Stock Flywheel can be rebuilt ~$85

lucheski

Established Member
I called Mcleod Clutch and spoke to a guy named 'Lee" he said they can rebuild the stock flywheel for $85 plus shipping and that the turn around time is about 1 day. He referred to it as replacing the "heat sheild" which I am assuming is the steel insert on the stock flywheel. He said the reason they can do it is that Mccleod supplies the stock flywheel for the Cobra.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
That is the best customer service clutch company in the world. Period. I can't tell you how much help they gave me with my race car. They worked their asses off coming up with the perfect combinations for my car. There are a ton of good clutches out there...but only one McCleod.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
03-04 Cobra Aluminum Flywheel Inserts?

I got an 03-04 cobra aluminum flywheel, i was wondering if they made any inserts for these flywheels or would i just have to buy a new one.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Ive been told the insert is riveted in there... not screwed in like a spec or fidanza flywheel...

You can drill out rivets

See post #5 in the thread that I linked
I assume the extra $15 is for nuts & bolts...

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
You can drill out rivets

See post #5 in the thread that I linked
I assume the extra $15 is for nuts & bolts...

unless you already have a set of nuts and bolts ;-)
I bought a friction disc for my 98 and it came with new nuts and bolts
Good to know this. Im glad I didn't throw away my stocker. Its toasted.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
this is great news since I am doing a new clutch and fw with my new build...

im going to call them tomorrow and get some info on it..

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Ok guys i called Mcleod Racing, and they still do the the flywheel insert service for $125 plus shipping if you are not local. I also asked them if they can use nuts/bolts instead of the rivets; they said they can't do it that way since the flywheel isn't made for nuts/bolts.

eric p

Established Member
When RET did my re-man swap last month, Greg had these in-stock. I forget the price because when I had the motor swapped he did a clutch, flywheel, TOB and all other misc parts. I pretty much just gave him my debit card to play with. :whine:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I'm buying a second flywheel tomorrow....going to send my current one off to be redone. I figured having a new one ready to go couldn't hurt when I put my stroker in at 200k miles (yes, I am going to have my car that long)

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but does mcleod still do this?

I plan to give them a call next week, but I'm trying to get some parts ordered

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I was notified that I should not have bumped this old thread.. I only did so in fear of everyone yelling "use the search button" because this had been brought up before.. .

Either way, I have called Mcleod, and as of 9/6/11 they do still offer the service of replacing inserts (he referred to as "heat shield" on factory cobra flywheels and the cost is now $125.00. They ask that you fill out a returned goods form found here (LINK)

I also asked for input about resurfacing the flywheel, and he quickly stated "we highly recommend to not resurface these flywheels" although did not give a reason why.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I have called Mcleod, and as of 9/6/11 they do still offer the service of replacing inserts (he referred to as "heat shield" on factory cobra flywheels and the cost is now $125.00. They ask that you fill out a returned goods form found here (LINK)

I also asked for input regarding resurfacing the flywheel, and he quickly stated "we highly recommend to not resurface these flywheels" although did not give a reason why.

The guy seemed very knowledgable, and seemed very prepared to quickly answer any question I had. I'll send a few bucks their way in thanks by purchasing an RXT:rockon:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

^the reason you don't resurface the stock flywheel is because of removing material and similar to a rotor that can warp easier when thinner. The other issue I have seen after they have been resurfaced is that the rivets start pulling through on the flywheels and the gear(that the starter engages) begins to rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread