What oil to use

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I looked through alot of forums and even tried searching, but to no avail. I know i've seen the question on here before but I cant find it...

The time has come for my cobra's first oil change!! The previous owner used royal purple and i've heard alot of good things about it.

What is everyone using and why? or why not?

:pop:

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
Im using German Castrol 0W-30. My first oil change, I used Mobil 1 5W-30. It was alright, I didnt have no problems with it.

I heard the German Castrol is pretty good, and Ive had GL with it so far Plus my Local Vatozone(Autozone) carries it In stock.

So Im using a Motorcraft Filter and 6.5 QTS of German Castrol 0W-30.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You dont think the 0w is too thin for use in the texas heat? My car is down in dickinson. Thanks for the info!

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I have always used Castrol in most of my previous vehicles as well as my 03 Cobra. I have had two work vehicles go well over 400,000 miles with no engine issues ( Ford Ranger & Toyota pick up). I have always believed in sticking with something that has served you well. Just my thoughts.

Jeff

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I started using Motorcraft 5w-20, then at 6,000 miles I went to
Mobil 1 5w-30.

Deftones

Established Member
Royal Purple Synthetic 5W-20 in My 03 Cobra and Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 in my daily driven 03 Honda Civic. I love both and no complaints about either.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
Try Q Horse Power..... if it's good enough for a Ferrari.... Your Mustang will love it.... I'm going to try it next oil change.... some other guy with a Cobra ran it and said it was awesome... not sure what that means... Their website is pretty sweet...

You dont think the 0w is too thin for use in the texas heat? My car is down in dickinson. Thanks for the info!

The German Castrol 0w-30 is outstanding oil. It almost thickens up to a 5w-30 oil when it heats up. I used this stuff in my old 01 Cobra and current oil analysis have shown that my Terminator motor has loved this stuff as well. Great quality oil. I wouldn't worry about excessive heat deteriorating this oil.

Jroc

Established Member
I've always used Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Motorcraft filter, but I think I might use Amsoil on my next oil change.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well... it all depends on how many miles you'll put on your engine before you change your oil.. if your going with 3000 mile oil change intervals, you could almost use the cheapest detergent oil on the shelf that meets manufacturers specifications. The ONLY reasons to run a premium motor oil such as Mobil1 is because #1 you want too go with extended oil lift interval changes and #2 you drive your car INCREDIBLY hard.

I personally use Mobil1 5W20 and take it to 10K miles (easier too remember, since when I roll over another 10,000 miles it's time to do a change)

if you think that 10K miles is extreme.. check this out..

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Drive/Drive_Around_the_World_Home.aspx

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
So many different oils...when my first oil change comes along..I'm going to flip a damn coin or 2..

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
mobil 1 5w-30 and a motorcraft filter. buy the oil from sam's club--$27 for 6 quarts, and get the filters from ford--through steve on this website.

kind of funny that sam's club carries a fully synthetic oil in large quantities--i can't picture the average american pig that shops at sam's cares that much about their car to buy this oil, but who knows

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info everyone.

Seems like the 3 most common are 0w-30, 5w-20, and 5w-30. Now to just narrow down the brands! If anyone knows a good source for technical details of different oils that would be great. My cobra sees pretty average driving with the occasional romp. Sustained high rpms isnt a big concern. I've always used motorcraft 10w-30, but never had to dig into those engines so I dont know what the ill-effects might have been.

Any other information out there?

Users who are viewing this thread