Best rear tire for handling and traction...

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
i care more about traction than anything, i want a tire where i can use first gear, but i also want a nice handling tire... any recommendations?

Jroc

Established Member
Nitto 555R's handle ok, and very good for the kind of tire they are. I have heard that the new Toyo R888 tires(which are more of a road race tire) hook up very good in the lower gears, but I have no experiance with them and they are a little pricey.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
M/T street radials are good but the best is imo the Hoosier DR's, hands down are the best DR you can get if you want traction. Now if you want longevity... That's a whole different story.

Josh

Jroc

Established Member
but i don't think the M/T street radials are good for road racing tho right?

I'll tell you like this, I have Falken Azenis 615's on my car right now and they feel more solid in a turn than the 555R's, but there's no way you can apply the power out of a turn with the 615's as you can with the 555R's, they just don't want to break unless you push them really hard. You can defanently feel that the Nitto's have softer sidewalls than the Falkens, but I also had 315's mounted on the factory wheels whereas the Falkens I have are mounted on a 10.5" wide wheel. I like the Falkens but they will not hook like the Nitto 555R's.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
but i don't think the M/T street radials are good for road racing tho right?

I can't comment on road racing but as far as traction they are great.

There are a couple guys on here that just road race who will more than likely chime in, I know ac427cobra and Jimmysidecarr race theirs. Try posting in the open track racing section to get some more replies on road racing.

Josh

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You dont want a track tire when you're just starting out. You want a nice hard street tire that gives lots of audible feedback at the limit.

Agreed.

I would put a set of Falken Azenis 615's on it and run it like that.
Learning throttle modulation and getting really good at it, and being able to recover from an in corner "step out" will serve you well and can be best learned on a non R compound street tire.
The 615s are still grippy compared to a lot of street tires and I think would be an excellent compromise.

The Nitto road racing/open track/autocross versions of the 555R drag radial are the 555RII and the NT01. These are a full blown R compound road race type tire with a light weight carcass.
I do not recommend driving regularly on the street with either one of these, since the carcass is much more fragile than a real street tire like the 615.

You can drive to the track on them and drive from there to get gas or what ever, but with all the crap that happens on the street and debris everywhere I would want a real street tire.

Your mileage may vary.:beer:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
From what I hear the tires that will perform the best on a road course are the stock Eagle F1's, they are the tire that the car was designed to be raced on :shrug:

What do you road race guys think about that?

Josh

dragon40k

Established Member
From what I hear the tires that will perform the best on a road course are the stock Eagle F1's, they are the tire that the car was designed to be raced on :shrug:

Josh

The op wants to use first gear. That is out with the f1's. Along with second alot of the time. The f1's were fine for me the only time i had mine on a road course but I don't know how to drive.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Josh

Ummm NO!

They are the tire the car was designed/tuned to be driven on the streets with.

The are fine for someone who is learning if that's what they already have.
However, if they need to buy tires anyway and they are just begining open track and want better bite on the street.

Then get the 615s.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Hey I am just saying that's what I heard :shrug:

This is according to Iron Fist Lead Foot lol, good book :thumbsup:
Now they are referring to a stock Cobra which we aren't so therefore a different tire would perform better I would assume too.
All I know is my Hossier DR's get me where I need to go and give me the traction I need, going in a straight line of course :-D

Josh

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
thanks for the feedback, will i be able to use first with these...? i want a tire i can pull some decent 60 times in also
Ummm NO!

They are the tire the car was designed/tuned to be driven on the streets with.

The are fine for someone who is learning if that's what they already have.
However, if they need to buy tires anyway and they are just begining open track and want better bite on the street.

Then get the 615s.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
thanks for the feedback, will i be able to use first with these...? i want a tire i can pull some decent 60 times in also

They have a 200 wear rating, drag slicks are about a 30, pullied Terminators spin in first gear on drag slicks. So no they are not going to be God's gift to first gear.

However, they are nice sticky tire, that is NOT a drag radial, and they have a safe, street type tire casing.

The fact that they handle GREAT is icing on the cake.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
What I'm getting at is it a dangerous tire where I wouldn't be able to mess around in the turns with? I'm not going to be tracking the car anytime soon but I still like taking it out in the backroads and having some fun in the turns... I'm just tired of not being able to use first, or second.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
What I'm getting at is it a dangerous tire where I wouldn't be able to mess around in the turns with? I'm not going to be tracking the car anytime soon but I still like taking it out in the backroads and having some fun in the turns... I'm just tired of not being able to use first, or second.

I am making the same amount of power as you. The car spins at 4500 in first, and hooks in second. I have 295/35/18 Kumho MXs in the back. I feather it in first, and floor it when I hid 2nd and it is fine.

Jroc

Established Member

Like I said man, for what your describing a Nitto 555R is the best tire for the rear of your car. I promise you for a street car you will love this tire at your power level. Unless you are gunning it while turning in first or leaving the line really hard they will hook. You can be going 5 MPH in first and hammer the throttle and you will have traction. I have broken traction several times at the 40/50 mph range in third gear with my Falkens, and that in about 60 degree weather. At the same time the Nitto's are respectable in a turn for a street tire, and you can apply a lot of power midcorner in third gear with them. You'll get on the power in a shape turn with the 555R's and the reareand will be leaning like it wants to come around on you, but the tires hold and when you straighten out the wheel the rear will snap itself back into place and you'll be in the meat of you powerband accellerating down the road. I now I push the Nitto's alot when people ask what tire to get, but thats because their the best jack of all traits street tire for our cars. You get traction, good handling, a long enough life span, their ok in rain, and they have a good price. If you want all that their the tire for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread