2013 FRPP TVS Kit plenum modification for 07-10

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I got my 2013 TVS kit on Friday and immediately started looking over the plenum to see how I was going to attack the vacuum port issue. For those that don't know, the 2013 plenum has only one vacuum port, but it has a provision for a sensor that the 2007-2010 GT500's don't have. Most guys were just blocking that hole off and using a series of "T" fittings to get the extra vacuum line hooked up. I didn't like the idea of having a bunch of "T"s floating around back there and I really wanted to keep the nice factory push lock adapters on the hoses. Obviously the "T" fittings work, but it just didn't look as clean as I'd like with all the hose clamps and fittings. So, here's what I did.

The hole in the back of the plenum for the evap sensor is the perfect size to use a 3/8-18 NPT tap to thread it. There wasn't any drilling or enlarging required, I just lubed up my tap and went to town. It took about 10 minutes, taking my time and cleaning the threads thoroughly, to get a nice clean thread inside the hole. This picture shows the hole after I cut the ears off and tapped the hole for the 3/8 NPT brass fitting.

F50CABC3.jpg

Once I had the threads clean and the ears ground down flat and clean, I coated a 90* 3/8 NPT to 3/8 nipple with some RTV gasket maker and threaded it in. It fit perfect.

608CC142.jpg

The next step was to salvage a push lock fitting off of the factory fuel rail feed. The FRPP kit comes with a new fuel rail, so you won't need the factory rail with this kit. So, I cut the push lock fitting off the rail with a dremmel and then sanded the cut end down clean so that it wouldn't have any burrs or sharp edges. This fitting looks like it's slightly larger than the one that's on the factory plenum, for the vacuum line that is going to be hooking to it, but it works perfectly.

6B93EC29.jpg

FDD10C14.jpg

This next picture shows where the push lock fitting is going to be and how it's oriented. It fits into the push lock fitting perfectly and locks into place the way it did on the factory plenum.

D44D8AFF.jpg

Finally, with one small 3/8 hose clamp and a few zip ties, the modification is complete. You can now use the factory push lock fitting on the vacuum line without cutting any of the factory hoses, no added "T" fittings or clamps and best of all, nothing else needed to purchase. You can do this by simply salvaging some of the parts that you would ultimately have been tossing anyway. Just one 90* 3/8 NPT fitting, a small length of hose and one hose clamp is all you'll need to have/get.

0DC465A7.jpg

I'll update this thread as I go with the install of the rest of the parts. The blower is pretty straight forward swap. Very simple and everything fits perfectly. For reference, the blower bolts are torqued to 30-35 ft.lbs. in an inside-out rotation (starting in the middle and working out, jumping from one side to the other).
:beer:

9C050344.jpg

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just to add, there might be an even easier way to get this done, without the hose and clamps if you can find a push lock fitting that is already attached to a threaded fitting. I didn't even look at Aeroquip or any other other fitting manufacturers to see if there was one that would work. I just used what I already had laying around my garage. My bet is that if you look around, you might be able to find a fitting with male 3/8 NPT threads and a push lock fitting instead of barbed hose end. I may research this later to see if there's an even cleaner or more direct way to get it done, but for now I'm happy with the outcome and moving on to the rest of the install. I'm done working on it for today, but I'll add more pics when I get back to work.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
As I suspected, Aeromotive makes fittings with the Ford push lock design integrated into it. This fitting shows the possibilities of being able to do this without any hose clamps or added hose. A 6an female to 3/8 NPT male 90 and the fitting in that link would probably make it happen. I'm not sure that 5/16 is the right fitting size, I'll have to measure it later on, but I'm sure Aeromotive makes more of those fittings with the Ford push lock adapter in various combos and configurations. More research after football!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
As I suspected, Aeromotive makes fittings with the Ford push lock design integrated into it. This fitting shows the possibilities of being able to do this without any hose clamps or added hose. A 6an female to 3/8 NPT male 90 and the fitting in that link would probably make it happen. I'm not sure that 5/16 is the right fitting size, I'll have to measure it later on, but I'm sure Aeromotive makes more of those fittings with the Ford push lock adapter in various combos and configurations. More research after football!

Looks good bud, almost exactly how VMP does the "remote" EVAP mounting on their kit.

Crushinator

Established Member
An article from Muscle Mustang. I remembered 18 as well, but the article said 30-35 for the TVS.

I have mine at 20ft/lbs...Now I wonder if I should crank them down tighter.

Damn, I have a HUGE fear of cracking the blower base.

Excellent write-up by the way!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Your probably fine, I wouldn't worry about it. But your certainly not going to crack the blower base with 35 ft.lbs. of torque. My bet is you'd strip the lower threads before you cracked the blower, but neither of those things should be happening at 35 ft.lbs. or less.

moncho

Established Member
Ditto on the write up. This closes the loop pretty much on this last detail for many who are thinking of going this route. Thanks for putting the effort on the pics as well.

Cheers,
Ray

enormous

Established Member
Looks good! I took a different route when I installed my 13 TVS on my 08 GT500. I used my original elbow as a donor and pulled the vaccum port form it and transfered it to my 13 elbow using a press fit insert. Looks stock that way.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
That's exactly what I wanted to do enormous, but my stock plenum was part of a matched Posi ported blower/plenum set so I didn't have the heart to go ripping the fitting out. I was going to start shopping around for a stocker on the cheap and do it, but when I saw that the hole was the perfect size for a 3/8 NPT tap I just had to give it a whorl. I'm very happy with the way it turned out and hopefully it will help some other guys along, that are going to do this swap.

On another note, I found one more odd issue that I never saw anyone else address before. I went to mount my L&M 72mm TB today and found that the back of the throttle motor housing was hitting the upper ear of the evap sensor mount. So much so that the TB wouldn't sit flush on the face of the plenum. I had to grind off a pretty good chunk of aluminum to get it to fit properly. Luckily it was just the boss and flashing around the bolt hole and didn't pose any risk to opening into the intake side of the plenum. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about after I fixed it. It didn't take much more than a couple seconds, but I never heard anyone else mention it before.

80A0C630.jpg

The L&M 72 is massive! A work of art; it's a shame you have to hide most of it.

29D311DC.gif

Users who are viewing this thread