Stock Flywheel can be rebuilt ~$85

halfscale2130

Established Member
Had it done at the beginning of this year. The heat shield is riveted in or looks to be. $125 for McLeod to replace it with a new one. They sent it back to me with the new rxt clutch balanced and assembled ready to go. Great products backed by great service.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Just to update..

I received my flywheel back from mcleod and it turned out great! Looks good as new!

My thinking is, the factory flywheel is a great design (aluminum with steel insert) and originally made by mcleod.. so this is a good alternative to buying an aftermarket.

Total bill was $125+ $25 shipping
c418e5a8.jpg

TRBO VNM

Should look almost as good as new since it is. :D

But yeah, great alternative and I have a couple flywheels laying around. Maybe I will send them in and then can sell them to those who can't wait for the replacement process.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Thanks for updating this thread!! I am right in the middle of a clutch R&R on my 04 cobra. I was deliberating my options. I really don't have the extra cash for a new replacement and was considering three options.

1) just bolt in the new clutch and risk it! Old clutch was working fine with minimal wear after 92k miles. Only reason I am replacing it is because I have the tranny out for a new TOB and sleeve.

2) Resurface at NAPA. I know this is a bit controversial.

3) send it back to McCleod for the new insert. Total cost of ~$175.

Your feedback is making me lean towards option 3. Knowing that they did a good job for you makes me feel better about the cost and hassle!!

It's too bad there is not someone in the southeast that can do this service. You would think it would bake sense for McCleod to tap a reputable machine shop on the east coast (Florida would be great!) that would stock the insert and offer the service.

mark

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
my only complaint is that it still isn't bolt in. Ideally it would be cool if they would just tap the holes in the aluminum then you could replace the insert yourself from then on.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
^the reason you don't resurface the stock flywheel is because of removing material and similar to a rotor that can warp easier when thinner. The other issue I have seen after they have been resurfaced is that the rivets start pulling through on the flywheels and the gear(that the starter engages) begins to rattle.

Hmm I wonder if thats the LOUD rattling I hear? Had my shop listen to it on a hoist and it sounds like it's further forward by the clutch/flywheel area. This will probably beat me to death until I get it worked on in the spring.

TRBO VNM

Hmm I wonder if thats the LOUD rattling I hear? Had my shop listen to it on a hoist and it sounds like it's further forward by the clutch/flywheel area. This will probably beat me to death until I get it worked on in the spring.

easy to tell, pull the inspection cover off and take a long screw driver or prybar and tap the ring gear on the flywheel. if it is loose, you will hear it and it will only get worse.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
easy to tell, pull the inspection cover off and take a long screw driver or prybar and tap the ring gear on the flywheel. if it is loose, you will hear it and it will only get worse.

Thanks for the advice! It's been pretty much collecting dust in the garage right now, not going to drive until it gets fixed. And winters around the corner so it's going to wait until spring.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I just got my stock flywheel back from McLeod. Their turn-around was very fast. Looks like they did a great job. I think they may have even replaced the ring gear rivets as well. It looks new. I know its not because the blue paint line still matches up with my original steel torque plate that goes under the bolts. FWIW

$125 + shipping. Not a bad deal considering other options.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I don't see how shaving a miniscul amount of roughness is gonna sacrifice the strength integrity of this particular flywheel? We have a flywheel surface machine at the shop and you can dial in the depth needed to the thickness of a hair?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Well, Brutal, if I was in Largo or knew someone I trusted to do this I might have gone that route. I spend about 30m on the phone last year looking for someone to resurface a suturn clutch. I did not speak with anyone that I would trust to mow my grass. Admittedly, I was just calling maching shops at random.

I figure I am now out $175 total for a virtually new McLeod Flywheel. Resurfacing would have been at least $40 plus $10 in gas & tolls to drive anywhere in the Orlando area. It really only cost me an incremental $125 to get a little peace of mind. Most of you guys around hear don't even open the hood without dropping $200.

I would like to see some long term results on resurfaced originals just for refrence.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I bought an oem 04 Cobra flywheel off a guy last week for $40 shipped, it's in very nice shape, I'll use it as a re-surface test piece, gonna shave a Very Tiny amount off to clean the caked grease and clutch dust.. And I'm not knocking your decision it was a wise one, is that $175 including the $20-$25 it would cost you to send your flywheel to them?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
is that $175 including the $20-$25 it would cost you to send your flywheel to them?

I think I spent $29 to ship it from Florida to Cali (registered). Their service fee was $125 and I think they charged me ~$22 for return shipping.

Please post your results and findings resurfacing that stock. $40 for a good alum flywheel is a good deal.

What do you normally charge to resurface?
Do you think you will be cutting into the aluminum as well?

I have heard some issues with the ring gear rattling. I am pretty sure they replaced those rivets on mine as well. They all look brand new and shiney. Another poster 'QuicktimeGT' (IIRC) just got one back from McLeod. His pics did not look like the ring gear rivets were replaced. (not as shiney).

stang434w

Established Member
I need to get my flywheel resurfaced or sent into Mcleod to be rebuilt. I would be sending from Texas. Those of yall who have do it what is the turn around time from when you ship it to when it get back home?

I figured if I send it Monday, it will get there Wednesday or Friday (2 day Fed-Ex or Ground). Then not sure how the holiday will affect things. Worst case they start working on it on Monday of the following week, ship it out Tuesday, and I get it Friday. So I would be without a flywheel for 2 weeks.... :(

Wondering what if I just get it resurfaced locally how it will be? I am putting in a new Spec Stage 3+ clutch with 26 spline shaft.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
They turned mine around in < 2 days. Shipping back to Florida took a little longer, but they seemed to be on their game!

stang434w

Established Member
Yeah I called up McLeod and they said it takes 3-5 days to turn it around but that I could pay $100 extra for same day turn around. Then he told me about one of their dealers who could do a core charge. He gave me the number to GTR high performance which I guess is near McLeod and have a few rebuilt flywheels on the shelf. So GTR hipo sent me the flywheel for $125 on the day i called and $250 core charge that will get refunded when they get my old flywheel. This way I don't have to wait 2 to 3 weeks.

So all in all not bad $125 for a practically brand new flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread