Even Flow cooling mod ?

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
I have the blower off and just finished most of the install. My question is because there is not alot of room where the fitting is and EGR+Main wiring harness is did you just leave it as pictured??

dsc00514cq6.jpg

Shot with DSC-W30 at 2008-04-05

The EGR tube and wiring are all crammed in tight. I could just see the wiring shorting out.It says in the instructions that rerouting may be needed. Where did you leave the wiring?

sweet88gt

Established Member
Just looking for some experiances that anyone has has with the cooling mod and routing of the wires in relation to the EGR. The main wiring harness across the back of the intake is now touching the EGR pipe. TTT

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i actually routed my wiring harness in front of the cooling mod. my blower is still off, so i did a quick fit check with the manifold....tight but seems to work.......however my way might interfere with the rear of the fuel rail.....

as for your issue, location is good.,.....but i cannot comment on the harness sitting on the egr tube.....since it is thermally insulated, i think it will be ok.....

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
hey man just found this on evenflows website....it looks like they ran the main wiring harness in front of the cooling mod like I did......perhaps just flip your around?

DSfittingandrightangleadapterinstal.jpg

sweet88gt

Established Member
I checked thier web site and must have missed it.:??: Thanks for the help. I still have my blower off too so I will check into the rerouting. Now I am researching the PCV system so I can stop the build up of oil in the intercooler and lower intake. That is a whole other can of worms.

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
Is this the Gen2 Kit from evenflow? I ordered it and am about to install it in the next few weeks. Was wondering how long it took you to take the blower off and install this mod.

Anything i should be aware of before i start?

Fat-cat

Established Member
This mod can be done with the blower on i think just makes things real tight.. takes me about an hour to get the blower off the car.

sweet88gt

Established Member
It can be done with the blower off but I just waited until I did the change. I can see if you move the EGR tube but still a challenge. The main wiring can be moved and with the EGR tube out of the way you can lean over the fender and almost look straight down to the freeze plug. I have some pictures with the blower off.This is the freeze plug in the drivers side head at the rear.
dsc00507ep3.jpg

After tapping out the freeze plug I threaded the barbed fitting into the fitting that would be put into the head.Even after draining the coolant from the radiator I still had coolant come flowing out of the plug. Be prepared with a rag or take a shop vac and suck some coolant out of the overflow can. This was only a thought afterwards and maybe it will work I dont know. The fitting only goes down into the head until you can fit the retaining plate into the groove machined into the press fitting.At that time you may need to trim the corner that is sticking out away from the head.
dsc00510pq6.jpg

This is a picture of the fitting that needs to be removed from the passenger side heater core tube. I drained the coolant from the radiator but still made a mess.It is easier than you think to work this out of the hose as the instructions state. The small round fiitng will come out after seperating the long holder.
dsc00500bo6.jpg

This is approx 1 1/2 inches of the coolant tube that needed to be removed.
dsc00491to6.jpg

I test fitted the coolant tap into place and this is about how much approx 2 inches of the hose that needed to be cut and reused.
dsc00493xr7.jpg

And a final picture of my handy work
dsc00511qr8.jpg

It went well. One item off of my list.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i have not removed my restrictor yet....actually i was going to keep in place......do you really think i need to remove it? reason i ask is i heard (in the older heater cores) that if you remove the restrictor you could bust the heater core with the additional flow....any ideas? if ther eis no risk to the core, i will take mine out!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i like how you painted your T fitting....i polished mine! oh and please no one laugh, call me a paranoid SOB but i wanted to make sure i never get a leak back there, so i used LOTS of sealant!!

DSCN2960.jpg

DSCN2959.jpg

sweet88gt

Established Member
If I remember the instructions said that it would even ot the flow to both heads????:shrug: I dont know if there is any truth to that but I followed the instructions and did what they said. If the heater core goes out that will suck bad. Maybe someone has more insight. I did a search before buying an Even Flow and did not find anyone with a blown heater core.

sweet88gt

Established Member
I see that you did not cut your coolant tube or did you?? Which kit did you get the gen 1 or gen 2?? I dont see the hold down bracket in your picture.

I find that some of the instructions that come with aftermarket parts can be vague. Pictures like these help alot.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i went with gen 2....and yes i cut some off the tube, about 1/2". I also trimmed some off the "T".....works fine.

true about the instructions saying the even flow by removing restrictor. I have not heard an issue on the cobra heater cores, but older 5.0s had that issue apparently. I have been on the fence whether or not to take it out.....my whipple still on B/O, so no riush, i got time to pop it out if i choose to.

Hopefully someone can advise!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
the bracket is there....its just under all that yummy sealant! that SOB better NOT leak.,....hahahhaha

sweet88gt

Established Member
That is true about the old 5.0 heater core. But the fact is that the 5.0 core sucked when they were new. I can see there could be a potential problem but we wont know until its too late:mj:

I am pretty sure your fitting wont leak but what kind of sealant did you use?? Is it heat resistant??

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
yep heat and chemical resistant....Ultra grey. temp up to 625 F. nice and rigid seal as well.

might have to go pop that restrictor out now ;)

sweet88gt

Established Member
I have some pics of that too. Its easy. Move the fctory clamp that holds the restrictor in place and work the hose like your milking a cow. It will come right out. Remove small restrictor by splitting the holder in 2 halves. Reinstall is just reversing steps. Let me know how it goes.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I have some pics of that too. Its easy. Move the fctory clamp that holds the restrictor in place and work the hose like your milking a cow. It will come right out. Remove small restrictor by splitting the holder in 2 halves. Reinstall is just reversing steps. Let me know how it goes.

i would really like to see some pics of the restrictor removal process. basically, which hose is it in, the relative location.....i know what the restrictor looks like, but not sure which hose its in..... can you send me a quick pic pointing to the hose and relative local of it?

i didnt have time last night to attempt removal.....lawn work got in the way!

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread