A big thumbs down for the new melling oil pump-Big failure!

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
So I have been off of the boards for a little bit but finally got my 98 Cobra back together (forged shortblock install w/ported heads) well, she started up last night and ran great, the oil pressure seemed a little low but I didnt think much of it, I drove it around the block a few times,let it cool down and checked everything. Everything looked (and sounded) great so decided to drive it to a freinds house to get some break in miles on it and have him help me with my new K-member swap, about 5 miles down the highway I hear a lifter noise and it get louder and and louder, I look at the pressure guage and no god damn presure:cuss:

I have my neighbor come and tow me home and being pissed off decided to leave it till the morning, well, just got the timing cover and oil pan off and the billet melling oil pump gears are broken into 4 pieces!! thankfull the rest of the shortblock looks okay, I am gonna take it out and check the rest of it but looks good so far.

This is a warning for those that have these pumps be carefull, In got mine from summit about 2 weeks ago, it could be a bad batch but :shrug:

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Damn!

Doesn't anyone make a completely trustworthy set of billet oil pump gears. I think people have reported failures of EVERY kind being made.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have forwarded this post to my contact at Melling. I am sure they will be all over this as Melling is a very high quality, reputable company. My new engine has this pump, so I am concerned as well. I will report here when I hear back from the folks at Melling.

Tony

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I've had great success with the stock one. Why change something that isn't broke.

Hopefully you get it worked out. I hate issues like that after a big build up.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
WELL HELL!!!! This sucks for my plans! I guess I won't sell my set of billet gears!!

Stupid question. Are you sure that you got the correct pump? Did YOU put your engine together or did you rely on a shop? I'm not trying to point fingers.

97on22s

Established Member
glad i didnt order this aswell...

damn it i wish someone could just build one of these dang things right. building a motor cost to much to do it twice

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
:nonono: I was literally just about to order one from Lethal Performance. Sorry to hear about the issues. I hope it all works out for you.

Maybe it was a bad batch?:shrug:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Have there been issues with the stock ones? Or is this one of those SVTP parts that people replace because the internet said so?

Nazman

Established Member
Mach1Marauder said:
Was the casting number on the part M10227 or M227???
Bump for a Great Question....actually a HUGE Question.

There are two types of those pumps. One with the billet gears and one without.

If he could post the part/casting number that will answer LOTS of questions.

The PM gear pump is 10689 and the billet gears is the 10227.

Naz

2k4mach

Repulic of Tejas
Established Member
Mach1Marauder said:
DON'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS.......YET.
He still has some questions to answer.
yup and the fact that back in april he posted he works for MMR............home of the super strong cyro treated geared oil pumps :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread