knew.
Finally, I replaced the clutch and TOB, now its a piece of cake to power shift.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I have had trouble hitting 3rd the entire time ive owned this car. I read the clutch adjustment how-to and moved it one click and solved the whole problem. I can hit 3rd like a mutha now! I will have to re learn the clutch when driving normally but that should only take a day or two. Thanks a bunch, it shifts better than it ever has! :thumbsup: :beer:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
I would reiterate what cobrabob said about the quadrant and firewall adjuster if you really want it to shift great without having to constantly go through the procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread